2011 Ford Explorer high beams stuck ON!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer high beams stuck ON!!

Debra Larsen

Reaction score
City, State
White Bear Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
The only way the high beams shut off is when I turn the engine off......but they stay on for about 15-20 before shutting off. I drove home last night on a 2 lane highway with my headlights turned OFF but the high beams stayed on. I know the approaching drivers had to be really angry and I don't blame them. I have a limited income but I am really good at fixing things on my own. Is there a way I can fix this myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only way the high beams shut off is when I turn the engine off......but they stay on for about 15-20 before shutting off. I drove home last night on a 2 lane highway with my headlights turned OFF but the high beams stayed on. I know the approaching drivers had to be really angry and I don't blame them. I have a limited income but I am really good at fixing things on my own. Is there a way I can fix this myself?
Welcome to the Forum Debra.:wave:
The chances are that the shutter/shield that moves down for low beams and up for high beams is not working. I'm guessing it may be an electrical problem since it is unlikely that both would be physically 'stuck' at the same time. There was another member that had an issue with one of his headlights slowly going from high to low due to a binding shutter. The Explorer only has a single bulb in each headlight and it is the shutter retracting and lowering that gives you the high/low beam. The reason your lights stay on after shutting down could be that you have them set on delay. Check the settings in the left info display.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

If the high beams are on while the headlights are off, I would begin looking at the stalk first. Is the high beam tell-tale turned on in the cluster when this occurs?

Did you modify your headlights with HIDs? If so, check the relay if you used a harness.

If not, my guess would be a bad relay. I would check that.

Did you modify your headlights with HIDs? If so, check the relay if you used a harness.

If not, my guess would be a bad relay. I would check that.
The 2011 Manual doesn't show any relays for the headlamps. Just fuses.

Peter

If the OP used aftermarket HIDs, a relay would be used to bypass line from the BCM to get cleaner power.

If the OP used aftermarket HIDs, a relay would be used to bypass line from the BCM to get cleaner power.
Thanks. My reply was actually to the statement; "If not, my guess would be a bad relay. I would check that." Which I guessed to mean an OEM relay.
The OP hasn't been back to comment after her original post so it's difficult to say exactly where we're going with this issue. Not sure if she may have a Limited with OEM HID or not.

Peter

Thanks. My reply was actually to the statement; "If not, my guess would be a bad relay. I would check that." Which I guessed to mean an OEM relay.
The OP hasn't been back to comment after her original post so it's difficult to say exactly where we're going with this issue. Not sure if she may have a Limited with OEM HID or not.

Peter

You interpretted my comment correctly.

I would assume there would be a relay for the headlights because anything that draws a decent amount of current should go through a relay. Unless if Ford is using transistors or mosfets to turn apply current to the headlights.

Maybe even a bad switch might be causing this? I don’t know the wiring of the Explorer well enough but that’s another guess.

^ can confirm there are FETs used in the halogen lighting setup.

Back