• Register Today It's free!

2011 XLT Ride Noise

6506gary

Reaction score
City, State
Temecula, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
I went on vacation and rented a 2014 Flex and what a pleasure, great ride, very little road noise, and much more confortable than my Explorer. I have 80K miles on the Explorer and from day one, the ride was bumpy and road noise terrible. Every time I go over a small bump or large bump it will let you know about it and don't even think of going over a speed bump over 2 mph. The vehicle handles the bumps OK but it sounds like you just had an accident on the larger bumps. I am on my second set of Hankook Optimo tires and wonder if that is the problem or maybe the original shocks are gone, but like I said it has been that way since mile 1. Other than that I haven't had one problem with the vehicle and would buy another one if I hadn't rented a Flex. Any ideas? Gary

2011 XLT here, 41k miles and counting, still on stock tires. Our XLT is the quietest vehicle we've ever had. Then again, anything is quieter than having our screaming kids in the car. Could road surfaces be causing the issue?

I must agree about the comfort. Something about the driver's seat just doesn't conform to my picky ergonomic needs. Both our minivan and suburban are much more comfortable.

...The vehicle handles the bumps OK but it sounds like you just had an accident on the larger bumps. I am on my second set of Hankook Optimo tires and wonder if that is the problem or maybe the original shocks are gone...

Hi Gary,

I'd bring this up to your dealership so they can check. You may also want to take your tech on a test drive so you can demonstrate what you're experiencing. If you decide to go that route, be sure to let us know. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Sounds like it could be strut bearings.

Back