• Register Today It's free!

2011 Windshield Buzzing Noise

Cashcrazy

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Explorer
My 2011 has had a buzzing noise at highway speeds for some time. I finally used tape and located the noise coming from the rubber seals on the both sides of the front windshield. I have done a bit of googling and found threads on the A pillar replacement, but nothing on this specific problem. Does anyone know if just the rubber seal can be replaced or will I have to replace the inner A pillar? I am trying to get part numbers together for an order and don't want to miss a part. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem on our 2013 Edge, but it was at the top instead of the sides. My neighbor who is a Nissan mechanic just recommend I get a plastic glue, and glue it back in place. Has been like that for probably six months, and no issues thus far. Worst part the noise occurred right after we got new tires so I was certain I had bought bad tires!

Picked up a 2019 Explorer about a month ago. Was getting a wind noise above 40 mph from the rear passenger door - sounded like the door wasn’t shut tight or the window was cracked open (they weren’t). Finally figured out the molding l around the immovable portion of the window wasn’t sealed tight (compared to the opposite door)

Put a bead of clear kitchen/bath caulk in it and taped it tight overnight to dry. Been nice and quiet since then.

Has anyone had TSB 15-0143 (Whistle or Buzz-Type noise from front cowl panel) done and if so, is it covered under a warranty / ESP? I've got a 2015 Limited and had to run tape along bottom of windshield to stop the noise. Was on a 3000 mile trip and at one point I had blue painters tape all the way around the windshield until I narrowed it down to the bottom where cowl panel meets the windshield! The noise is pretty bad at 70 mph. Always at a little noise at times, but the older it gets the more it happens.

Check the section related to Warranty Status in the link in post #3.

Peter

Check the section related to Warranty Status in the link in post #3.

Peter
I have, that's just the TSB for the problem and it talks a little bit about warranty, but nothing specific to the extended warranty. Just was wondering if anyone had it done.
Thx.

I have, that's just the TSB for the problem and it talks a little bit about warranty, but nothing specific to the extended warranty. Just was wondering if anyone had it done.
Thx.
It mentions coverage under Warranty / ESP

Ford will only fix TSB 15-0143 under new car warranty. The lower cowl panel is not a covered part under the extended/ESP warranty and they want $636 to replace and fix problem. You can buy a lot of black painters tape for $600.

Has anyone had TSB 15-0143 (Whistle or Buzz-Type noise from front cowl panel) done and if so, is it covered under a warranty / ESP? I've got a 2015 Limited and had to run tape along bottom of windshield to stop the noise. Was on a 3000 mile trip and at one point I had blue painters tape all the way around the windshield until I narrowed it down to the bottom where cowl panel meets the windshield! The noise is pretty bad at 70 mph. Always at a little noise at times, but the older it gets the more it happens.

I had this exact problem and the cowl was replaced under warranty. This happened right after I purchased my 2016 Explorer, and it was covered under the new car warranty.

I was not aware of any service bulletin at the time, however the dealership knew exactly what the problem was, told me they had seen it a number of times before, and fixed it without a hassle.

Quite an annoying problem, especially when (at least in my case) the noise varied with the speed I was driving, making me think there was either a problem with my tires, or perhaps an electrical problem somehow related to the engine. My vibration noise was so loud, I thought it was coming though the stereo speakers.... at highway speeds, it initially sounded like loud static, but the noise would disappear at lower speeds.

We had the problem on our 2015 Limited and the dealership performed the TSB - replaced the windshield wiper cowl. Problem solved. We bought it with about 5000 miles left in the warranty but were over the warranty when they did the TSB but no cost to us. Our dealership is great to work with.

I found that I could just fold the rubber at the windshield up under itself and the extra tension from pinching the rubber between the windshield and the cowling is enough to keep it firmly seated against the windshield and no longer buzzing.

I found that I could just fold the rubber at the windshield up under itself and the extra tension from pinching the rubber between the windshield and the cowling is enough to keep it firmly seated against the windshield and no longer buzzing.

I did that with the original one but with the new one I haven't had to do that.........yet.........lol

Back