2011 Ford Explorer Replacing Fan Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Replacing Fan Assembly

brilor04

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Ford Explorer Limited
Hey Everyone,

Bought my Explorer back in March with 60,000 miles on it. Love it so far but am now just learning about the elusive fan assembly issue that's plaguing this vehicle. Currently I have a bum fan assembly and brought it to my local for dealer and its going to cost roughly around $615 to replace.

I guess it was replaced under the 12B36 recall back in May of 2012 but has since crapped out again.

Does anyone know is this an easily replaceable part? I have a connection to get me the replacement part for less than the dealer and I know if I bring to them than the work won't be guaranteed but the cost to replace the part is roughly $300 and I'd rather pay that than $615.

It would be ideal if I can get the part though and replace myself but want to get anyone's thoughts or horror stories on their own attempts first.

Thanks!

-brilor04

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't comment on the work required to replace the fan assembly but the 12B36 Customer Satisfaction Program was to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to prevent contamination from accumulating in the future. It was not to specifically replace the fans. You could possibly still have the original fans.

Peter

Is it quite possible that the current recall on the PCM would fix the issues I'm having with the fan assembly? Currently I have this recall:

ID: 13E04

Title: PCM CONFIGURATION ERROR

I'm not aware of that recall. I doubt it would fix a fan that isn't working correctly but you should have the recall done anyway just to see.

Peter

Thanks. Got the part and seems that there are just 2 bolts up top and tabs that the bottom that the fan assembly lock into. I'll use a bungee cord to keep the radiator hose out of the way and replace the fan assembly and schedule a time where Ford can perform the recall. Hopefully that fixes it. Thanks for your help Peter!

Does anyone know is this an easily replaceable part? I have a connection to get me the replacement part for less than the dealer and I know if I bring to them than the work won't be guaranteed but the cost to replace the part is roughly $300 and I'd rather pay that than $615.

Not true, Ford parts and accessories come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. As long as you have a receipt for a Ford dealer for the part (I am assuming your connection is a Ford connection), the part will have a warranty and even if a different dealer puts it in, labor is covered for the same period.

If a non Ford dealer puts it in, Ford will reimburse labor up to $150 if it fails and needs to be replaced again under the 2 year warranty.

I agree with what you're saying blwnsmoke and I think they are basically just blowing smoke up my ass. Yes the part DID come from a Ford Dealer but I think they just wanted the $615 from me.

I'm replacing the part today and I'll let you know how it goes. I heard it was a 10 minute job from a Ford tech so should be pretty simple. All Ford will then have to do is the recalled PCM update and hopefully that will completely fix the issue.

Back