2011 Ford Explorer! | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer!

I can't keep the generations straight. What was the variations or major mods that changed? ( Cliff Notes)
I know I owned a 92'. It was an XL for work. Really underpowerd. AC wasn't worth a flip. That when the Explorer was leading the sales figures.

I have a faithful 98 Expedition, the dealerships do not want to give you anything for it, nor the loyalty discount. It is a ford, right? Thats loyalty. The dealers think $1000 is a huge discount. Whoopie! Salesman do not even call you back once they know your not looking to be taken.

I want one, but on my terms. The dealerships can keep goofing around until I find something else, maybe a Dodge. Curious to see how Dodge will price the Durango. It as pricey as the Explorer, but Dodge needs to get in the game with something, fast to compete. ( My company Dodge runs care free.)
T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have yet to see one. I do actually want to see the "car" in person, not because I have any intention whatsoever of buying one (I couldn't afford it even if I did), I just want to see it. I want to sit in it and see how a Taurus station wagon feels:D. But I have yet to see one anywhere within a 50 mile radius of where I live. There are none at any of the local dealerships anywhere around me. But I'm sure one will show up here...eventually.

Actually, it's much closer to a stretched Edge, not the Taurus...:p:.

I will say that after looking at a bunch of new Ford vehicles lined up together at the dealership, the Explorer does fit the lineup. Once you get past the standard cars, you have the small, old style SUV (Escape) and the Sport-Trac, the newer small SUV (Edge, think replacement for the Explorer Sport), the new larger SUV (Explorer) the BIG SUV (Expedition), the station wagon (Flex), and then the full size F-line. I would think that the Sport-Trac or Escape might be on the way out due to the design, technology and styling of the newer vehicles.

I have yet to see one. I do actually want to see the "car" in person, not because I have any intention whatsoever of buying one (I couldn't afford it even if I did), I just want to see it. I want to sit in it and see how a Taurus station wagon feels:D. But I have yet to see one anywhere within a 50 mile radius of where I live. There are none at any of the local dealerships anywhere around me. But I'm sure one will show up here...eventually.

Crown Ford in Fayettville says they HAVE 4- a White Platinum, a Tuxedo Black, a Ingot Silver Mat, and a Bordeaux!!

Actually, it's much closer to a stretched Edge, not the Taurus...:p:.

I will say that after looking at a bunch of new Ford vehicles lined up together at the dealership, the Explorer does fit the lineup. Once you get past the standard cars, you have the small, old style SUV (Escape) and the Sport-Trac, the newer small SUV (Edge, think replacement for the Explorer Sport), the new larger SUV (Explorer) the BIG SUV (Expedition), the station wagon (Flex), and then the full size F-line. I would think that the Sport-Trac or Escape might be on the way out due to the design, technology and styling of the newer vehicles.
The Escape is being replaced by something similar to the Ford Kuga (European Escape basically). Isn't the Sport-Trac already discontinued?

Nah why would they discontinue a 4 door pickup with a tiny bed?

Crown Ford in Fayettville says they HAVE 4- a White Platinum, a Tuxedo Black, a Ingot Silver Mat, and a Bordeaux!!

Hmmmm. We're going to Sam's Friday for our monthly grocery run (another reason I love my '94 Exploder...fold the back seats down and load a month's worth of groceries in there, no problem!). I may have to check one out.

Welp after test driving one just a bit ago.. I gotta give my thumbs up to Ford.. Though it does not ride on a true truck frame, the 2011 does maximize all the benefits of ride comfort in the unibody construction. We ran various terrain from smooth highways to heavily steel plated construction areas and it does handle quickly enough for me without too much under or oversteer. Tried to convince them to let me borrow their '11 for the weekend but nope.. Maybe someone at Ford can let me borrow one in MD? :D

Oh yeah when the dealer tells you to floor it.. Best to do it and find out how it does :D

I would like to say that I went to the dealer this morning and they had a Kona Blue Ford Explorer Limited. I sat in it for about 5 min and was VERY impressed. Seats were very comfortable, touch screen was sweet, the LCD in the gauge cluster was AWESOME and very detailed. The overall layout was very nice and the quality was unreal, it really made my '02 Limited feel cheap and outdated.

The one thing I didn't know Ford did was when you turned off the car, the seat would go back a few inches to make it easier to get in/out! I will say that as soon as my 3rd gen bites the dust and it's not worth fixing, a 5th gen Limited 4x4 is without question my next SUV. Black on black with the brown inserts....SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to say that I went to the dealer this morning and they had a Kona Blue Ford Explorer Limited. I sat in it for about 5 min and was VERY impressed. Seats were very comfortable, touch screen was sweet, the LCD in the gauge cluster was AWESOME and very detailed. The overall layout was very nice and the quality was unreal, it really made my '02 Limited feel cheap and outdated.

The one thing I didn't know Ford did was when you turned off the car, the seat would go back a few inches to make it easier to get in/out! I will say that as soon as my 3rd gen bites the dust and it's not worth fixing, a 5th gen Limited 4x4 is without question my next SUV. Black on black with the brown inserts....SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Did it feel claustrophobic at all to you?

No, guess I was in awe of everything to really look out the windows? The room in front seems larger than mine, but peeking into the back, it seems about the same. I didn't really notice the lower window line being too high up because I seem to sit higher than most my height(I'm 5'10). In my Ex, with the seat all the way down and slightly reclined, my head barely touches the moon roof.

It also doesn't help that tight spaces don't scare me. Last job I had was Industrial Radiography and I crawled 25ft into a 20" S-bend pipe pushing a 50lb camera:D

Whenever I head up to my cousins, I'll stop by his dealership because they leave all the cars unlocked 24/7 and I'll be able to get a better feel without having a salesmen standing next to me. They seem to be VERY well built and Ford will sell a lot of them!

I am 6' and it did not seem at all claustrophobic on my test drive, then again my daily driver currently is a Lotus Elise.... but I have owned several trucks and the Explorer interior was amazing, very spacious and I did not feel like the windows were too high

Forget about just sitting in the 2011, the clincher is driving it !

Before I buy, I want to see the model with the My Touch, and back up camera, the one I drove was the bare bones basic model.

The one thing I didn't know Ford did was when you turned off the car, the seat would go back a few inches to make it easier to get in/out!

That's interesting. My wife's 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC does that.

It is any vehicle that has memory seats that well do this. I am 6 ft as well and I did not have time for a test drive but I did finally sit in one this weekend, and granted I used to own a 2 door 2003 Accord, it seemed huge inside. I had a good 3 inches of head room with the seats down all the way. I could see some of the people who are 6'3" or taller having an issue but if you do not get the sunroof it would add a few inches.

TkrF_0HV3xTMb2EonPwSM94RzndUcFr01gn7HzrZhnIXC3K_Zm.jpg

It is any vehicle that has memory seats that well do this.

Actually, no. I have a '96 Mark VIII as well and it has memory seats, but it doesn't have the "Auto Glide" feature, as Lincoln calls it, like the '97 LSC does.

Not that it matters, but the point I was attempting to make was that the "Auto Glide" seat feature isn't some new-fangled wonder of technology. It's been around for years and years.

Woohoo!!! I love chocolate chip!!!:D

No, guess I was in awe of everything to really look out the windows? The room in front seems larger than mine, but peeking into the back, it seems about the same. I didn't really notice the lower window line being too high up because I seem to sit higher than most my height(I'm 5'10). In my Ex, with the seat all the way down and slightly reclined, my head barely touches the moon roof.

It also doesn't help that tight spaces don't scare me. Last job I had was Industrial Radiography and I crawled 25ft into a 20" S-bend pipe pushing a 50lb camera:D

Whenever I head up to my cousins, I'll stop by his dealership because they leave all the cars unlocked 24/7 and I'll be able to get a better feel without having a salesmen standing next to me. They seem to be VERY well built and Ford will sell a lot of them!

I test drove it as well, but I'm trying to see if others feel the same way I do about the high door sills, high beltline, tiny windows in the back. I guess claustrophobic isn't the right way to describe it, because it has loads of headroom and plenty of room everywhere else. The car is excellent, the only thing holding my mom back from getting one is the constrained view out of the car and how it feels like you're so low in it. I think it could be gotten used to, but going from an Expedition to the 2011 Explorer is a big jump in the way you view out of the car. The Highlander seems to have a much less intrusive interior, which I hate to admit, being a Ford guy.

The only vehicle that made me feel like I was sitting down very low and having to look up was the Ford Flex. Didn't play with the seat or anything so that could have made a difference.

I should have payed better attention because comparing what you are saying to what I drive(3rd gen Ex) I really like how easy it is for me to see all around. I will compare next time when I get into a 5th gen to see if I feel the same as you do. I'll even try to take a picture from certain angles to compare. Not sure how long it'll be though;)

Ergonomics......I looked at another one today and I tried to adjust the steering and seat for comfort as well as visability over the high hood and when I tried to exit the truck, my knee hit the steering wheel adjustment knob. The knob only parks in it's correct place only when the steering wheel was lowest and closest to the dash. I am 6'1'' and I need it up and half way extended. I also hit hit my left shoulder on the pillar as I twisted left to exit. I did this a few times to see if I was exaggerating my exit, but the everyday normal exit I found was not as smooth and easy as it should be on such a large vehicle. Anybody else have this issue? The process somehow just didn't flow smoothly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ergonomics......I looked at another one today and I tried to adjust the steering and seat for comfort as well as visability over the high hood and when I tried to exit the truck, my knee hit the steering wheel adjustment knob. The knob only parks in it's correct place only when the steering wheel was lowest and closest to the dash. I am 6'1'' and I need it up and half way extended. I also hit hit my left shoulder on the pillar as I twisted left to exit. I did this a few times to see if I was exaggerating my exit, but the everyday normal exit I found was not as smooth and easy as it should be on such a large vehicle. Anybody else have this issue? The process somehow just didn't flow smoothly.

I'm only 5'10" and I didn't find this to be an issue that I can recall. My dad is about the same height but larger around :)D) and he did comment about how when he stepped into the Highlander that we tested he hit his head, but on the Explorer he didn't. So yeah...:D We might test it for a third time, maybe then I'll notice it.

Back