2012 Explorer APIM Controller compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer APIM Controller compatibility

SKforddxb

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012, Explorer, XLT
Hello.
I have a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT GCC specs model. Its had intermittent display screen problem. Few days back the screen has shut down completely.
With the screen shut off, the Rear AC control , Seat Heating / Cooling control and entertainment is no longer available.

i managed to get an APIM control from a yard which worked, but showed limited functionality. The Rear AC Control and Seat Cooling are missing.

Is this a hardware issue or software issue?
Is this a hardware issue or software issue?
Any advise is welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not familiar with APIM programming but it sounds like that is what you may have to do. Did the replacement APIM come from a 2012 XLT?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not familiar with APIM programming but it sounds like that is what you may have to do. Did the replacement APIM come from a 2012 XLT?

Peter
Thanks Peter

not sure of the origin and Year. I tried 5 different controllers with same result. but definitely not later than 2013.

I asked ford service advisor and he said it could be hardware issue though I’m not convinced

Thanks Peter

not sure of the origin and Year. I tried 5 different controllers with same result. but definitely not later than 2013.

I asked ford service advisor and he said it could be hardware issue though I’m not convinced
It likely just needs to be programmed with either Ford's IDS or FORScan.

Peter

Can a ford service centre do this programming?

tx
IF that is actually all that is required to resolve the issue you are having, then yes, a Ford dealership should have that tool. IDS stands for Integrated Diagnostic System. It is the current OEM tool for all Ford/Lincoln dealers.

Peter

IF that is actually all that is required to resolve the issue you are having, then yes, a Ford dealership should have that tool. IDS stands for Integrated Diagnostic System. It is the current OEM tool for all Ford/Lincoln dealers.

Peter
Ok. Gives me some hope. Let me see what they say.
the scrap part is a fraction compared to the Ford Quoted price.

There appear to be 2 APIM units for the 2012 XLT.
Do you have a number similar to those on your replacement?

Peter
Hi Peter

So taking some courage from your post I bought the salvaged APIM Module. Cost me $200
It worked on default mode when powered on.
Took the vehicle to the Ford Service Station and they reprogrammed it for just $110.
And now its working just fine like the original.
I think I saved almost $1800.

so for future ref: Any APIM controller of the model and similar year should work with reprogramming.
PS. I used the APIM controller with screen as a replacement
Many Thanks
S

Back