2012 Rear Suspension Rattle - Going insane! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Rear Suspension Rattle - Going insane!

BoisvertXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Heaven
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012, Explorer XLT
Hello All,

Been lurking the boards for years and very thankful for all the information here. I had some issues with my front suspension and replaced the strut and strut hats and noise went away. Now the rear started making a rattle noise over bump, definitely coming from outside, I can hear it clearly if I'm sitting on the third row and someone else is driving. So I took advantage since I have 190K miles and replaced the rear struts, all four sway bar links and lower control bar bushings. But noise is still there.

I have:
- Checked to make sure it's not the 2nd or 3rd row.
- Checked and make sure everything is tight
- Removed the strut and it seems to be OK.
- Checked that the spare tire is tight and nothing is loose there.
- Also search in depth and wasn't able to find anything related specifically to rear suspension.

Could it be a bad strut, they were not OEM, they are A1Auto. I'm willing to replace with OEM rears if this could be the cause. I'm also thinking of replacing the spring upper insulators and rear insulators.

Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Any chance the muffler system might be the cause?

Peter

Any chance the muffler system might be the cause?

Peter

Hi Peter. I'm almost 100% certain it's coming from the rear right suspension area. I checked all the exhaust hangers and everything looks fine.

Taking it to get checked out by a the shop on Monday. Will report back.

Got kids, could be some of theyre peanut M&M's rattling around in the 3rd row cupholders... J/K

Check the brake pads to see if they are loose in the caliper bracket.

The imported shocks and struts are hit and miss for quality, that could be your problem as well.

Check the brake pads to see if they are loose in the caliper bracket.

The imported shocks and struts are hit and miss for quality, that could be your problem as well.

Will check the brakes, thank you.
I'm prepared to replace with OEM shocks as well.

Will check the brakes, thank you.
I'm prepared to replace with OEM shocks as well.
Hopefully you were able to get answers.
My thoughts:
Something loose
Sway bar links/bushings
Rear control arms/bushings
Shocks
Others mentioned
It has 190k and it's tired.

Hopefully you were able to get answers.
My thoughts:
Something loose
Sway bar links/bushings
Rear control arms/bushings
Shocks
Others mentioned
It has 190k and it's tired.
Replaced:

Rear Sway bar Links OEM
Rear Bushings OEM
Front Strut Hats OEM
Front Shocks + Struts 1A Auto
Rear Shocks 1A Auto

Noise still present. I'm going to remove the internal trunk panels, middle and rear seats and will test to see. Also will test gas tank.

As an extreme resolution will try lower control arms.

Check to see if the spare tire is tightly secured....

any answers? Having the same problem only after replacing both wheel bearing assemblies

any answers? Having the same problem only after replacing both wheel bearing assemblies
If the noise only started after replacing the wheel bearing assemblies at least you have a starting point. BTW, the thread starter hasn't been seen here since July 17, 2022 so may no longer be following.

Peter

Back