2012 Ford Explorer Trailer towing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ford Explorer Trailer towing

Having the rear view camera is the best thing for towing since, well, towing! I can EASILY back the ball under the hitch using just the camera that I rarely have to even push on the trailer tongue to get it to drop onto the ball. Fantastic!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm towing a 20' hybrid camper that weighs in at about 4000 lbs. loaded up. My trailer has an unloaded weight of 3600 lbs. You'll definitely want to get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control for towing a full height camper.

IMG_9869.jpg

How has your overall towing experience been so far?

Palomino trailer? What size! All the option andp emenities, looking to buy a trailer soon.

Finally buying a Funfinder 20', weighs 3850 dry, thinking about 500-700ibs of supplies? Should push me too 4500 for towing. Also a few I spoke with states you normally would not tow with full water tanks in trailer if you are going to a place with hook ups. Any thoughts guys? Also can you recommend a good WDH?

Finally buying a Funfinder 20', weighs 3850 dry, thinking about 500-700ibs of supplies? Should push me too 4500 for towing. Also a few I spoke with states you normally would not tow with full water tanks in trailer if you are going to a place with hook ups. Any thoughts guys? Also can you recommend a good WDH?

Congrats on the new camper purchase! I don't ever tow mine with a full water tank, that's just extra weight I don't need to carry. I keep a few gallons in it just so we can use the toilet and a quick hand wash if necessary. We mostly camp at sites with full hookups. On occasion we'll have an electric only site, but the campground usually has a spot to fill your water tank before setting up.

As for weight distribution, a lot of people on the RV forum like the Equalizer hitch. After a lot of research, I bought the SwayPro by Blue Ox. It's been a great hitch. It's easy to set up, easy to hook up and no messy grease to deal with. I have no complaints about it and would recommend it to anyone.

We are towing a 2012 Jayco Jayfeather 228 travel trailer with our 2011 Explorer XLT. Loaded with gear it weighs in at 4450 lbs and the explorer with gear and six passengers (myself, wife and three kids) is 5200 lbs. Towing has been ok with the Explorer. We live in a somewhat hilly area. Mileage drops to around 9 mpg and most of the time the truck runs in fourth gear if I am driving 60 mph. Mileage will go up to 10 mpg if I drop the speed down to 57 mph and will drive in fifth on the flat areas. I don't think I would want to take it through the Canadian Rockies but for driving around the province it is working for us.

Ok ended up purchasing a 2012 Rookwood, Mini Lite 2109S, I canned the FunFinder deal, picked this up from a local dealer. The dry weight is 3617, I think this will be better for the ex in towing. Picking it up tomorrow, wish me luck!

Well first off welcome...
ONE THING YOU SHOULD REALLY BANK ON IS 4WD!!! One of our other members only has front wheel drive and had some minor traction issues trying to pull a boat out of the water, but you'll be hauling a trailer and I would apply the same situation to you when going up hill or for emergency. When you get the 4WD system you are allotted a weight increase to a total of 10125lbs of GCVW... Vehicle, Payload, and Trailer= 10125lbs...

You don't get any additional capacity by going with the 4WD. The additional weight in the GCVWR is simply to cover the additional weight of the 4WD components, so the MAX tow rating can remain the same.

As far as the weight of camper:
10125 (GCVWR) - 4600 (approx base curb wgt) - 150 (standard driver allowance) = 5075 lbs
Get a more accurate actual empty weight if possible door sticker
Let's say an actual vehicle with 4WD and other options is 5000 lbs
10125-5000-150 = 4975

As you can see, I'm almost exactly at the stated MAX towing rating. That is how Ford handles the numbers of all their vehicles.

Therefore, any passenger or cargo stuff that goes into the Explorer must be subtracted from that MAX 5000 rating, to get an actual rating.
So if you have 400 lbs of spouse and kids, plus 100 lbs of snacks and DVD players, that leaves you with 4500 lbs for the loaded trailer.
If for some reason your Explorer is decked out and weights 5200 lbs, you'll only have 4300 lbs for the loaded trailer.
So, just do the math, with all known weights. Estimate conservatively for all unknown weights.
DO NOT TOW OVER ANY RATINGS, EVEN IF DOZENS OF CHATSITE MEMBERS TELL YOU IT'S OK.

Hate to necro an old thread but I'm thinking of getting the Rockwood Roo 17 or 19. With the 19 loaded, little water, I'm looking to be right on the max at about 4100 lbs. Anyone towing a TT near max have experience on handling, specifically up and down mountains? The 17 is looking like about 3500lbs loaded, but it's single axle. I should add, yellow sticker for the 17 was 2700lbs, 19 was 3610.

I too will be pulling however it will be a 22ft boat with surge brakes. With gear and occupants I will be close to 5,000 lbs and will need a WDH. Reese and Blue Ox make units compatible with surge brakes, does anyone have experience using one or the other?

Should clarify, soon to be tow vehicle will be 2014 Explorer Sport waiting for shipment on ramp 6 in Chicago.

Back