• Register Today It's free!

2011 rack and pinion replacement

Dhaglage03

Reaction score
City, State
Van wert ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer xlt
wondering if anybody has had to do a rack and pinion 2011 xlt. I am assuming that this is the problem because I have rebuilt everything but this in the front. The sound is a creaking noise when turning at lower speeds. I have done control arms tie rods inner and outer bearings swaybar links struts not sure what else is left. Also a thud over bumps at low speed

Are you the original owner? I ask because there is/was this TSB;
11-9-12 CREAK NOISE FROM FRONT BUMPER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/6/2011
Publication Date: September 21, 2011
ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 9/6/2011 may exhibit a creak noise from the front bumper area while turning and/or negotiating grade changes.
It is one of many such TSBs in this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/2011-explorer-tsbs.343204/

If that is not the issue, then I have not found and DIY posts on rack and pinion replacements. There are several thread on issues with it but none involve DIY.

Peter

Are you the original owner? I ask because there is/was this TSB;
11-9-12 CREAK NOISE FROM FRONT BUMPER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/6/2011
Publication Date: September 21, 2011
ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 9/6/2011 may exhibit a creak noise from the front bumper area while turning and/or negotiating grade changes.
It is one of many such TSBs in this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/2011-explorer-tsbs.343204/

If that is not the issue, then I have not found and DIY posts on rack and pinion replacements. There are several thread on issues with it but none involve DIY.

Peter
I am not the original owner I bought the car a little over 2 years ago. However the problem does seem similar

Back