2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one??

5 is too many, 3 is plenty in a lane change scenario. The Germans give you 3....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5 is too many, 3 is plenty in a lane change scenario. The Germans give you 3....
There are many on here that feel 3 is not enough. You want to let others know you are going to pass so you have to initiate the blinker BEFORE you start to move over and that usually takes at least 2 - 3 blinks. I would agree 3 is likely enough for pulling back into the right lane but not so for the initial pass. On the other hand, 3 is 3 more than many drivers give.

Peter

Has anyone found an aftermarket multi function switch replacement that has a more user friendly turn signal functionality? The way Ford designed this does result in many accidental high beam flashing. Its frustrating how hard you have to press to activate the turn signal.

Has anyone found an aftermarket multi function switch replacement that has a more user friendly turn signal functionality? The way Ford designed this does result in many accidental high beam flashing. Its frustrating how hard you have to press to activate the turn signal.
Welcome to the Forum Evanskp.:wavey:
For some reason this seems to be more of a 2013 model year issue. I don't know what they changed or why but my 2011 is very smooth to operate.
If really bothers you and you consider yourself to be somewhat mechanically inclined, post #58 in this thread has a link you may be interested in.

Peter

Mine is also very stiff. The '11 i had as a rental was butter smooth. Turning right doesnt take as much force as turnin left. 5 times out of 10 i dont get it far enough to hit the 2nd detent. It is pretty annoying.

No issue with the flashing high beams though.

Mine is also very stiff. The '11 i had as a rental was butter smooth. Turning right doesnt take as much force as turnin left. 5 times out of 10 i dont get it far enough to hit the 2nd detent. It is pretty annoying.

No issue with the flashing high beams though.

Hi machine4321,

Have you visited your dealer concerning this issue? Please PM me your VIN and odometer reading; I'd like to look into this and see what I can do for you.

Bianca

I had mine replaced two weeks ago and it is butter smooth now!

Sometimes I had to actually grab it with closed fingers to get it to move!

I would like to see something done about this. I have not yet gone to the dealer, but I received a recall so I will talk to them when I schedule service for recall # 13S04. What evidence can I provide that this is a common problem in the '13 besides this thread?

I would like to see something done about this. I have not yet gone to the dealer, but I received a recall so I will talk to them when I schedule service for recall # 13S04...

Hi maliboo74,

I want to get this in front of your regional customer service manager so they can assist. Send me a PM with your details (full name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, preferred servicing dealership) and I'll make it happen. :)

Crystal

Hi maliboo74,

I want to get this in front of your regional customer service manager so they can assist. Send me a PM with your details (full name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, preferred servicing dealership) and I'll make it happen. :)

Crystal

Done!

I took mine into the dealership today, I raised the concern about the indicator on the column. They told me that the service manager also has a 2013 Explorer and it functions the same as mine. They explained it is normal and there is nothing they can do to solve the issue. He did acknowledge that it does in fact cause unintended flashing of oncoming traffic.

I'm slightly irritated at the response, just because there is no current fix for it doesn't mean it doesn't need to be fixed. I was basically told to just live w/ it for now.

Getting mine back from the dealer in a few hours. We'll see if there is an improvement.

Cross your fingers!

They came through. The new directional switch feels must smoother and engages much easier. It's going to take some getting used to!

For anyone else who is going to report this to the dealer this is what was described on my invoice:

"DIRECTIONAL LEVEL SEEMS VERY STIFF"

CAUSE: 13300D .50
13300D STEERING COLUMN SWITCH ASSEMBLIES
DIAGNOSIS - L

1 DB5Z*13341*BA SWITCH ASY

I don't know what it means, but hopefully your dealer will.

Thank you to Crystal at Ford Customer Service for contacting the dealer about this on my behalf and to bluex232 for starting this topic!

re turn signal

They came through. The new directional switch feels must smoother and engages much easier. It's going to take some getting used to!

For anyone else who is going to report this to the dealer this is what was described on my invoice:

"DIRECTIONAL LEVEL SEEMS VERY STIFF"

CAUSE: 13300D .50
13300D STEERING COLUMN SWITCH ASSEMBLIES
DIAGNOSIS - L

1 DB5Z*13341*BA SWITCH ASY

I don't know what it means, but hopefully your dealer will.

Thank you to Crystal at Ford Customer Service for contacting the dealer about this on my behalf and to bluex232 for starting this topic!

Some where in this I read that it blinks 5 times in tow not 3 Do you have to have trailer hooked up as I tried my tow not hooked up and only got 3

Some where in this I read that it blinks 5 times in tow not 3 Do you have to have trailer hooked up as I tried my tow not hooked up and only got 3
It is mentioned in post #57. If that is indeed how it works in 'Tow' mode perhaps it requires the connector plugs/wire to be active in order to signal to the computer that 5 'blinks' are now required. Or perhaps it senses the extra electrical load. :dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi imbett,

The feature you are referring to is the Lane Change and is explained on page 76 of the owner guide (2nd Printing):

Lane change

To indicate a left or right lane change:

• Push the lever up/down to the first stop position and release. The turn
signals will flash three times and stop.

• Push the lever up/down to the first stop position and hold. The turn
signals will flash for as long as the lever is held in this position.

I am not aware of anything that would change this setting to 5 blinks. I do not see anything indicating that the turn signals can blink longer than 3 when using the Lane Change feature when towing in any of our literature concerning the 2012 Explorer.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. The technicians at your local dealership are also a good resource for such questions. :)

Bianca

Back