2012 Limited Expo - 24x10 Rims..... H.E.L.P | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Limited Expo - 24x10 Rims..... H.E.L.P

Coleon

Reaction score
City, State
Fort myers, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer limited
Callsign
Coleon
I hope I'm posting in the right forum. If not I apologize and will move if need be.....

I have a 2012 Limited Edition Explorer, And have been on the hunt for a set of 24" rims that are to my liking. I recently came across an individual who has a set of 5 lug (114.3) 24x10 in rims with no tires. I am completely in love with the type of rim and price.

Here's my question. I can recall about 6 months ago I was looking for a set of rims and tires online and was told if I am remembering correctly the maximum width I can go on my Explorer is 9.5" wide. In the same breath I almost remember him telling me I could use a 10" wide tire with the appropriate size diameter tire.

One of the major discrepancies I'm faced with right now is not knowing the offset of the rim that I am wanting to buy used online. I've asked the individual to take some pictures of the inside of the rim hoping there is a stamp that would reference the offset. I'm hoping there's someone out there on this planet that has put a 24" rim possibly 10" wide set up on a 2012 Ford Explorer.

I know this is also a stretch but I looked up a set of lowering Springs for my truck and came across a set that would lower the rear 1.75" and lower the front less then 1 and basically leveling out the vehicle. The Springs obviously would be something to do down the road but ultimately I would love not to have some huge gap between the tire and the Fender as I have seen on 2 vehicles in the past. 1 guy had a bone stock 2013 explore. With a set of 24" tires with no Springs. And there was 3 to 4" between the top of the tire and the wheel well. It basically looked like a roller skate on steroids.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.....

Cole

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Cole.:wave:
I don't think very many are running 24" wheels here. They would surely provide a much rougher ride and there is little to no protection for the wheel itself from potholes etc.
Have you checked out a site like Tire Rack to get offset info? I believe they have a few tech articles on things like that. Also, this is a thread about offset on a 22". 22" wheel offset

Peter

I don't think very many are running 24" wheels here. They would surely provide a much rougher ride and there is little to no protection for the wheel itself from potholes etc.
Have you checked out a site like Tire Rack to get offset info? I believe they have a few tech articles on things like that. Also, this is a thread about offset on a 22". 22" wheel offset

Peter
I appreciate you reading/replying to my question. Checking out TR.com is a good idea, As i'm gonna check that out now.
I haven't had too much luck finding someone with a similar setup to speak too
But when I do Ill post up the info.

Also: I tried looking up a set of coil overs for my Expo, but all I came across were springs... lol Have you ever heard of anyone putting coilovers on an Explorer?

Thanks....

Peter
Peterk9: Sorry about the delayed response, crazy time of year in my profession. Thank u for reading my post, and about the offset. I went to a shop here locally and he was kind enough to have one of his shop guys test pit a 24x9 rim, with a 245/30/ZR24.

The offset on that rim was a 35. And it sat perfect offset wise. I barley cleared the inner frt wheel well. I didnt have a whole lot of time to dig around under my truck to check everything. But did turn in both directions, no rub. And turning under a load Im pretty sure as long as im not doing 60 mph around a "Round-a-bout", I should be fine.

The extremly thin low profile tire was disgusting.... No meat on there at all. My previous experiences with a 30-40 series low pro tire was a big mistake. Felt every pebble, Road pulling me in every direction when stopping at a light etc..
And thats one thing I do not want this time around.

I did have the guy put that rim on the back, and I was not impressed at all. Looked dumb as **** in my opinion. There must had been 5 inches or so between top of tire and bottom of wheel well..
nest off before I do anything, I need to lower the car. I have NOT FOUND, ANYWHERE, a manufacturer that makes coil overs for a 2012 Expo...
I found 2 sets of springs..

Steeds makes what appears to be a solid looking set of springs.
right around the 300 dollar mark.
I looked a little harder and noticed they are of of inventory.... " AWESOME"....

H&R make a set aswell. They are also around the 300 range. And are available.
Though basically they claim it lowers rear approx 2.5, and the frt approx 1.25 - 1.50 (I believe)

And way sorry to go on a rant, just wanted to update. Ill post before an after pix of my expo with the H&R Springs. Once that's done, I'll try and find someone with a 9.5 or 10 inch wide, 24 inch rim, and see about clearance.

I'm gonna try an upload the pix from the other day when I test fit that 24x9 on my expo.

Thx

Couldn't link/attach for whatever reason. But above links work if anyone is interested.

Thx

Not much rubber there to absorb bumps etc and will be very prone to 'curb rash'. I think you'll find the ride a little harsher.

Peter

Not much rubber there to absorb bumps etc and will be very prone to 'curb rash'. I think you'll find the ride a little harsher.

Peter

Agreed... Riding around with that thin of a side wall is simply "Asking For Problems..."

After I lower the truck just a tad (1.5f/2.5r) Im praying I can fit anything from a 45 - 55 series tire on there, and retain some ride comforts and clear everything with a 10 Inch wide rim.
(I just don't see how that's going to fit up front with "Zero" issues, and clear everything like I was told)

It would be F'ing BadAss, Definitely.....
But a guy like me, doesn't always have that kinda luck....

Anyway, I appreciate'cha Mista PeterK9...... Ltr/Thx

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. If not I apologize and will move if need be.....

I have a 2012 Limited Edition Explorer, And have been on the hunt for a set of 24" rims that are to my liking. I recently came across an individual who has a set of 5 lug (114.3) 24x10 in rims with no tires. I am completely in love with the type of rim and price.

Here's my question. I can recall about 6 months ago I was looking for a set of rims and tires online and was told if I am remembering correctly the maximum width I can go on my Explorer is 9.5" wide. In the same breath I almost remember him telling me I could use a 10" wide tire with the appropriate size diameter tire.

One of the major discrepancies I'm faced with right now is not knowing the offset of the rim that I am wanting to buy used online. I've asked the individual to take some pictures of the inside of the rim hoping there is a stamp that would reference the offset. I'm hoping there's someone out there on this planet that has put a 24" rim possibly 10" wide set up on a 2012 Ford Explorer.

I know this is also a stretch but I looked up a set of lowering Springs for my truck and came across a set that would lower the rear 1.75" and lower the front less then 1 and basically leveling out the vehicle. The Springs obviously would be something to do down the road but ultimately I would love not to have some huge gap between the tire and the Fender as I have seen on 2 vehicles in the past. 1 guy had a bone stock 2013 explore. With a set of 24" tires with no Springs. And there was 3 to 4" between the top of the tire and the wheel well. It basically looked like a roller skate on steroids.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.....

Cole

Okay, now that we have the haters out of the way, let me try to really help you out a bit.

I am running Advan GT Premiums in 20x11s with an offset of 15mm. I have 295/45-20 tires on it with zero rubbing issues and also have the H&R lowering springs. These wheels with that offset stick out a bit, but not much to be honest.

S-oZIdcO14VGaA?width=498&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

HjAS22k-nYAmSw?width=498&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

NWcGy8IECy44IA?width=1024&height=498&cropmode=none.jpg

Before that, I had the a set of Volk Racing TE-37 Ultras in 20x10 with an offset of 30mm and also a 0.25" spacer (effectively about a 24mm offset). They were sitting on 275/45-20 tires. No rubbing at all.

sBwrwergeSEyQ?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

4op68JE4LyJLXw?width=1024&height=575&cropmode=none.jpg

And before THAT, I was running stock 20" wheels (20x9 with 44mm offset) with 1" spacers (effectively about a 19mm offset) all the way around with zero issues.

XHYeS-0tqtAbSA?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

DXCVuiRILrvHpQ?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

pW3iTLyEMMKWyg?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

As I mentioned, all these setups with the H&R springs. Ride quality is great as I also have the Bilstein B6s.

BTW, AMR Engineering makes coilovers and there's even a guy on IG who has bags on his Explorer (@bagged_explorer). I love the look, but not a fan of the harsh ride of both as they won't serve me well in my question to go fast...but damn , it'll look good low, for sure!

Now, it IS true, with 24s your ride will be more harsh, but who cares...I think you're smart enough to know that already and don't need people coming on here telling you that "you'll shoot your eye out" ('A Christmas Story' reference). That didn't answer your question at all. I'm not opposed to constructive criticism, however, providing a viable solution, and/or answer to the question, along with that criticism is of more value.

Anyway, an AWESOME resource for you is here:

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Even though they are all over the internet, this is my favorite one. You can compare the stock size to whatever size you feel like using and see what kind of differences they may have. It also shows a visual representation, so that's helpful.

Remember, ideally you want to maintain the stock Outside Diameter as that is what many of the speed and RPM calculations are based on. And by extension, shift points of the transmission. It's not the end of the world though because if you have a tuning device like an SCT or HPTuner, you can change that within the PCM. I've heard it is also do-able via FORSCAN, but haven't tried that.

Weight is also a concern as heavier wheels will effect your MPG (if you care about things like that, I give zero F's about MPG) and performance (this is where I personally am heavily concerned).

Oh yeah, don't forget, when you buy your rims to get the appropriate hub centering ring...some people forget this and it can throw off the balance of the wheels (even when the wheels themselves are balanced properly). Stock hub centering size is 63.1mm. A 63mm to whatever size your wheel has will be fine. My Advans (and the Volks) have 73mm, so I got a set of 63mm to 73 mm hub centering rings. They are usually around $15-$25 a pair, depending on where you get them. And many wheel places offer them free. Vivid Racing sent mine free of charge when I got my wheels from them.

Stock Explorer Sport 20" wheel info:
- 20x9
- 44mm offset
- 255/50-20 tires
- 74lbs tire/wheel weight

Anyway, happy modding. Show it off when you get it done!

Back