• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer woes.

gfrjr

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
I don't know where to begin, so I will list some of the more common issues that happen to me (since I have had the car...just thought it would "go away" ?!) when trying to use the Sync system. I have researched this on-line and realize many people are having the same problem(s) ! I'm just wondering if ANYONE is completely satisfied and if anyone has a vehicle with NO problems and ALL systems are operating properly...OR are most of the Sync systems "lemons" !!!

Here are some of my bizarre symptoms and believe me, I would not be taking time out of my busy schedule to complain and write this detailed email. And they HAVE happened. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was a glitch here or there, but when you read some of my weird off & on symptoms, you'll understand !

*Clock is off anywhere from 15 mins to 3 hours, 3 - 5 times/week !
*Sometimes cannot sync with phone, happened about 6 times so far and the last time was the worse, lasting 6 days !!! Then all of a sudden it worked yesterday !
*Having difficulty hanging up calls, privacy light stays on ?
*Navigation system takes sometimes forever to "boot up"., blank screen, have to drive around for 3-5 miles for it to start working again.
*Navigation previous destinations only stores last few and seems there is room to store many more ?
*For 1 full week my radio would blast out to "level 12", (12 notches) even when I was listening to my Spa satellite radio on low volume !
*The "spelling" during the navigation prompting is VERY difficult to use, sometimes up to 1/2 hour of "talking" to prompt for directions !! (You would think they would have a voice recognition time period to understand MY voice)!!
*There are NUMEROUS delays between pushing the touchscreen and getting the specific request function to work !
*The weirdest one of all !!!, and this has happened about 6 times ! When I shut the car off and open my driver door, there is a delay on the music going off and all of a sudden, my Blackberry cell phone begins playing this same sort of fast pace, upbeat ballad like the "Lord of the Dance" for about 1 minute, even when I take my cell phone into my house, it is still playing this crazy same old upbeat ballad...it's possessed !, AND I cannot turn it off, until it quits on it's own !

*There are other issues, I'm sure, I just can't remember them for now !

In addition to the Sync... Here are a few of some other issues Ford may or may not be aware of...

*The "Auto" heating seems to come on very quickly in the cold weather, thereby blowing cold air on you until the car heats up. (I end up shutting off the system so it doesn't blow cold air on me). Is there an adjustment for this to come on when the temperature gets to a Hightower temperature ?

*My panic alarm goes off very frequently while in my pants pocket, is there a setting to eliminate this or "lock it out" ? This is very annoying and I would never use this option.

*Back door hatch still occasionally opens back up, so now I just shut it manually !

*Car off, driver door open, trunk open, & when I opened the left rear door...the panic alarm went on !!, turned off panic alarm on key chain...opened right rear door next & the panic alarm went on again !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When did you purchase the X? Build date?
what version of MFT is on the X?
Have you taken it to the dealer?
Have them upgrade it to the latest version?

What version of sync do you have??? 2.8 is the latest - if you don't have it make an appnt. with your dealer. This may take care of a number of your issues. For the clock issue there is a setting you can change to, I think it's DST on?

Seems like all of your problems revolve around MFT or the vehicle electronics.

I'd ge taking it in for some warranty work.

WOW! Lots of issues there...or perhaps just one issue-the MFT.
Sounds like you have a bad APIM module.

I have 2.7 Sync..it runs flawless(no navigation).
I have had zero issues with my Explorer.
My build was late March, delivery in mid-April, 850 miles on it.
I have not even had a "system maintenance" come up.

What has your dealer done to try & fix the issues so far?

I'm just wondering if ANYONE is completely satisfied and if anyone has a vehicle with NO problems and ALL systems are operating properly

I am completely satisfied. Only a minor BT issue when adding the second phone.

Yours looks like an early build with a bad APIM. For your "weirdest one of all"...that's the BB. My old one did that with the original sync in certain conditions. It had to do with the BT disconnection. Never had that problem after moving up to OS 5 and above.

Hmmmm, I wonder how many units have been sold so far. Just for example sake. Lets say 100,000. Now how many people are on here, the 2011 segment. Not very many. Most of the people on here, are here because their vehicle is not working the way it is intended to. Ex wasn't working, surfed the internet, found serious explorations. It has been said over and over that most people are on here to spout off about how mad they are ( and rightfully so ). There are going to be troubles in certain vehicles. Now the only real issue I see affecting the whole fleet they are making is the rain noise one. All the other issues are sporadic and not a panoptic problem on all vehicles. It is very nice to drive and once the MFT issues are taken care of, it works perfectly. Fast, responsive and a dream to use. Love it.

WOW! Lots of issues there...or perhaps just one issue-the MFT.
Sounds like you have a bad APIM module.

I think this is it. We had a few of those problems and we were on 2.4 and an early build date of December. The final straw for me was the system went dead. Black screen. They replaced the APIM Module and for the last month the system has been perfect!
Setup an appointment.

Had mine for two months, 2,800 miles. No problems, no complaints. I'm completely satisfied, like a vast majority of owners.

Well... I've had my X for a couple of weeks... love it.

But I will say MFT is laggy... and it got quirky one day where my XM channels where all blank... and did i say it was laggy? I mean it does say Microsoft on it... so not really surpried ;) but I still love it.

I figure I'll wait a while before trying to get the latest version installed.

How can I see what version I have in there now?

I think I'd be back at the dealer getting it fixed.

My '11 is another that has very few issues. I'm quite happy with it. Right now I'm waiting on a new driver's side mirror light (moisture issue) and one of the bars in my rear defroster is out. I have Sync/MFT 2.7 and it's been working very well, no lag, quick hookup, taps work the first time, etc. I had trouble getting my phone to sync, but once it was sync'd, it's worked well.

I don't know where to begin, so I will list some of the more common issues that happen to me (since I have had the car...just thought it would "go away" ?!) when trying to use the Sync system. I have researched this on-line and realize many people are having the same problem(s) ! I'm just wondering if ANYONE is completely satisfied and if anyone has a vehicle with NO problems and ALL systems are operating properly...OR are most of the Sync systems "lemons" !!!

Here are some of my bizarre symptoms and believe me, I would not be taking time out of my busy schedule to complain and write this detailed email. And they HAVE happened. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was a glitch here or there, but when you read some of my weird off & on symptoms, you'll understand !

*Clock is off anywhere from 15 mins to 3 hours, 3 - 5 times/week !
*Sometimes cannot sync with phone, happened about 6 times so far and the last time was the worse, lasting 6 days !!! Then all of a sudden it worked yesterday !
*Having difficulty hanging up calls, privacy light stays on ?
*Navigation system takes sometimes forever to "boot up"., blank screen, have to drive around for 3-5 miles for it to start working again.
*Navigation previous destinations only stores last few and seems there is room to store many more ?
*For 1 full week my radio would blast out to "level 12", (12 notches) even when I was listening to my Spa satellite radio on low volume !
*The "spelling" during the navigation prompting is VERY difficult to use, sometimes up to 1/2 hour of "talking" to prompt for directions !! (You would think they would have a voice recognition time period to understand MY voice)!!
*There are NUMEROUS delays between pushing the touchscreen and getting the specific request function to work !
*The weirdest one of all !!!, and this has happened about 6 times ! When I shut the car off and open my driver door, there is a delay on the music going off and all of a sudden, my Blackberry cell phone begins playing this same sort of fast pace, upbeat ballad like the "Lord of the Dance" for about 1 minute, even when I take my cell phone into my house, it is still playing this crazy same old upbeat ballad...it's possessed !, AND I cannot turn it off, until it quits on it's own !

*There are other issues, I'm sure, I just can't remember them for now !

In addition to the Sync... Here are a few of some other issues Ford may or may not be aware of...

*The "Auto" heating seems to come on very quickly in the cold weather, thereby blowing cold air on you until the car heats up. (I end up shutting off the system so it doesn't blow cold air on me). Is there an adjustment for this to come on when the temperature gets to a Hightower temperature ?

*My panic alarm goes off very frequently while in my pants pocket, is there a setting to eliminate this or "lock it out" ? This is very annoying and I would never use this option.

*Back door hatch still occasionally opens back up, so now I just shut it manually !

*Car off, driver door open, trunk open, & when I opened the left rear door...the panic alarm went on !!, turned off panic alarm on key chain...opened right rear door next & the panic alarm went on again !!

I am having pretty much the same problems as "gfrjr". FYI w/ IPhone 4

when i bought my XLT and he was showing me the MFT and pairing my phone, first thing he asked was whether I had an iPhone4... my salesperson said the iphone 4 was not compatible with the MFT. I have a 3GS so that was ok and it paired no problem.

I am having pretty much the same problems as "gfrjr". FYI w/ IPhone 4

Back