• Register Today It's free!

2012 X new owner review

Peachypro

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ex Blue 302a Captain
Proud owner of the Blue Pearl/Tan Ltd FWD with captains/console and 302a package. I struggled with needing a tow package and AWD but after 2 months of searching and reading all the great info here I let those 2 items pass. It rarely snows in the south and I will go further south if it does. The tow package was a concern but in the end my wife reminded me i'm not much of a handi man and this cat is too sexy to have something slowing it down(IMO). We squeezed as much as we could out of the dealer on Friday night(last day month). It's interesting how much they come down if you say "this offer is good until midnight" and show you are willing to walk on the last day of a quarter. We also found that when the finance guy goes into all the supplemental packages(100K,DVD,dings/dents,detailing) and you stew over it for a while how quickly they hack off $200 here and $300 there. This forum gave me the knowledge and leverage to get the car I wanted at a great price.

My impressions of the car so far are all very positive. It handles well with a little less acceleration than my last car(V8 Jeep) but I also won't have to get gas twice a week either. The first test will come this week as the family is taking a 7 hour drive for the kids fall break and I feel confident MFT will not disappoint.

My only grip so far is the visor. My morning and afternoon commute this time of year the sun hits exactly where the visor does not reach. My 2001 Jeep had telescopic visors but a 2012 X does not. It is enough of an issue that I will need to go to an auto parts store to get a clip on or the sunglass hut for the 3 sided sunglasses. Unless someone has a better idea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Proud owner of the Blue Pearl/Tan Ltd FWD with captains/console and 302a package. I struggled with needing a tow package and AWD but after 2 months of searching and reading all the great info here I let those 2 items pass. It rarely snows in the south and I will go further south if it does. The tow package was a concern but in the end my wife reminded me i'm not much of a handi man and this cat is too sexy to have something slowing it down(IMO). We squeezed as much as we could out of the dealer on Friday night(last day month). It's interesting how much they come down if you say "this offer is good until midnight" and show you are willing to walk on the last day of a quarter. We also found that when the finance guy goes into all the supplemental packages(100K,DVD,dings/dents,detailing) and you stew over it for a while how quickly they hack off $200 here and $300 there. This forum gave me the knowledge and leverage to get the car I wanted at a great price.

My impressions of the car so far are all very positive. It handles well with a little less acceleration than my last car(V8 Jeep) but I also won't have to get gas twice a week either. The first test will come this week as the family is taking a 7 hour drive for the kids fall break and I feel confident MFT will not disappoint.

My only grip so far is the visor. My morning and afternoon commute this time of year the sun hits exactly where the visor does not reach. My 2001 Jeep had telescopic visors but a 2012 X does not. It is enough of an issue that I will need to go to an auto parts store to get a clip on or the sunglass hut for the 3 sided sunglasses. Unless someone has a better idea.
Welcome aboard Peachypro. :wavey: Congrats on your new Explorer.
My former '09 Highlander had those visior extenders but I never had to use them. Lucky I guess. Happy motoring.:)

Peter

Welcome! Just want to point out the Ex's visor, when positioned to the side window, extends on the rod. Try sliding it to see if it covers you. I have found that is the ticket to get the right coverage.

My 2001 Jeep had telescopic visors but a 2012 X does not.

Like Car_54 said, the X indeed has telescoping visors. I used mine just today.

Congrats, try moving the seat higher when the sun reaches under the visor, as a temporary measure. Good luck with the new ride.

Glad to report that in fact there are telescopic visors on the 12X. Mine were stiff at first but after 3 deployments they are working perfectly.

Thanks for the info.

Back