2012 Ecoboost owners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ecoboost owners

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I intend to lease one this week. I'll come back and let you know what I think when I do. I've been trying to find some actual real world thoughts and haven't had any luck.

The wife wanted the Totyota Highlander, but I just like the explorer a lot more (looks, tech, features, etc.).

As long as our MFT doesn't reset every five minutes I think she'll like it too. She agrees it looks ten times better than the Highlander, but she likes the Highlander's smaller "feel."

I have had one for almost 2 weeks and love it! I am averaging 22 mpg with 90% city driving. No problems with MFT at all.

sdmcwilliams said:
I have had one for almost 2 weeks and love it! I am averaging 22 mpg with 90% city driving. No problems with MFT at all.

Any power issues as far as acceleration? What kind of payload have you had in it?

I just leased a blue limited ecoboost with the 303A package.

My wife and I love it. We drove 45 miles home (closest dealer with the blue ecoboost and the 303 package) and averaged 29 MPG in some very ideal conditions (little to no traffic going about 65MPH).

All in all this is a serious upgrade form the 2007 Camry Hybrid we were driving.

Played around with the MFT and had absolutely no problems, although it feels like it could use a bit more processing power. Navigation worked perfectly.

All in all, very happy with the lease.

Any power issues as far as acceleration? What kind of payload have you had in it?

None at all. It is no speed demon but it gets the job done. I have driven the whole family (me, my wife and 3 kids plus tailgating supplies) to two UCF football games and I had no problems passing vehicles on the interstate.

Did your rides come with the pirellis like it states on the pricing sheets?

Those tires only come with the 303A package (which is basically the 302 with the tires and a different axel ratio of 3.51).

If you get the XLT or Limited with 300 or 301 package you get whatever tires normally come with those packages.

However, if you get the 303A but the dealer (or you) adds the polished aluminum 20s that obviously overrides the pirellis and you keep the standard axel ratio.

I have a 303A and did not order the polished 20s so mine did come with the Pirellis.

Thanks for the input. I've seen reviews on the pirellis on the Discount Tire website that they aren't that great. Do you like the ride in the tires? Do you know if we can buy special tires because of the different axle ratio? Sorry, not a mechanic.

Old thread, I know. I have had my XLT EB for 11 days. Just hit 1k miles so still breaking in. I am at 20.2MPG in the city. Second time I filled up, I used premium just to see what it did. My MPG dropped signifficantly. I think I was around 18-19 on the highway. I am back up to 20+ now but there is still some Premium in the tank because it is still not getting as good MPG from when I took a 500 mile road trip the day after I got it (24+ MPG).

I have had MFT reset twice; once the night I got it when I started it and second was mid song on the road the day after I got it. Otherwise no issues. The EB is pretty quick. Nothing to street race in but I think it is a better engine than the 4.0 I had in my 07 XLT.

Actually, thanks for reviving the thread. I've been looking for opinions of the EB and real-world mileage reports.

Old thread, I know. I have had my XLT EB for 11 days. Just hit 1k miles so still breaking in. I am at 20.2MPG in the city. Second time I filled up, I used premium just to see what it did. My MPG dropped signifficantly. I think I was around 18-19 on the highway. I am back up to 20+ now but there is still some Premium in the tank because it is still not getting as good MPG from when I took a 500 mile road trip the day after I got it (24+ MPG).

I have had MFT reset twice; once the night I got it when I started it and second was mid song on the road the day after I got it. Otherwise no issues. The EB is pretty quick. Nothing to street race in but I think it is a better engine than the 4.0 I had in my 07 XLT.

You'd think the ecu would adapt sooner to the increased octane....then again, there may be no map to go to.

I wish they didn't call 91+ octane "premium" just because it costs more. IT's just different. It's all about what your car was designed to run on. Interchanging octanes is less than ideal in almost all occasions.

Congrats on the EB and I'm really hoping the mpg numbers climb with break-in. If not, I'm concerned they're over taxing the motor in all but the most patient and flat scenarios.

It 's been a month, any new updates?

You'd think the ecu would adapt sooner to the increased octane....then again, there may be no map to go to.

I wish they didn't call 91+ octane "premium" just because it costs more. IT's just different. It's all about what your car was designed to run on. Interchanging octanes is less than ideal in almost all occasions.

Congrats on the EB and I'm really hoping the mpg numbers climb with break-in. If not, I'm concerned they're over taxing the motor in all but the most patient and flat scenarios.

At 3800 miles. Sitting right at 20MPG city. I dont do a lot of highway. I know 20 is right on the money per the specs but I am not happy with it. I would like to be 21-23. Considering trading in a couple months for the 4WD Ex since that is what I wanted but chose EB due to MPG.

Just got mine on Wednesday. First trip i got 26.5 mostly highway. Today i got 21 in city. Been pleased with the pickup and no MFT issues so far.

Just got mine on Wednesday. First trip i got 26.5 mostly highway. Today i got 21 in city. Been pleased with the pickup and no MFT issues so far.

I'm sitting almost at 1,000 miles. Just did ~300 mile road trip avg'ing 25 mpg. Average speed was 70 mph. Overall I think my mpg is 19.5ish with city and highway driving. I'm actually pretty happy with it!

My EcoBoost has about 3,400 miles on it and I am averaging 24.4 MPG of mostly interstate driving. I went from Cleveland, OH to Middlebury, IN and averaged 23.1 MPG because I had a constat headwind for about 3 1/2 hours. On the way I home I had constant rain for 3 1/2 hours running at 70 MPH (both ways) and averaged 25.4 MPG. I don't know if my milage will increase next summer because it will be broken in and because of the heat, or less because of the heat and A/C. I would like more power, but that equates to less economy. As my wife ssaid that once I retire (2 months), I don't need to get anywhere fast anymore. :)

Back