2011 explorer xlt start up after timing chain replacement help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 explorer xlt start up after timing chain replacement help

Pedro Mejia

Reaction score
City, State
Austin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer XLT
I'm new to the forum have been reading in the past just sign up today. need some help. So 2 weeks ago my wife's 2011 explorer xlt with the 3.5 na lost oil pressure. checked it oil pump gave out. replaced the oil pump, water pump, spark plugs, and timing chain. Have the repair manual downloaded and did everything to the t. but when we first started it ran fine for a few then died like timing was off. checked it and found timing was off. we reset the timing and hand turn it a few times after the two turns timing moves forward. have done everything as we should just wondering if i need to start it a few times to get the timing right due to the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) or do we need to do something else.

I'm new to the forum have been reading in the past just sign up today. need some help. So 2 weeks ago my wife's 2011 explorer xlt with the 3.5 na lost oil pressure. checked it oil pump gave out. replaced the oil pump, water pump, spark plugs, and timing chain. Have the repair manual downloaded and did everything to the t. but when we first started it ran fine for a few then died like timing was off. checked it and found timing was off. we reset the timing and hand turn it a few times after the two turns timing moves forward. have done everything as we should just wondering if i need to start it a few times to get the timing right due to the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) or do we need to do something else.

When you lost oil pressure, your cam phasers might have went. The cam phasers are highly sensitive to oil pressure.

Welcome to the Forum Pedro.:wave:
Hope you get it sorted out. There are several knowledgeable members here.

Peter

When you lost oil pressure, your cam phasers might have went. The cam phasers are highly sensitive to oil pressure.
The cam phasers them selves or the cam phasers sensors? Do you know how I would check them?

Back