2011 Starting Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

petersb19

Reaction score
City, State
Prattville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 Explorer Limited 4X4
So recently I have been having issues with my Limited starting. While starting, it sounds as if the starter is staying engaged way longer than it needs to. (3-5 seconds after the car is running). I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as the fuel pump being the culprit. After changing out the fuel pump, I am still having the same issue. It does not happen on every starting cycle, just randomly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2011 Ford Explorer Limited
124,500 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I'm no mechanic, I don't understand the connection between the starter staying engaged longer than it should and the fuel pump. Maybe someone can explain.:dunno: I'd be more inclined to check the starter itself.

Peter

Although I'm no mechanic, I don't understand the connection between the starter staying engaged longer than it should and the fuel pump. Maybe someone can explain.:dunno: I'd be more inclined to check the starter itself.

Peter

In my non expert opinion, there is no connection.

A couple of issues can occur with the fuel pump that can cause extended crank times. There is a check valve internal to the pump that is supposed to keep the line pressurized after the engine is shut off; if it fails, the pump then has to re-prime the line starting from zero pressure and this can take a few extra seconds which can cause the engine to take longer to start.

The pump may also be faulty and may not be generating enough pressure which can also cause the same symptoms.

For those reasons the dealers generally replace the fuel pump when a customer complains of extended start times.

Re-reading your post, it sounds like maybe the dealer and I may have both mis-understood you.

Are you saying the starter is staying engaged to the flywheel after the engine has already started? If so then the bendix on the starter is probably hanging up. A new starter will resolve that issue.

Re-reading your post, it sounds like maybe the dealer and I may have both mis-understood you.

Are you saying the starter is staying engaged to the flywheel after the engine has already started? If so then the bendix on the starter is probably hanging up. A new starter will resolve that issue.

Link to starting video

I have recently been having a similar issue with my 2014 explorer xlt. The first start of the day would be good and anything after about four hours later would be ok. Any short trips to stores or places would result in the car starting but the starter staying engaged for anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds after start. It sounded very similar to your video. It sounded just like it was still trying to start. I just replaced the starter this morning and have started it a dozen times with out any issues.

Welcome to the Forum Ctmac9000.:wave:

Peter

Watched your video, sounds like the bendix is hanging up on the starter which will cause it to stay engaged after the starter shuts off. If it was mine I would get a new starter put in it.

2011 Explorer XLT - about 150k miles. In the last few weeks, I've noticed that the starter remain engaged for about 1.5-2 seconds after the vehicle starts. The vehicle starts like it always has, but one can hear the starter for longer now. Anyone else experienced this? Safe to assume that the starter is beginning to fail?

petersb19, any update on your issue??

Peter

2011 Explorer XLT - about 150k miles. In the last few weeks, I've noticed that the starter remain engaged for about 1.5-2 seconds after the vehicle starts. The vehicle starts like it always has, but one can hear the starter for longer now. Anyone else experienced this? Safe to assume that the starter is beginning to fail?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature. It is thought that this is a starter issue. Hopefully the other member will report back with an update on his issue.

Peter

Thanks - my symptoms are identical to the video posted above by petersb19

I replaced my starter last night and the problem is gone. Took about 1 hour - pretty easy job.

I have recently been having a similar issue with my 2014 explorer xlt. The first start of the day would be good and anything after about four hours later would be ok. Any short trips to stores or places would result in the car starting but the starter staying engaged for anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds after start. It sounded very similar to your video. It sounded just like it was still trying to start. I just replaced the starter this morning and have started it a dozen times with out any issues.
Do you have instructions or a video for how you replaced the starter motor? If it is something I could do myself, ill save the $ and just buy the parts.

I replaced my starter last night and the problem is gone. Took about 1 hour - pretty easy job.
Do you have any instructions that you could provide me so I can do it myself. thanks.

Try youtube. Anything I've never done before, I've been able to find it there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the starter located below the airbox on the right side of the motor?

Back