2013 - 2nd row bench seat fold away | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 - 2nd row bench seat fold away

Bigghe

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids,IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Hey, I've been a lurker for the better part of 6 months and a 3 month owner of a 2013 XLT.

Has anyone else had any issues with their second row seats not folding away? I thought I would ask the experts before taking it in for service.

I know that this worked when we first got the vehicle, but now I cannot get the driver's side (60 of the 60/40) to fold away. I can get the seat to fold down but not the second step. The passenger side has no issues.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the strap or the handle?

(I'm assuiming the XLT has the same setup as a Limited)

I believe I tried both the handle and the strap. Whatever worked on the passenger side hasn't worked on the driver's side. One thing I thought of after I posted was to check for an obstruction underneath. This is the side my wife has our child's car seat.

My guess is that the handle or strap isn't disengaging the seat to allow it to fold forward, or there is something obstructing it from tilting forward.

I've had this problem too on one side. Push down on the folded seat to release the tension from the hook mechanism on the floor, then pull the strap or lever. It should tilt up now.

Thanks ercole... I'll give it a shot tonight.

That is one of the reasons I got the buckets in the Limited. My wife struggled with the bench even doing what you said above. It will loosen up as you use it.

On mine you have to pull the strap then the handle while still pulling the strap. I assume you know this since you said the other side works, but thought I would throw it out there. :cool:

Thanks all! Pushing down on the seat prior to release solved my problem.

Had same issue it was at the dealer 4 times, could not duplicate, really? So I fixed it myself, there is an adjustment at the bottom of seat mech. Also floor hooks. Getting tired of fixing a 50 k vehicle.

Thanks all! Pushing down on the seat prior to release solved my problem.
It’s great this was figured out with the help of the community, Bigghe; it’s called teamwork! :D

My guess is that the handle or strap isn't disengaging the seat to allow it to fold forward, or there is something obstructing it from tilting forward.
I've had this problem too on one side. Push down on the folded seat to release the tension from the hook mechanism on the floor, then pull the strap or lever. It should tilt up now.
On mine you have to pull the strap then the handle while still pulling the strap. I assume you know this since you said the other side works, but thought I would throw it out there. :cool:
harlenm, ercole, & bluex232,

Thanks for lending a hand, guys! :thumbsup:

Had same issue it was at the dealer 4 times, could not duplicate, really? So I fixed it myself...
I’m glad this was finally taken care of, Spengracin.

Cory

On my explorer when i bring the seat forward it hits the drivers seat. I moved the drivers seat up but it still hits. Any ideas for me.

On my explorer when i bring the seat forward it hits the drivers seat. I moved the drivers seat up but it still hits. Any ideas for me.

I'm not sure what is hitting the front seat, but are you sure you are pulling the little strap on the 2nd row headrests to fold them before attempting to fold the seat back and seat?

Is anyone sitting in the seat, GeoMimi89? ;) LOL JK

Seriously though, check the headrest positions. Could you post pictures?

This is in the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing on page 178:

"Lift the handle to adjust seatback rearward or forward. The seatback can also fold forward until it is flat.

Lift the handle and fold the seatback forward until it is flat.

Note: For the bench seats, make sure the center safety belt is unbuckled before folding the seatback.”

You can also try removing the headrests. The instructions for that is on page 170 in the section called “Second row center seat head restraint (if equipped)”:

“Remove: Pull up the head restraint until it reaches the highest adjustment position and then press and hold both the adjust/release button (C) and the unlock/remove button (D), then pull up on the head restraint.”

For a free digital copy of the Owner Guide, go here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

I'm not sure what is hitting the front seat, but are you sure you are pulling the little strap on the 2nd row headrests to fold them before attempting to fold the seat back and seat?
Great idea, VinceL; maybe others can post their experiences with folding the seats down. :)

Cory

The headrest is hitting the front seat. It is folded down.
I fold the headrest down, fold the back of the seat with the loop handle, then I use the handle on the side of the seat to fold forward. The headrest hits the lower part of the front seat. This is the 60 side the 40 side fold fine.

Are you really tall (or a gansta rollin with the homies?) and your seat is really far back? I'm a munchkin so I don't have any problems, but the fiance is tall and has to put the seat back pretty far, I don't think I have tried to fold the seat down after he drives, but I know we have to move the seat forward to get our infant car seat in when he is driving. Just a thought! :cool:

Even when I put the front seat forward it still hits. I'll try to take some pictures tonight.

Was going to post pictures tonight. I moved the drivers seat all the way up (I had it almost all the way back) the seat folded corectly! Then I moved it back until it touched the seat. It is working now and I can deal with the new front seat position. Thanks for the help!

Was going to post pictures tonight. I moved the drivers seat all the way up (I had it almost all the way back) the seat folded corectly! Then I moved it back until it touched the seat. It is working now and I can deal with the new front seat position. Thanks for the help!

No problem! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I moved the drivers seat all the way up (I had it almost all the way back) the seat folded corectly!...Thanks for the help!
That’s awesome you got it figured out, GeoMimi89! Thanks for the update. :):thumbsup:

Are you really tall (or a gansta rollin with the homies?) and your seat is really far back? I'm a munchkin so I don't have any problems, but the fiance is tall and has to put the seat back pretty far...
Nice going, bluex232; it’s good to have a tall fiancé! :D

Cory

Back