2011 Rearview camera and blind spot sensor (BLIS) issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Rearview camera and blind spot sensor (BLIS) issue

Kmantlo94

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
bought a 2011 explorer limited, salesman told me the back up camera didn't work. The camera will randomly ly show me a blurred view, but everytime i drove the vehicle for about 30 to 45 min, i get a message saying that my blind spot sensors are blocked, and then right after that it says my cross traffic sensors are blocked, i am a mechankc but I must say I'm not finding any answers at all, I havent exactly dove into it and started trading wires ect, does anyone know anything about this being a common issue and does anyone have a fix? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is very likely that the rearview camera needs to be replaced. When you do that, it also has to be programmed to your Explorer.
As for the BLIS radar units, this is what your Manual says;
The BLIS consists of two radar
sensors each located rearward of
the rear wheels hidden behind the
bumper fascia. Do not place any
type of bumper sticker in this area.

There is a picture of it on page 306 of the Manual's 4th printing. Being where the sensors are, it is highly unlikely that they are 'blocked'. Are the BLIS indicators on the outside mirrors working? They should both light up momentarily when the vehicle is started. Although there have been some issues with BLIS and CTA, I would not call it a common problem.
You should also check the spare tire well for possible signs of moisture. Several of the earlier models had water leaks from the roof rails.

Peter

Peter is correct about the camera. My 2012 Focus needs a new camera. It is exhibiting the same symptoms you're describing. I'm not sure about the Exporer, but on my Focus the BCM will program a new camera once it is connected and the car is running. It takes just a few minutes and then you're off to the races.

Back