2011 ford explorer: Leak in clean air duct between airbox and throttle body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 ford explorer: Leak in clean air duct between airbox and throttle body

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
I noticed a leak on the clean air duct that goes between the airbox and the throttle body. It's a multiple plastic piece design, hot-plate welded together. I noticed oil traces right were the upper/lower shell of the duct are hot-plate welded to the convolute/bellows portion. This is abour 3-4 inches upstream of the throttle body.
That can't be good for the engine, because if oil is coming out, dirty air can also be sucked into the engine. I'm at the 30,000 mile mark.
I suggest you check that clean air duct for any traces of oil, which would indicate a leak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed a leak on the clean air duct that goes between the airbox and the throttle body. It's a multiple plastic piece design, hot-plate welded together. I noticed oil traces right were the upper/lower shell of the duct are hot-plate welded to the convolute/bellows portion. This is abour 3-4 inches upstream of the throttle body.
That can't be good for the engine, because if oil is coming out, dirty air can also be sucked into the engine. I'm at the 30,000 mile mark.
I suggest you check that clean air duct for any traces of oil, which would indicate a leak.
Is that the same as in the following thread?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384561

Peter

Is that the same as in the following thread?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384561

Peter

Hi Peter, they might be somewhat related, although what I think the clean air duct on my vehicle has is an actual "leak" which is allowing the oil to "ooze" out. But that oil shouldn't even be there in the first place, which is what is address in that other post. I will wait to see what my dealer says...

Problem fixed by the dealership: complete air intake (between air box and throttle body) was replaced.

Problem fixed by the dealership: complete air intake (between air box and throttle body) was replaced.
But how did the oil get in there in the first place? If that issue wasn't addressed then it could possibly happen again.

Peter

But how did the oil get in there in the first place? If that issue wasn't addressed then it could possibly happen again.

Peter

Peter, I think a slight amount of oil inside the clean air duct can be expected, since there are two engine PCV return ports attached to the clean air duct dumping engine air back into the duct, with some degree of oil mist...

Back