2011 Struts. Quick-Strut Available? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Struts. Quick-Strut Available?

lancer1227

Reaction score
City, State
Midland, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
Needing to replace the struts on my 2011 X-limited and I'm wanting to use the quick-strut by Monroe but I'm not having any luck finding these available for the 2011 model. Can anyone provide some direction? What are some of the good quality brands others are using? Any advice on doing this project?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Needing to replace the struts on my 2011 X-limited and I'm wanting to use the quick-strut by Monroe but I'm not having any luck finding these available for the 2011 model. Can anyone provide some direction? What are some of the good quality brands others are using? Any advice on doing this project?

I had used the quick struts as replacements for my 03 Honda Odyssey a few years back. They were "ok", but if I had to do over again, I would have spent the extra money and went OEM. The quick struts I felt were not tuned correctly to give the car an OEM ride.
I would look into OEM for your truck. Might be more expensive in the beginning, but long term it will be better.

On the 5th generation explorer (2011-2019), has anyone used Monroe Quick Struts? My 2013 is over the 100K mark and these Mass. roads don't help.

I've seen a few other posts mentioning other Make vehicles. I've also seen one post here about a clicking noise.

I'm looking for feedback of people who have used Monroe Quick Struts on their 5th generation explorers. I'm less interested in how they worked on other vehicles.

And, before you tell me to buy Motorcraft, they don't sell fully assembled struts. That means spring compression, additional parts, and a lot more work than I'm willing to put in.

On the 5th generation explorer (2011-2019), has anyone used Monroe Quick Struts? My 2013 is over the 100K mark and these Mass. roads don't help.

I've seen a few other posts mentioning other Make vehicles. I've also seen one post here about a clicking noise.

I'm looking for feedback of people who have used Monroe Quick Struts on their 5th generation explorers. I'm less interested in how they worked on other vehicles.

And, before you tell me to buy Motorcraft, they don't sell fully assembled struts. That means spring compression, additional parts, and a lot more work than I'm willing to put in.
So are you open to non cartridge or not? If not buy the Monroe but know they are not as good as Motorcraft. They are softer rise wise and the quality of the product is second to Motorcraft. Leaks, strut mounts clunk. They won't likely last 100k. I asked my mechanic about Monroe and he said only if you plan on trading in soon.

Another option would be to buy MC and have a mechanic mount the springs safely onto the struts. I don't blame you for wanting the cartridge but the compromise you take isnt worth it. I had MC put on mine at 130k. Don't regret it.

Jordan, your thread was merged with this one.

Peter

Motorcraft will have loaded struts available for the 5th gen Explorers hopefully by spring...not sure how long you are willing to wait but they are coming.

So are you open to non cartridge or not? If not buy the Monroe but know they are not as good as Motorcraft. They are softer rise wise and the quality of the product is second to Motorcraft. Leaks, strut mounts clunk. They won't likely last 100k. I asked my mechanic about Monroe and he said only if you plan on trading in soon.

Another option would be to buy MC and have a mechanic mount the springs safely onto the struts. I don't blame you for wanting the cartridge but the compromise you take isnt worth it. I had MC put on mine at 130k. Don't regret it.
This is helpful. I already have a soft ride with the original suspension. I don’t see a point in swapping for another soft/noisy ride unless something breaks / completely fails.

If I go the motorcraft route, how much of the hardware needs to be replaced? I’m guessing the springs and bearings don’t last forever.

This is helpful. I already have a soft ride with the original suspension. I don’t see a point in swapping for another soft/noisy ride unless something breaks / completely fails.

If I go the motorcraft route, how much of the hardware needs to be replaced? I’m guessing the springs and bearings don’t last forever.
Bilstein makes firmer struts, but new struts will likely firm up thingsa bit. I replaced struts and strut mounts. Left the springs as is.

Motorcraft will have loaded struts available for the 5th gen Explorers hopefully by spring...not sure how long you are willing to wait but they are coming.
That’s good news. I’d definitely opt for that method.

Back