2013 base model radio stays on. non MFT radio. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 base model radio stays on. non MFT radio.

vpcarson

Reaction score
Last year My wife and I got a new 13 base model explorer. We are happy with it and has been problem free for about 4 months. 4 months after getting our explorer we noticed sometimes the radio would stay on after we get out. To turn the radio off we would just sick the key in, turn to acc then turn the key back off. We took it to the Ford dealer and had it looked at. They couldn't get it to happen. The Ford tech we talked to pulled up the tech ford web site and found that Ford is aware of a problem like this but don't have a fix for it yet. Well here we are almost a year later and the problem is getting worse (the radio is staying on more frequently). I would like to know if anyone is having this same problem and if so have they gotten it fixed.

Last year My wife and I got a new 13 base model explorer. We are happy with it and has been problem free for about 4 months. 4 months after getting our explorer we noticed sometimes the radio would stay on after we get out. To turn the radio off we would just sick the key in, turn to acc then turn the key back off. We took it to the Ford dealer and had it looked at. They couldn't get it to happen. The Ford tech we talked to pulled up the tech ford web site and found that Ford is aware of a problem like this but don't have a fix for it yet. Well here we are almost a year later and the problem is getting worse (the radio is staying on more frequently). I would like to know if anyone is having this same problem and if so have they gotten it fixed.
Welcome to the Forum vpcarson.:wavey:
Here is another thread on the topic. Doesn't include a fix.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353853&highlight=radio+stays

I haven't had that issue but on occasion I find that the radio is OFF when I start the vehicle, even though the radio was not manually turned off before.

Peter

I have a base 2013 and have noticed my info display in the gauge cluster does the same thing your radio does.... The screen is lit up after the truck being turned off, keys removed and even doors locked from outside the vehicle, but nothing is displayed on the screen.

I know mine has been left "on" overnight without any ill effects.

If I turn the ignition to ON and then back off, most of the time it will turn the screen off.

I called the dealer about any updates to this problem and I was surprised to hear Ford now has a fix for this problem. If your Explorer is having this problem call your dealer and make an appointment to get the update to your radio. I say make an appointment because this could take a few hours for the update. Mine only took 1 hour but I was told by the tech working doing the update that the computer said it could take a few hours to complete. I'm not sure how many people are having this problem but I want you guys/gals to know there is a fix. Please get it done before your warranty is out.

Back