2011 Limited weird transmission sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Limited weird transmission sound

MattHoss

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hey all,

I hope someone can point me in the right direction on this one. About a month ago my water pump failed and I took it in to the shop. I now have a new water pump and timing chain kit installed. Right after the new water pump was installed we took a trip and drove about 200 miles with no issues. About a week ago, around 45 to 50 mph I felt like what I would describe as a "flutter". It wasn't like a loud clunk or anything and it only did it once. Fast forward a week and it seems to be doing it a bit more, but its random. I can't make it do it and if it does not seem to happen when excelerating, but more when the truck is just cruising. I don't have any transmission codes like explained here:

It does not feel like the transmission is slipping. I saw another post where it was said the same thing happened and appeared to be a misfire. Changing the plugs fixed the issue. I changed my plugs about 6 months ago. One thing to note is I do get the 0430 code from time to time so maybe a misfire?

I guess one other question is would replacing the timing chains cause any of this? Trying to get as much information before calling shop back.

I'll also add, I have 188,000 miles on it.

Thanks,

-Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I have an unknown gremlin. I drove the truck yesterday and no issues. I checked the transmission fluid level and all seems fine. I just wish I knew the cause of it. With the water pump replacement $1,700. I really don't feel like putting more money into this truck on any major repairs. I like it too much to get rid of it.....

I guess I have an unknown gremlin. I drove the truck yesterday and no issues. I checked the transmission fluid level and all seems fine. I just wish I knew the cause of it. With the water pump replacement $1,700. I really don't feel like putting more money into this truck on any major repairs. I like it too much to get rid of it.....
Do you have a transfer case did you check fuild on that

The 5th gen has a PTU (Power Transfer Unit).

Peter

There are some existing threads on the P0430 code that you can find with the 'Search feature. Here are two of them.

Peter

Back