2012 Explorer Rear Shock Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer Rear Shock Installation

ew2012exp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
I've replaced the rear shocks on my 2012 Explorer. Can someone suggest how I can tighten the top shock mount nut as required to 41 ft-lbs? I have the shocks installed. The top of the shock mount, threaded stud, has hex on top to supposedly hold it and keep the threaded stud from turning when tightening the nut. Hold do I hold this and simultaneously use my torque wrench to tighten the top mount nut? The nut is on the same threaded stud or shaft that has the hex on top. The space is very tight and I'm having trouble evening trying an open end wrench - but that doesn't allow me to verify torque. What am I missing?

Help appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen some people use a pipe wrench on the top main tube part of the shock. Just have to be carefull and not dent it.

Does yours use the type that has a bushing on the top and bottom of were the rod goes through with a big washer on the top before the nut goes on?

If so I don't use a torque wrench on those, I just torque until the bushing pushes out flush with the metal washer.

Or use crowsfoot:
crowsfoot-flare-nutlj.jpg

Thanks - Explorer Rear Shocks

Thanks Sheltonfilms:

Yes I have the rubber bushing with the large metal washer.

Appreciate the response and tips. Wonder how this is done by Ford Service?

Thanks, Ed

A crows foot may work if you have the room.

If you have a socket that will fit the hex part of the shaft you can set your torque wrench to loosen and hold the nut with a combo wrench and torque it backwards. You will be turning the hex and entire shock shaft backwards but by holding the nut you will still be tightening the nut. You should be able to get a torque value that way.

Thanks Dont Slow Down

I had actually thought of this myself but wasn't sure if turning the shock shaft was detrimental for some reason. If not I can give it a try. Hard to hold the nut but probably doable.

Thanks, Ed

Back