2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM

Nexus

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
Hello all,
At the end of August I got a 2012 Explorer AWD XLT with 18" wheels after Ford swapped it under the Lemon Law for my 2010 Explorer that had no brakes (6 months of fighting with Ford - I am more than happy to answer any Lemon Law questions if needed). So far my MyTouch has had some issues (Ver 2.11) I have had to remove the battery cable on several occasions to fix it.
But my biggest complaint and why I would tell everyone while test driving one, check for a vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM. Going up a slight incline will make it stand out even more. Mine does it really bad and it feels like there is a electric razor vibrating under my foot. I didn't notice it at first but once I started driving it it really stood out. Now I can't drive anywhere if I have to keep the speed between 25 and 35MPH at 1200-1500RPM without getting angry. Two different dealers have driven it and said they feel it but it does not bother them and there are no other complaints from other customers according to them.

I have test driven two other 2012 Explorers (Both Limited) and they also have this buzzing/vibrating sensation between 1200-1500RPM (Not as much as mine - 20inch rims perhaps on them?). Normally these types of vibrations would not bother me but as someone who drives 2000 miles per month it's getting annoying. It also slightly vibrates up through all gears and speeds until I get to the proper speed and back off the pedal for cruising speed and then I just get a vibration from the road through the steering wheel.
Like I said I have driven two others and they act very similar. It is a transmission/engine/vibration issue with all 2012 Explorers I have driven.
The gas pedal is ABS plastic and so is the Pedal mount and the spot where it connects under the dashboard. I do not see any rubber washers around any mounting surfaces under the dashboard, only Bolts with metal washers mounting braces to the firewall and threaded studs sticking through from the engine compartment not attached to anything under the dashboard.

I have even removed the pedal and applied Dynamat (Expensive vibration dampening material) to the back and remounted it and it still does the same thing. In 2008 Tauruses had a similar issues and it turned out to be where their transmission lines mounted to the body. Ford corrected it by mounting them in a different location and the problem went away.

Please reply at this site if yours does this so that Ford might notice or If yours does not then I can complain more to Ford.

I am hoping through the power of the internet that many of you great Explorer folks will help me troubleshoot this. Who knows maybe one of you has the answer already.

Please help me troubleshoot this. I have already spent this year since January fighting with Ford over my 2010 Explorer with no brakes that they had a lead engineer drive on several occasions and said even though the pedal travels to the floor and it takes a lot to stop, that is just the way explorers are. Finally they agreed to exchange it...78 days in the shop!

If you test drive or own a 2012 (maybe a 2011) Explorer Please reply and tell me if you feel the vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM.
My steering wheel also vibrates depending on Road surface.

I do not enjoy my Explorer at all.
Very harsh ride!
This is my 9th Ford vehicle.
All I ever buy is Ford but that will change after all this.:(

2012 Explorer XLT
AWD
V6
18" rims
2300 Miles
Accelerator pedal vibration buzzing 1200-1500RPM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all,
At the end of August I got a 2012 Explorer AWD XLT with 18" wheels after Ford swapped it under the Lemon Law for my 2010 Explorer that had no brakes (6 months of fighting with Ford - I am more than happy to answer any Lemon Law questions if needed). So far my MyTouch has had some issues (Ver 2.11) I have had to remove the battery cable on several occasions to fix it.
But my biggest complaint and why I would tell everyone while test driving one, check for a vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM. Going up a slight incline will make it stand out even more. Mine does it really bad and it feels like there is a electric razor vibrating under my foot. I didn't notice it at first but once I started driving it it really stood out. Now I can't drive anywhere if I have to keep the speed between 25 and 35MPH at 1200-1500RPM without getting angry. Two different dealers have driven it and said they feel it but it does not bother them and there are no other complaints from other customers according to them.

I have test driven two other 2012 Explorers (Both Limited) and they also have this buzzing/vibrating sensation between 1200-1500RPM (Not as much as mine - 20inch rims perhaps on them?). Normally these types of vibrations would not bother me but as someone who drives 2000 miles per month it's getting annoying. It also slightly vibrates up through all gears and speeds until I get to the proper speed and back off the pedal for cruising speed and then I just get a vibration from the road through the steering wheel.
Like I said I have driven two others and they act very similar. It is a transmission/engine/vibration issue with all 2012 Explorers I have driven.
The gas pedal is ABS plastic and so is the Pedal mount and the spot where it connects under the dashboard. I do not see any rubber washers around any mounting surfaces under the dashboard, only Bolts with metal washers mounting braces to the firewall and threaded studs sticking through from the engine compartment not attached to anything under the dashboard.

I have even removed the pedal and applied Dynamat (Expensive vibration dampening material) to the back and remounted it and it still does the same thing. In 2008 Tauruses had a similar issues and it turned out to be where their transmission lines mounted to the body. Ford corrected it by mounting them in a different location and the problem went away.

Please reply at this site if yours does this so that Ford might notice or If yours does not then I can complain more to Ford.

I am hoping through the power of the internet that many of you great Explorer folks will help me troubleshoot this. Who knows maybe one of you has the answer already.

Please help me troubleshoot this. I have already spent this year since January fighting with Ford over my 2010 Explorer with no brakes that they had a lead engineer drive on several occasions and said even though the pedal travels to the floor and it takes a lot to stop, that is just the way explorers are. Finally they agreed to exchange it...78 days in the shop!

If you test drive or own a 2012 (maybe a 2011) Explorer Please reply and tell me if you feel the vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM.
My steering wheel also vibrates depending on Road surface.

I do not enjoy my Explorer at all.
Very harsh ride!
This is my 9th Ford vehicle.
All I ever buy is Ford but that will change after all this.:(

2012 Explorer XLT
AWD
V6
18" rims
2300 Miles
Accelerator pedal vibration buzzing 1200-1500RPM

I have noticed a similar vibration. However, I have enjoyed my 2012 explorer so far.

My wife's escape had similar issue.

...But my biggest complaint and why I would tell everyone while test driving one, check for a vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM...
I have noticed a similar vibration. However, I have enjoyed my 2012 explorer so far.
Welcome to the forum, Nexus & Chicago Lion. I’m here to help by sending this to the Customer Service Manager in your region. Please send a PM with your VIN, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and contact information so I can arrange for you to be called for further assistance.

Cory

For what its worth: My '11 Ex has been in the shop. It did it. The '11 Fusion & '11 F-150 XLT I had for the past 2 weeks ALL did this. I think its totally normal and everyone should take it easy.

Thank you everyone who has jumped into my thread.
I really appreciate the feedback.
Please keep posting.

After driving it for an hour my foot is tingling and hurts (I even have Dr Scholl's inserts). I use cruise control at every opportunity because it is so uncomfortable.
I grew up working on cars. I have had 5 Explorers and 4 Mustangs.
I have a 89 Mustang GT that I used to Autocross with Goodyear Autocross club.
I worked at Summit Racing for many years building engines.
I have never felt any kind of vibration like this unless something was wrong.
This is not just a light feeling vibration that tickles, this vibration can be felt on the floor and happens between 1200-1500RPM and then again at 2500-3000RPM.
In the past when I have seen this it is usually a harmonic balancer, or a transmission that is not filled to the fill line, Dodge Rams had this in 2009 and needed their PCM's reprogrammed.
I am looking to see if anyone has felt this and said "That does not feel right". Or if yours does not do this at all...so far everyone has said theirs do this (But I believe just a light tickle if it does not bother them).

The other 2012 Explorers I drove did this also but lightly compared to mine.
I am thinking that this is something that is with all 2012 and 2011 Explorers but normally it stays light enough not to notice it.

Please keep posting if you have any updates or input or if your dealer figures it out.
Yes answers would be so wonderful so I can get this fixed.

Cory...I sent you my info like you asked.

I have noticed the vibrations from the accelerator from time to time in the past. Recently it hasn't come to my notice. I probably got used to the vibration. As long as it's normal and the Explorer is not going to blow up, it's probably okay. This issue about the accelerator vibrating has been posted before.

Have not noticed this yet, I have 1600 miles on our 2012 x

Some problem

I notice the same problem. Almost all of the time I feel electric razor under my food. It's very annoying. Fortunately for longer trip I use adaptive cruise control. It is awesome feature!

...Cory...I sent you my info like you asked.
Thanks for the heads up, Nexus. There are already a couple of messages waiting in my inbox, so I’ll send a reply as soon as I can.

For those who have experienced this,

I want to forward the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t done so already, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and mileage.

Cory

Hello all my new Explorer friends,
I have been troubleshooting this issue (and not spending time with my pregnant wife..lol) and found that in the morning after 5 minutes of driving there is a very little amount of vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM. Feels just as it should no complaints....I would be sooo happy if it stayed this way.

Here is my Troubleshooting and testing:
My 2012 Explorer XLT has sat in my driveway overnight since 6pm the night before (roughly 13 hours) with a low of 40F overnight.
After approx 20 minutes of driving (I watched the time minute by minute) I noticed the gas pedal started with the harsher vibration, but not as bad as it gets. I drove another 30 minutes to work and it started to get bad to the point of feeling like the electric razor buzzing under my foot when I finally made it to the parking lot and drove between 1200-1500RPM.

The first 20 minutes of driving in the morning felt similar to what the two other 2012 Explorer Limited's I test drove. They had been sitting all night also and I only test drove them for about 15 - 20 minutes just enough to feel their gas pedal start to tingle (good description?).
OK...now I think I am on to something.

Driving home from work was different as I started out of the parking lot it only took about 5 minutes for the gas pedal to start vibrating like an electric razor was under my foot between 1200-1500RPM.
So right from the start of the drive it was bad.
The difference was it had warmed up to about 58F and my 2012 Explorer only sat in the parking lot for 7 hours.
My temp gauge went up to normal in about 8-10 minutes of driving also.

So I think that temp plays a role in this.

Here is what I think MAY be going on:
The transmission and engine heat up much slower in the morning (from sitting overnight in the cold) and the engine stays longer in the closed loop fuel mode which means it runs richer (more gas, less air) which means that the vibration MAY be resulting from a lean fuel condition.
Possibly Timing/knock sensor/fuel mixture/transmission operation I don't know about yet.

Once the vehicle warms up to normal operating temp (took mine approx 20 minutes in the morning) the engine goes to a lean fuel mixture (less gas, more air) which is normal but it causes the vibration (Electric-razor-under-the-foot-feel) to start.

NOW my thought on this is that Ford in the quest to get better fuel economy decided to lean the Fuel mixture as much as possible.

So to test this Ford could reprogram the computer to change how lean they want it and see if the Gas pedal vibration goes away. Yes I know there is a lot involved in this which is why they have not done so yet.

My Thoughts:
It is strange that every 2012 Explorer I have driven and 2012 or 2011 Explorer owner I have met in public and in chat rooms, and in forums have this problem except for 1 person out of approx 25 people and Ford does not have a TSB or recall to fix it...they have to know about it, but they know it will cost too much money to fix.

Also I think the people who have not felt this gas pedal vibration have a short drive and it is not noticeable to them. Or like with my Ford dealer service manager he test drove it (after I drove it 40 min to him) with heavy work boots on with Dr Sholl inserts. He said he could feel it somewhat when the gas pedal vibrated as bad as it gets.

So anyone who has felt this or not felt this please reply with:
1) Does your 2012 or 2011 Explorer do this?
2) How long into the drive do you notice it? Or if you never notice it and your drive is long?
3) How long has the vehicle sat since it was last driven (to its normal operating temp) before you noticed this when you drove it the next time?
4) What was the overnight temp approx?
5) Is it a V6 or the new 4 cyl?

Thank you again to everyone who is helping troubleshoot this.
Please don't be shy about your 2012 and 2011 Explorer if you would like to reply on this thread to help me troubleshoot this even further.

I really don't want to spend any more time at the dealer this year, 6 months in and out and 78 days cumulative on my previous 2010 Explorer braking issue was more than enough.

Haven't noticed it at all in my '11 XLT (AWD 3.5 V6 with towing package). Have 7500 miles on it with zero pedal vibration. It's been in all sorts of weather, temperature, driving conditions etc.

I have not felt any pedal vibration at all.
I have a 2011 Limited with 302a, tow, AWD and 9k miles.
I make frequent 30-90 minute drives, short city drives, gravel roads and off road.

Pedal vibration and outside temp

As I mentioned before I had the same problem and I notice it is depended at outside temperature. In colder days ( especially morning) I don't have vibration or have very small vibration. I hot day and when engine is hot I notice vibrations. First thing what I was thinking was vibrations are from AC unit.... but I'm not sure now.

...I have been troubleshooting this issue (and not spending time with my pregnant wife..lol) and found that in the morning after 5 minutes of driving there is a very little amount of vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM...
Nexus,

All the more reason why I will arrange for you to be called for further assistance. You need to spend time with your pregnant wife! :)

As I mentioned before I had the same problem and I notice it is depended at outside temperature...
kjdrafting,

I have your VIN from previous messages, and I’m happy to forward this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. All I would need via PM is your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

have a 2011 limited with 6,000 miles and have had no pedal vibration at all.

More thoughts

Thanks everyone for posting.:D

I still don't have an answer and Ford has escalated my case.
Hopefully someone can figure this out.

So just to recap my 2012 Explorer gas pedal will vibrate between 1200-1500 RPMs slightly before it reaches regular operating temperature and then will vibrate between 1200-1500 RPM's and 2500-3000RPM's.

And the weird part is at 2000RPM it's perfectly smooth not a single vibration.:rolleyes:

Going up a slight incline will make the problem stand out even more.
Accelerating onto the highway the vibration can be felt strongly in the gas pedal and floor up to 4000RPM's as it shifts into each gear.

I feel the vibration in the floor board at the same time.

Has anyone had theirs in at the shop to get it fixed?
Is this narrowing it down?

I also am wondering if early 2011 Explorers did not have the issue and then late 2011 Explorers (then 2012) got it after Ford changed something around.
Anyone aware of any changes?

Thank you again everyone.
I am so glad I have a nice dealership to go to that will try to figure this out.
Also thanks Cory for trying to help! :thumbsup:

have a 2011 limited with 6,000 miles and have had no pedal vibration at all.

2011 limited 4wd, tow with no vibration at 6300 miles. Sorry about the problems

Hello again everyone.

If you have a 2012 Explorer could you please reply and let me know if you have a vibration in your gas pedal.
And if so at approx what speed/RPM and how bad do you feel it?

Can anyone think of any reason why their might be a vibration in my 2012 Explorer gas pedal between 1200-1500 RPM and 2500-3000RPM?

At 2000 RPM there is no vibration (Feels like any other vehicle).

After it is cold and sits overnight there is a little bit of a vibration in the gas pedal but as it warms up after 20 minutes of driving it gets worse.

In the afternoon coming home from work the gas pedal starts to vibrate within about 5 minutes of driving.

Anyone have the 18" wheels like I do?
Do you think they are a rough ride?
I can feel every stone chip in the road through my steering wheel.
Feels similar to driving on a grated road.
It lets up when driving on asphalt.

Could this all be a transmission problem?
Anyone have a transmission problem that got repaired and also had a vibration that was fixed as well?

Could it be a wheel hub?
Could it be a transmission that is not properly filled?
Could it be a transmission mount? (2600 miles)

Anybody that has any ideas I would greatly appreciate your input.

I am open to any ideas that would make sense.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Thank you again everyone.
I am so glad I have a nice dealership to go to that will try to figure this out.
Also thanks Cory for trying to help! :thumbsup:
You’re very welcome, Nexus. I made sure you’ll be called before the end of the day today. I also sent you a PM, so check your inbox for the details.

Cory

Back