2011 Ford Explorer! | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer!

thaywood, you're not even real,
rest it ,,

Oh yeah, I'm real. You just don't wanna accept it because my opinion isn't exactly the same as yours. With that said, get over it. I ain't goin' anywhere. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's not get carried away now. :D
You are right! I got carried away in the heat of the moment (that is the same way I got my first kid). I lost my head. What ever could I have been thinking. Talk all you want, unclemeat, I just cannot go for Mr. O.

Now I will shut up!

Has anybody seen what octane gas the 2011 takes 87 or 91 (92 outside of cali ) ?
It would be great if it took regular old 87!

Got to test drive the most basic entry level model out in Palm Springs briefly and I must say I was mighty impressed with the road handling, turning radius. I am pretty close to deciding, the only down side is the sheer size, it is a bit more than I need, I wish i knew if they were planning a shorter sport in the future ! Also the inability to install a locking gas cap is kind of odd but not a deal killer.

I'm sure it's the 87...

Has anybody seen what octane gas the 2011 takes 87 or 91 (92 outside of cali ) ?

Got to test drive the most basic entry level model out in Palm Springs briefly and I must say I was mighty impressed with the road handling, turning radius. I am pretty close to deciding, the only down side is the sheer size, it is a bit more than I need, I wish i knew if they were planning a shorter sport in the future ! Also the inability to install a locking gas cap is kind of odd but not a deal killer.

It takes 87. And you could think of the Edge as the Explorer Sport I suppose. But it doesn't have the same AWD tech. And it's still 4 doors...

You can put a different gas cap on. Talked to the dealer yesterday about the gas system and he said it could be swapped out for a regular cap.

As for a shorter version, that's exactly what the Edge is. Test drove both today and they are very similar. The Edge is a little quicker, handles a little better and is available only in FWD or AWD. The Explorer is larger, rides better, has a higher towing capacity, has the new Advance Track 4WD system and has better creature comforts for the rear passengers.

We ended up buying the Explorer. If it had just been my wife and I, we would have bought the Edge.

You can put a different gas cap on. Talked to the dealer yesterday about the gas system and he said it could be swapped out for a regular cap.

As for a shorter version, that's exactly what the Edge is. Test drove both today and they are very similar. The Edge is a little quicker, handles a little better and is available only in FWD or AWD. The Explorer is larger, rides better, has a higher towing capacity, has the new Advance Track 4WD system and has better creature comforts for the rear passengers.

We ended up buying the Explorer. If it had just been my wife and I, we would have bought the Edge.

That's a pretty good comparison. I also test drove the Edge and it actually has a surprising amount of room in it, but the ride isn't as good, like you said. The Explorer's "4WD" isn't true 4WD, though, it's just a selectable AWD system.

Also the inability to install a locking gas cap is kind of odd but not a deal killer.
As far as I know, it takes regular 87 octane gasoline. The brochure I have for the Canadian version, states a locking gas plug (that's what they call it) is an available accessory.

As far as I know, it takes regular 87 octane gasoline. The brochure I have for the Canadian version, states a locking gas plug (that's what they call it) is an available accessory.

Yup, you CAN get a locking gas cap for the no-cap system the new Fords have. Go to ford.com and build a Taurus and you'll see a picture of it. Has to be the same thing for the Explorer. $25 bucks from your dealerships parts store (or might be online too).

8801EF28-6D8F-10B6-DF41-F6EEDF41F6EE.jpg

Deter tampering and enhance your peace of mind with the available precision-fit Locking Fuel Plug. Easy on and off at the twist of a key. For use with the Easy Fuel™ Capless Fuel Filler System.

Man..going back and reading some of the posts in this thread is interesting...and since I've taken on moderator duties in this forum, I'll stick my .02 in. :p:

My take on the new Explorer vs. older Explorers. I've had a '92 that was mostly stock and saw nothing much more difficult than forestry roads, a '94 that was lifted and locked that saw true offroading, an '01 that was mildly lifted and saw true offroading, and now an '11 that will probably never see anything more than forestry roads or trails.

Is the new Explorer in the same vein of vehicles as the older ones? No, not even close. The only thing that makes it an "Explorer" is the name. Is there something wrong with that? No, welcome to evolution. You can't please everyone all the time, so, a company like Ford chooses to aim the vehicle features at the segment of the population that it thinks will generate the most revenue. It has opted to go away from the truck platform here because it feels that the market, in general, doesn't want that. Yes it may irritate a small amount of people that it's not a truck anymore, but Ford is a corporation and they follow the money trail, not the sentiment trail.

Want a Ford truck? Buy a Ranger or an F-series. Want a vehicle that can haul a decent amount of people or cargo, can tow 5000 lbs, go mildly off the beaten path, get reasonable gas mileage and have great creature features? Buy an Explorer.

Coming from someone who has done plenty of wheeling, I'm not disappointed that the Explorer has left it's roots as a RBV. The name is just a placard on the front of a vehicle. Don't like the vehicle? Go buy one with a different name on the front that suits your purpose. If I decide to go back into wheeling, I won't be modifying an Explorer this time, I'll be going back to a Samurai. Far easier vehicle to modify for offroading than any Explorer.

And has been said above, don't bash it if you haven't driven one and please don't degrade other members for their choice in vehicles. All are more than welcome to state their opinions (as many already have), but please keep it civil.

Well put JD.

Put the order in last Friday; XLT/4WD, 202A, trailer tow, moonroof, pwr liftgate, gold leaf/light stone. :D Now all that's left is to wait and then enjoy.

I owned a '91 and '97, still have the '97.

I had my first actual experience with a 2011 yesterday at the Detroit Autoshow- I just sat in it. It's big. The distance from driver's seat to the front bumper feels like a long ways away. Parking and tight space manuevering will take some getting used to. Step in height was good for me. General ergonomics in either front seat seemed fine. All the stuff you can touch felt very nice and high quality.

I also sat in the back seat. I felt like the seat was a little low (or the floor was too high). I'm 6'0" and it felt like my knees were too far upward to be comfortable on a long trip.

Overall pretty nice. But I think I'd still have to try to put it in my garage during a test drive before I made the final call- it's wide AND long.

Overall pretty nice. But I think I'd still have to try to put it in my garage during a test drive before I made the final call- it's wide AND long.
That's going to be my problem too. I have a double garage with one side shorter than the other due to an enclosed entrance into the basement. I back the Highlander in on that side and am still able to walk around the back of it. The EX is 9" longer so that will present a bit of a problem. I guess :bsnicker: someone is going to be cleaning out and moving stuff from the other side of the garage come Spring!;)

I had my first actual experience with a 2011 yesterday at the Detroit Autoshow- I just sat in it. It's big. The distance from driver's seat to the front bumper feels like a long ways away. Parking and tight space manuevering will take some getting used to. Step in height was good for me. General ergonomics in either front seat seemed fine. All the stuff you can touch felt very nice and high quality.

I also sat in the back seat. I felt like the seat was a little low (or the floor was too high). I'm 6'0" and it felt like my knees were too far upward to be comfortable on a long trip.

For me it will be a downsize. Going from a 05 Supercrew to this....

Thankfully the Supercrew fit in my garage so I'm sure this will too. However, it probably won't see much time in there as the Mustangs have dibs...:D

Two points:

I have a 05 explorer, lifted 91 sport on 33s and a 04 Level II Ranger. I was disapointed with the 05 X due to its clearance issues independent suspension at all four corners. It is too big and heavy, and it gets crappy gas milage (15-mpg). I just dont see a lot of overall differance in the weak points of the 05 and the 11. Now I do agree that the stuff that was changed make for a much better highway driveing experince.

Secondly, in business the customer is never wrong. Big business seem to think that the stockholder is never wrong. Ford make already makes the taurs, edge, flex and escape. All very similar. Now they have another clone, which they have decided to call explorer. As a loyal customer I am very unhappy about being dumped for profit. This site is proof about the demand for a Gen I or II explorer capable vehicle. It was that platform which sold better than any other SUV. So dumping those customers to follow the leader, seams like a poor business decision.

It was that platform which sold better than any other SUV.

It sold great back when the market was supportive of it. In the 2011 market, a brand new gen I or gen II won't sell well. Markets change.

So dumping those customers to follow the leader, seams like a poor business decision.

Sure helps to keep the lights on though.

Two points:
Secondly, in business the customer is never wrong. Big business seem to think that the stockholder is never wrong. .

I think that is a very 1950s marketing mentality, I guess it still kind of works for fast food, or mom and pop places . But companies like Apple have proven time and again, if you research what people don't have yet, design an incredible product that fills a niche and tell people they want it, tell people they need it, you could have a hit product ..... You don't let customers design your product or you end up with a Homer Simpson mobile.

If you make a great vehicle that is going to fill a huge niche in a new and exciting way, people will buy it. If you keep presenting the same old thing with repackaged designs you lose the race to companies that are evolving and creating new markets. The key is creating new markets as the old ones dry up. Ford did not have a vehicle that filled the niche that is opening up, a CUV, fuel efficient hauler that drives great and can also go off road just in case. Fits my needs perfectly and I have been looking for long time at many different vehicles. Ford did not go out to malls and ask people what they wanted, they researched how people were using the current Explorer and created a new kind of vehicle that would fill that %90 user base.

Sales of the Explorer plummented over the last years. Ford had to do something to save the Explorer. The look was old and dated. Now it is fresh and exciting. The high tech features are welcomed. This new Explorer can pull something relative to it's size, but if you want a hauler, then look at the Expedition. I would bet that Ford will please customers and the stockholder with this new design. Now, if you could just get the dealers to sell it at a reasonable price.
T

Those are same arguments we heard when ford released the Gen III. Well, it did not do what they wanted it to. "Those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have yet to see one. I do actually want to see the "car" in person, not because I have any intention whatsoever of buying one (I couldn't afford it even if I did), I just want to see it. I want to sit in it and see how a Taurus station wagon feels:D. But I have yet to see one anywhere within a 50 mile radius of where I live. There are none at any of the local dealerships anywhere around me. But I'm sure one will show up here...eventually.

Back