2012 Steering issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Steering issue

sdmcwilliams

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Last Friday I went to back out of my driveway and the steering wheel felt really tight. I started to leave and it sounded like rubber/plastic rubbing somewhere and I thought I had a flat tire. I got out and everything was good with the tires. The vehicle was drivable but when I made a turn I had to force the steering wheel back to center.

My wife took it in this morning and I just got the call that they have to replace the rack & pinion. Luckily they can get the part in tomorrow and said it should be done by tomorrow evening. There were no idiot lights or warning messages. Has anyone else experienced this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last Friday I went to back out of my driveway and the steering wheel felt really tight. I started to leave and it sounded like rubber/plastic rubbing somewhere and I thought I had a flat tire. I got out and everything was good with the tires. The vehicle was drivable but when I made a turn I had to force the steering wheel back to center.

My wife took it in this morning and I just got the call that they have to replace the rack & pinion. Luckily they can get the part in tomorrow and said it should be done by tomorrow evening. There were no idiot lights or warning messages. Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm sure that you are aware of the existing thread on steering issues but yours appears to be a bit different;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445

Peter

My wife took it in this morning and I just got the call that they have to replace the rack & pinion. Luckily they can get the part in tomorrow and said it should be done by tomorrow evening...

I'm happy to hear this is getting quickly resolved for you, sdmcwilliams. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns. :)

Crystal

I just got it back and it's like new again. The bill would have been $1900 if not for my warranty. They replaced the gear assembly according to the invoice. I didn't have time to chat with anyone there while picking it up. I am assuming that is the entire rack & pinion gear assembly.

Back