2012 XLT standard cruise control no power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 XLT standard cruise control no power

phenrichs78

Reaction score
City, State
Watertown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Hello,
I have a 2012 XLT ecoboost with standard cruise control, It DOES NOT have Adaptive.
The cruise control has no power. The On/Off switch does nothing. I thought to check the fuse but I cannot find one for the cruise control. I found one labeld for Adapative with no fuse in it but that makes sense to me since it is not equipped with adaptive cruise. I am not able to find any other fuse labeled for cruise.

What else can I check without tearing apart the vehicle or blindly throwing money at it for new parts?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you check fuse #91 in the engine bay fuse box? It is labelled for ACC. The manual seems to always refer to Adaptive everytime cruise control is mentioned.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you check fuse #91 in the engine bay fuse box? It is labelled for ACC. The manual seems to always refer to Adaptive everytime cruise control is mentioned.

Peter
I did look there and there is no fuse in it at all. But since it was labeled for ACC I figured that may be normal. I suppose I can pop a fuse in it and see what happens

There is no fuse specifically for the speed control.

Remember, these things are computer networks on wheels. The driver presses a button, a computer reads that and sends a computer network message to another computer to execute the desired function.

Might be steering wheel switch, the clockspring, the SCCM, or one of the other inputs to the PCM that it relies on for speed control operation. You really have to follow the diagnostic procedure to avoid guessing in the dark.

There is no fuse specifically for the speed control.

Remember, these things are computer networks on wheels. The driver presses a button, a computer reads that and sends a computer network message to another computer to execute the desired function.

Might be steering wheel switch, the clockspring, the SCCM, or one of the other inputs to the PCM that it relies on for speed control operation. You really have to follow the diagnostic procedure to avoid guessing in the dark.
That's what I was afraid of. I assumed the fuse for ACC is for the remote sensor in the bumper.
I'm wondering about power switch since there is zero response from the on off switch.
I also believe that may be the smallest piece in time and cost

I assumed the fuse for ACC is for the remote sensor in the bumper.
Yeah, it's for the radar module.

What else can I check without tearing apart the vehicle or blindly throwing money at it for new parts?
You'd have to use a capable scan tool or equivalent to "read" the computer to see what it is "seeing" when switches are pressed. Windows Forscan (with free extended license) and recommended OBDII adapter will do the job.

That's what I was afraid of. I assumed the fuse for ACC is for the remote sensor in the bumper.
I'm wondering about power switch since there is zero response from the on off switch.
I also believe that may be the smallest piece in time and cost
Did the cruise control work before and then just stopped working? I don't think that has been mentioned. If so, perhaps it is the switch itself that is faulty.

Peter

It seems it is just the switch.
Took a road trip and played with it and I was able to get it to work. Thinking it may be dirty contact or the switch going out.

Back