2011 Explorer XLT side view mirror convex inserts unsafe at night! Options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer XLT side view mirror convex inserts unsafe at night! Options?

steelkilt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT and 2002 XLT
All,

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. 20k miles on it, love the vehicle overall (after we took care of the cooling fan issue ;-)

However, we can no longer ignore the fact that the side view mirrors with convex insert are really unsafe at night. We get massive reflections in the mini convex insert from oncoming traffic causing the driver to misjudge what he/she is actually seeing in the main mirror.

Are others experiencing this problem? I'm going to raise the driver's seat higher to try and help with poor visibility overall (day and night) but I wondered if anyone has suggestions re: how to improve things at night? The convex inserts are very helpful during the day as they take care of the blind spot issue. At night they create a real danger.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello!

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. 20k miles on it, love the vehicle overall (after we took care of the cooling fan issue ;-)

However, we can no longer ignore the fact that the side view mirrors with convex insert are really unsafe at night. We get massive reflections in the mini convex insert from traffic behind us, causing the driver to misjudge what he/she is actually seeing in the main mirror.

Are others experiencing this problem? I'm going to raise the driver's seat higher to try and help with poor visibility overall (day and night) but I wondered if anyone has suggestions re: how to improve things at night? The convex inserts are very helpful during the day as they take care of the blind spot issue. At night they create a real danger.

Thanks

I have those mirrors also but don't have issues at night...maybe you can try to find blue antiglare tint film...similar to the mirrors that have auto dimming

Hello!

However, we can no longer ignore the fact that the side view mirrors with convex insert are really unsafe at night. We get massive reflections in the mini convex insert from oncoming traffic causing the driver to misjudge what he/she is actually seeing in the main mirror.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum steelkilt.:wavey:
You say you have reflections from oncoming traffic?? Don't you mean traffic behind you? I have used the 2" stick-on convex mirrors for as long as I can remember and I've been driving for almost 50 years. I have never had a problem with them at night. I stick them on the bottom outside corners of the mirrors and that way you can actually see the rear wheels. Very handy for parking where you can't use the self park feature, if you have it.
Your post is the first I've read with this particular complaint.

Peter

You say you have reflections from oncoming traffic?? Don't you mean traffic behind you? I have used the 2" stick-on convex mirrors for as long as I can remember and I've been driving for almost 50 years. I have never had a problem with them at night. I stick them on the bottom outside corners of the mirrors and that way you can actually see the rear wheels. Very handy for parking where you can't use the self park feature, if you have it.

Peter

Agreed, I think those inserts are great

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes I meant traffic behind the vehicle. The OEM xlt mirrors have the convex mini mirrors in the upper outside corner and we definitely have issues with glare at night. I will check the suggested link below. Thanks all!

Try adjusting your mirrors per the following link. I have mine adjusted this way and have not noticed any problems.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Thanks, I will definitely try angling both mirrors out further so we don't see any of our car in the side view. We won't know if this helps with reflectivity in the mini-convex mirrors at night until we test following the change.

I guess your 2012 XLT has the same OEM mini convex mirrors in the outside upper corners?

Thanks

Peter

^ I couldn't agree more, I've also been using versions of those mirrors for 30 years , I wont bring home a vehicle unless I have those on them.

Are your front side windows tinted ?, sometimes tint materials can create odd reflections in certain conditions. My windows are the factory glass, not tinted after the fact.

Unsafe at night? Not for me. Work just fine.

Unsafe at night? Says who? Most would agree that those mirrors are very handy. And without some $2 stick-on Chinese piece.

Thanks, I will definitely try angling both mirrors out further so we don't see any of our car in the side view. We won't know if this helps with reflectivity in the mini-convex mirrors at night until we test following the change.

I guess your 2012 XLT has the same OEM mini convex mirrors in the outside upper corners?

Thanks

Yes, I have the same OEM mini convex mirrors in the outside top corners.

i agree. I also have zero issues with reflecting.

Unsafe at night? Says who? Most would agree that those mirrors are very handy. And without some $2 stick-on Chinese piece.
For those of us that have the BLIS or regular mirrors, those stick-on mirrors are an excellent safety addition when properly placed, and you sure can't beat the price.;)

Peter

Back