• Register Today It's free!

Explorer propane smell

bell76

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 ford explorer
I got a unknown smell(propane) (i know there is no propane in the vehicle)when i drive the vehicle and park in my garage. it is not oil burning smell but it is strong inside the vehicle and outside.my dealer said there is no problen and if ther was it would throw a code. not happy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is now a TSB on this, its an issue with the coolant and the rubber hoses causing a smell. I'll find out full details at work tomorrow.

Edit: Just remembered this might be a 2013 issue only, I'll double check

There is now a TSB on this, its an issue with the coolant and the rubber hoses causing a smell. I'll find out full details at work tomorrow.

Edit: Just remembered this might be a 2013 issue only, I'll double check

The TSB is for the 13's not the 11's and is a different problem. The 11's have an issue with a nasty odor after hard acceleration that is not the coolant issue.

I got a unknown smell(propane) (i know there is no propane in the vehicle)when i drive the vehicle and park in my garage. it is not oil burning smell but it is strong inside the vehicle and outside.my dealer said there is no problen and if ther was it would throw a code. not happy!
Welcome to the Forum bell76.:wavey:
A few members have described an odour like a rotten egg/sulphur smell rather than a burning oil smell. Is that what you are getting?
I think I would tend to disagree with your dealer in that not every problem produces a code. While most of these 'odour' problems remain unresolved, I believe there was a member whose dealer in conjunction with a Ford tech found that exhuast gases were being pulled in though 2 rear vents that are part of the ventilation system. Apparently each muffler has 2 small holes in them and that is where the gases were being pulled from. That doesn't sound like your problem though. Good luck.

Peter

Back