• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer Rear-ended

scotted73

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited 4WD
Sitting in traffic several cars from the stoplight.
Light changes to green.
Traffic does not move with the exception of the 2005 Chevy Tahoe behind me. It lurches forward and is stopped by the bumper of my Explorer.
We pull off to a side street and as I see the caved in bumper of the Tahoe, I imagine a demolished bumper on my Explorer along with other damaged things. Not so. The damage on my car seems to be cosmetic and the Tahoe did not fare as well. It appears that a new bumper cover (black portion), reflector and hitch cover are all that is needed so far.

The attached pics show that the hitch took the brunt of the hit.

I dropped off my Explorer for repair this morning and received a 2015 Chevy Suburban. Funny.

I don't believe any painting will be required and the rear sensors seem to operating as before. Hoping that the tow components are fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7583.jpg
    IMG_7583.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_7489.jpg
    IMG_7489.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_7499.jpg
    IMG_7499.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 314

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When my wife got rear ended, they needed to replace the black plastic lower bumper cover, one sensor, r&r the wiring, and replaced the absorber. About $1300 plus 2 days rental. No paint work necessary.

Thank goodness for the hitch. Did you pound the guy driving the Tahoe?

Looks like he hit a fire hydrant.

Hopefully no structural damage on the Explorer. The hitch got him good but have the Explorer checked over thoroughly!!

Wow, looking at that Tahoe bumper, you'd never think the Explorer would fare as well as it did.

The rear of the Explorer is surprisingly tough. I actually helped a friend push up their car with the rear of my Explorer with no damage. Good stuff.

Back