2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems?

HiGrafX

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Has anyone had or heard of any transmission problems? My 3-week-old explorer is in the shop for the second time for what started as a low humming noise that developed into a loud grinding noise. And while driving at about 55mph a few days ago the tranny or something in the drivetrain momentarily seized. It was a frightening experience. I immediately called my dealer ant told him come get it. I did not feel safe driving it.

My dealership picked it up and gave me a loaner. They did all the tests and said the problem is inside the transmission. They are waiting for instructions from Ford on how to proceed. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They might end up replacing the transmission since the dealer doesn't rebuild the transmission.

I just hope its fixed fast and doesn't develop other problems because of this.

You could say that you want a different vehicle, and you're not replacing the transmission in a new vehicle. Look into the lemon law if the dealer gives you a hard time. You could also contact Ford or the Ford customer service representatives on this site (Seni or Cory).

You could say that you want a different vehicle, and you're not replacing the transmission in a new vehicle. Look into the lemon law if the dealer gives you a hard time. You could also contact Ford or the Ford customer service representatives on this site (Seni or Cory).

I could, NJ has a very strict lemon law. I think they get 3 shots at fixing it. But it took so long to get this one, 4 months.

Sorry to hear about the transmission issue. Hope it gets resolved thoroughly and without further issues.

Trans replacement

Don't manic, I bought a new 911 and received a recall one week later to replace the transmision. It was replaced in one day and all was well. Let the process happen.

Most states lemon laws are 3 fixes.. if they can't r/r the tranny, a new one will be required and should fix the issue. Ford will take care of you. I would be a little disappointed in having the Ex in for a tranny issue however I wouldn't be upset if they are replacing the tranny.. it's not like they are tearing down the engine and repairing something internal.. you will most likely get a tranny shipped from Ford complete.

Has anyone had or heard of any transmission problems? My 3-week-old explorer is in the shop for the second time for what started as a low humming noise that developed into a loud grinding noise. And while driving at about 55mph a few days ago the tranny or something in the drivetrain momentarily seized. It was a frightening experience. I immediately called my dealer ant told him come get it. I did not feel safe driving it.

My dealership picked it up and gave me a loaner. They did all the tests and said the problem is inside the transmission. They are waiting for instructions from Ford on how to proceed. :(

Ours has developed the same issue. At highway speeds there is a low, light drawn out and rythmic humming. It starts low, develops a peak and becomes less over a 3 second time period and then starts again. I took it in to the dealer and they didn't find anything, but identified the grill was loose, the A pillar issue. Parts are on order. Now there is a TSB on the front bolster inside the lower grill. I took the lower grill off and the styro foam is in place but I see how it could create some harmonics when receiving highway speed air. FYI - We also have the MFT, remote door unlock issue, fuel gauge issue, lower valance issue and blind spot issue.

I can't believe there are so many issues. I will call and write Ford tomorrow.

Ours has developed the same issue. At highway speeds there is a low, light drawn out and rythmic humming. It starts low, develops a peak and becomes less over a 3 second time period and then starts again. I took it in to the dealer and they didn't find anything, but identified the grill was loose, the A pillar issue. Parts are on order. Now there is a TSB on the front bolster inside the lower grill. I took the lower grill off and the styro foam is in place but I see how it could create some harmonics when receiving highway speed air. FYI - We also have the MFT, remote door unlock issue, fuel gauge issue, lower valance issue and blind spot issue.

I can't believe there are so many issues. I will call and write Ford tomorrow.

When was your Explorer built? Sounds like one of the earlier ones.

BrooklynBay, thank you for the recommendation to contact us about the concern.

HiGrafX & bogeydog,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having an issue already. I can understand wanting everything perfect with your new Explorer, and I would like to look into this for you. If you send me a private message with your VIN, the dealer name, and your approximate mileage, then I can escalate your concern to assist with getting this resolved.

Cory

BrooklynBay, thank you for the recommendation to contact us about the concern.

HiGrafX & bogeydog,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having an issue already. I can understand wanting everything perfect with your new Explorer, and I would like to look into this for you. If you send me a private message with your VIN, the dealer name, and your approximate mileage, then I can escalate your concern to assist with getting this resolved.

Cory

Thanks Cory, message is sent.

Just got off the phone with the service manager. 3 days of running test and Ford wants more tests done. Then if it is the transmission and ford finally decides to send one. Probably another 10 days for that. I'm fed up. This has been the worst purchase experience of my life. 4 months to get a vehicle i cant drive.

Just got off the phone with the service manager. 3 days of running test and Ford wants more tests done. Then if it is the transmission and ford finally decides to send one. Probably another 10 days for that. I'm fed up. This has been the worst purchase experience of my life. 4 months to get a vehicle i cant drive.

They should do the tests on their own time, not on yours. I'd want the transmission replaced - that's unacceptable.

They should do the tests on their own time, not on yours. I'd want the transmission replaced - that's unacceptable.

I agree. They should overnight a transmission and fix it.

I think they are doing research on your vehicle for free rather than just wanting to fix it... If I were you. Demand Ford give something in return for your troubles. No customer should wait this long for a new car. New model or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back