2011 Ford Explorer! | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer!

When it's a dealer installed accessory, they are charging $185 for spalsh guards, for example:

Interesting price differences. In checking Ford Accessories for some items I'll want to get when I buy my 2011 Explorer, I found it interesting that the all-weather floor mats are $91.43 there, but $75 retail ($64 dealer cost) when priced with the vehicle, making it cheaper to order them with the vehicle.

The cargo security shade is $125.00 there and $135 ($115 dealer cost) when priced with the vehicle. One could certainly haggle the price down when ordering with the vehicle.

Guess I'll have to do a lot of comparing prices when I get around to buying a 2011 Explorer and buy some items as accessories through the Parts Dept. With my Preferred Customer card, I get 10% off of items bought through the Parts Dept.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When it's a dealer installed accessory, they are charging $185 for spalsh guards, for example:

Interesting price differences. In checking Ford Accessories for some items I'll want to get when I buy my 2011 Explorer, I found it interesting that the all-weather floor mats are $91.43 there, but $75 retail ($64 dealer cost) when priced with the vehicle, making it cheaper to order them with the vehicle.

The cargo security shade is $125.00 there and $135 ($115 dealer cost) when priced with the vehicle. One could certainly haggle the price down when ordering with the vehicle.

Guess I'll have to do a lot of comparing prices when I get around to buying a 2011 Explorer and buy some items as accessories through the Parts Dept. With my Preferred Customer card, I get 10% off of items bought through the Parts Dept.
:wavey: Welcome aboard. I didn't order the all weather mats mainly because I want a one piece mat for the second row and Ford doesn't have one. I also want to get the cargo liner for the back, which Ford also doesn't have. Wouldn't be without one. I'm hoping WeatherTech will have them available before too long. Getting the splash guards provided and installed as part of my deal at no cost to me.

In Canada thy are charging ove 200 for that flimsy piece of material they call a cargo shade!

Surprised the wife today with a Valentines day Black on Black Limited. The dealer actually brought it in the dealership and put the big helium heart on it so when we picked it up, it was front and center. The dealer in Green Cove Springs Florida really made it easy to purchase. Spent the day just driving around in it. What a nice truck. It replaced a 13 year old XLT Expedition. Sticker on the door actually stated built on 12/10. That seems like long time to get to the dealer.
T

My dealer has one that was built 7th December and it has not arrived yet.... Some of the earlier builds were held back for some quality control issuses it seems.

Just Great! I wonder why this was held up so long and I wonder how I can find out why? This was a dealer order not my order, so maybe they wanted to ship sold units first to get some in the market?
T

There are four selectable modes:
- Normal Driving mode
- Grass/Gravel/Snow mode (applicable to any slippery condition)
- Mud & Ruts mode
- Sand mode

Terrain Management controls, adjusts and fine tunes the engine, transmission, infinity variable electronic locking center coupling, throttle response, traction control system (both engine management and 4-wheel electronic traction control), antilock braking system (ABS) and electronic stability control (ESC) to ensure the Explorer is set-up for optimal performance on the corresponding terrain type.

For example: Sand mode increases torque sent to the rear differential, allows the engine to be pushed to it’s performance envelop, delays automatic transmission shifts - holding gears for as long as possible, remaps the throttle control for better torque response, desensitizes the 4-wheel electronic traction control to prevent the vehicle from losing momentum and turns off the electronic stability control (ESC) to allow for more yaw movement and to prevent it from hindering the SUV while off road.

c6335c110075667.jpg

65a8d2110075710.jpg

During off road and hot weather testing in the sands of the Dubai desert, engineers tinkered with the idea of offering underbody skid plating for additional protection. Skid plates may still be offered on future models.

8c74b4110075715.jpg

So can I run the new Explorer in Sand mode, or any of the other modes on dry pavement? Or is that a big no-no?

That an awesome photo of the new Explorer in the Dubai desert btw! I guess it would be in Sand mode at that point.

WeatherTech should have the molded 2011 mats out in a few weeks. .
T

Premium Sound versus Sony Sound package

I just ordered a 2011 Explorer XLT, 20" polished wheels, roof rails, mud flaps, power gate, my touch premium sound. I'd like to find more information on the specs of the 8 speaker sound system as well as comparison info against the Sony sound system. Does the stereo in the dash look different than the Sony pics I've seen? How many watts is the premium sound system?

Also, I'd like to know more about the resolution of the 8" screen and what I can connect to the auxilary composite red/white/yellow rca jacks. Xbox? :)

As far as can interpret from the vehicle site, you get a mini spare unless you get the trailer tow package. With trailer tow, you get a "Tire Mobility Kit" which is usually a bottle of Slime and an inflation can. I assume they were unable to package the mini along with the hitch hardware.

Imagine trying to fix a serious puncture in the boonies! The more I learn, I am glad I got a 2010.

With that being said, I also believe that for the vast majority of the market, the 2011 is probably a better vehicle and likely to sell far better than the outgoing 2010. At the end of the day, Ford makes decisions to serve the largest market and be PROFITABLE.

I have the tow package and I can tell you that there is indeed a spare tire included. There is supposed to be a "tire mobility kit" also but I don't know where it is, and I think I may not have gotten it. I'm going to follow up with the dealer.

There is supposed to be a "tire mobility kit" also but I don't know where it is, and I think I may not have gotten it. I'm going to follow up with the dealer.

Owner's Manual states to move driver's seat forward. The kit is under the seat.:)

Well what do you know there it is! I didn't take it out but there is certainly something there. Thanks for telling me that as two dealers and Ford customer service could not answer that question.

Well what do you know there it is! I didn't take it out but there is certainly something there. Thanks for telling me that as two dealers and Ford customer service could not answer that question.

Well, ever since I was a little boy (47 now!) my Dad always told me to read the manual, before I break something!!:) Unfortunately, the new Explorer Owner's Manual is HUGE!:D

I just ordered a 2011 Explorer XLT, 20" polished wheels, roof rails, mud flaps, power gate, my touch premium sound. I'd like to find more information on the specs of the 8 speaker sound system as well as comparison info against the Sony sound system. Does the stereo in the dash look different than the Sony pics I've seen? How many watts is the premium sound system?

Also, I'd like to know more about the resolution of the 8" screen and what I can connect to the auxilary composite red/white/yellow rca jacks. Xbox? :)

The stereo that comes with the 201A and 202A XLT looks like this (from Ford's website). Ford doesn't say how many watts it is, I'll look in my owner's manual tonight. I played with it a little last night and was impressed by the sheer level of volume it can hit and the bass/treble/mid adjustment done from MyFord Touch.

The screens resolution has to be around 800x500 since the MFT manual says wallpaper should be 800x378 but this doesn't take into account the static top/bottom bars which always show

As for the RCA jacks, they really just act as a relay from a video source, just like a TV does, so yes you can connect an Xbox or any device that outputs using RCA jacks. The audio should play over the speakers but I haven't tried this just yet.

Owner's manual unfortunately doesn't say squat about the performance characteristics of the sound system. However, whatever the spec's are, it sounds pretty dang good for a factory system...

Well, ever since I was a little boy (47 now!) my Dad always told me to read the fcuking manual, before I break something!!:) Unfortunately, the new Explorer Owner's Manual is HUGE!:D

My manual (and all the associated sub-manuals) is sitting in the bathroom...good long term reading materials...:p::p:

Will a full size spare tire fit into the spare tire wheel well?

spare tire

Will a full size spare into a 2011 explorer tire compartment

Will a full size spare tire fit into the spare tire wheel well?

Don't we have a full size spare, now?

As a side note, I'm glad Ford changed the spare on the new Explorer. Now, it can't be easily stolen. On every Explorer I've owned (2003, 2005, 2007) my spare has been taken. Granted, I never did the chain & lock thing. Oh well, the trials and tribulations for traveling and staying in hotel parking lots.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't we have a full size spare, now?

As a side note, I'm glad Ford changed the spare on the new Explorer. Now, it can't be easily stolen. On every Explorer I've owned (2003, 2005, 2007) my spare has been taken. Granted, I never did the chain & lock thing. Oh well, the trials and tribulations for traveling and staying in hotel parking lots.:(

How the heck did they take it if you have to loosen it from the inside?

Back