2013 CPO Explorer Sport, 70k miles - good carfax? Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 CPO Explorer Sport, 70k miles - good carfax? Please help

B1Gfan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Saab 9-3 Sportcombi
Hello all!

I am new to the forums but joined because I am seriously considering buying a used Explorer Sport. I want the utility of an SUV, love everything I have read about the twinturbo ecoboost engine, and it is within my budget. Hoping for some feedback on a particular vehicle.

Would anyone care to comment on this carfax?
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...-49|12|123|-125|12|-41|-81|1|119|-57|-31|-83|

Here is the sticker that shows options:
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect...PQXKoZDk1lwktVBoo143CRM7p1lmJyhmuRIi5EU+sZyQ=

One thing I noticed is the previous owner had a skid plate installed. Makes me wonder if they were taking the vehicle off roading quite a bit?

What would be a fair price? Kelly Blue Book purchase from a dealer says $30k. That seems high to me??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, do people have experience on here with maintenance costs for these once they are higher up in mileage (80k, 100k+, etc)?

Hello all!

I am new to the forums but joined because I am seriously considering buying a used Explorer Sport. I want the utility of an SUV, love everything I have read about the twinturbo ecoboost engine, and it is within my budget. Hoping for some feedback on a particular vehicle.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?make=FORD&car_id=430504381&dealer_id=92487&partner=ATD_X&vin=-47|-75|42|24|-19|-110|111|-87|30|98|107|42|-49|12|123|-125|12|-41|-81|1|119|-57|-31|-83|

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=B8uGiyKVjDTYsZ4P8NMOdwaJowNj1vAx5xH6Rdf5E0LoKPzQRH7nhXgMlsMfYg0kYqbPD4znb6UQUJZ3TakSG+cSaJzraoR4W8QrjVe2+CUZbCrfr1l7OvOdXw+KjBRPQXKoZDk1lwktVBoo143CRM7p1lmJyhmuRIi5EU+sZyQ=

One thing I noticed is the previous owner had a skid plate installed. Makes me wonder if they were taking the vehicle off roading quite a bit?

What would be a fair price? Kelly Blue Book purchase from a dealer says $30k. That seems high to me??
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Can't see the Carfax report. By the Window Sticker I see it was built on October 15, 2012. I also see the note 'Special Order'. Not sure what that is about.
I'm not familiar with used vehicle prices in the U.S. Have you compared this vehicle to similar ones on Auto Trader?
If you have access to it I suggest checking the spare tire well for moisture. That is one issue some Explorer owners have had. Water leaking from either the roof rails or liftgate seam. Also keep in mind that it is now a 4+ year old model when negotiating.

Peter

Thank you for the reply!

Can you see the carfax by going through the dealer website link?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Id=430504381&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=EXPLOR

There isn't a whole lot to compare it to in terms of a high(er) mileage CPO 2013 explorer. But the advertised price seems fair. How much lower would you try and negotiate? Assuming the car drives well and nothing raises a red flag? Also looks like it's been on the dealer lot for 7 months, and had the battery replaced since it's been on the lot.

Hello all!

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?make=FORD&car_id=430504381&dealer_id=92487&partner=ATD_X&vin=-47|-75|42|24|-19|-110|111|-87|30|98|107|42|-49|12|123|-125|12|-41|-81|1|119|-57|-31|-83|

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=B8uGiyKVjDTYsZ4P8NMOdwaJowNj1vAx5xH6Rdf5E0LoKPzQRH7nhXgMlsMfYg0kYqbPD4znb6UQUJZ3TakSG+cSaJzraoR4W8QrjVe2+CUZbCrfr1l7OvOdXw+KjBRPQXKoZDk1lwktVBoo143CRM7p1lmJyhmuRIi5EU+sZyQ=

I would be a bit cautious buying a twin turbo engine with 70,000 miles not knowing how the previous driver drove or maintained it. Perhaps you could get a maintenance report from Ford if it was maintained at a dealership. I would also recommend doing a search on this forum for issues related to the timing chain on the sport engine, turbos and lastly the internal water pump.

Thank you for the reply!

Can you see the carfax by going through the dealer website link?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=80497&modelCode1=EXPLOR&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=80497&showcaseOwnerId=69503571&startYear=1981&endYear=2017&modelCodeList=EXPLOR&makeCodeList=FORD&modelCode1=EXPLOR&mmt=%5BFORD%5BEXPLOR%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&showcaseListingId=444736214&makeCode1=FORD&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=25&showcaseOwnerId=69503571&showcaseListingId=444736214&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&makeCode1=FORD&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=25&listingId=430504381&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=EXPLOR

There isn't a whole lot to compare it to in terms of a high(er) mileage CPO 2013 explorer. But the advertised price seems fair. How much lower would you try and negotiate? Assuming the car drives well and nothing raises a red flag? Also looks like it's been on the dealer lot for 7 months, and had the battery replaced since it's been on the lot.
Yes no problem. Looks like it has been well looked after and seems to have been serviced by the same dealer. I haven't bough a pre-owned vehicle for 17 years so I'm not really the one to ask about price but I'm sure that other members will be chipping in with their own ideas. Good luck.

Peter

Because I was bored I looked hard at the carfax.

How can they "Ford Certify" a vehicle with no oil changes between 44k and 64k miles? I see other skipped ( or not documented) oil changes in there also.

I believe the "skid plate" in question is actually a plastic air duct. Probably knocked off while exploring Colorado--

Being a Colorado vehicle, I would definitely stick it up on a rack and look underneath for excessive scratches or cuts in the belly and suspension. Possibly the dealer can do this for you?

Good luck. I want one of these also, I hope it turns out to be a good deal.

I personally wouldn't purchase a used car that had been driven about 20k miles per year but that's me. Per the carfax it has had a lot of parts replaced and I agree with a comment above questioning the oil change intervals. I'd suggest doing a cars.com search for Sports within a couple of hundred miles of your location and see how many there are on the market. Then I'd sort those results by miles to get an idea of pricing at various mileages.

I personally wouldn't purchase a used car that had been driven about 20k miles per year but that's me. Per the carfax it has had a lot of parts replaced and I agree with a comment above questioning the oil change intervals. I'd suggest doing a cars.com search for Sports within a couple of hundred miles of your location and see how many there are on the market. Then I'd sort those results by miles to get an idea of pricing at various mileages.

Thanks to everyone so far for their responses.

The oil change intervals did raise a flag. My thought process there is that it's possible some oil changes were done at an indy and not reported (this happened for my Saab. I always got oil changes at recommended intervals but 2-3 of them did not show up on my carfax). Can make sense once the car is out of warranty as dealerships charge more for routine stuff, no? In addition, it is Ford CPO so if there was a major mechanical issue (due to a lack of oil changes) I would have a full year of coverage to find out. And on that note, the powertrain warranty extends to 7 years, 100k miles, so in this case End of October, 2018 (almost 2 years).

Am I valuing the piece of mind (basically saying, I shouldn't get a lemon bc it is CPO, and also even if I did get a lemon I am covered for a bit) too highly? Isn't there less of a chance for major issues w CPO versus non-CPO, regardless of miles (say 50k versus 70k)?

I am definitely going to buy a used car as it makes the most sense to me from a philosophical financial standpoint. So perhaps I have more tolerance for imperfections and miles than most? I also don't put many miles on my vehicles (7-10k per year, depending on trips). And RE the 20k+/year miles, wouldn't that indicate a lot of highway miles? From poking around various enthusiast forums, it seems like not all miles are created equally and that true strain to the engine, components, transmission, etc on a heavy SUV is primarily from the stop/start nature of urban driving

There are several members who have already had brakes and shocks etc. replaced by that mileage figure. Some sooner and some later.

Peter

There are several members who have already had brakes and shocks etc. replaced by that mileage figure. Some sooner and some later.

Peter

Is that to say it's a positive that the rear brake rotors and pads, front brake rotors, and rear shocks were all replaced on this car?

Thanks Peter.

This is the most comparable competitor within 200 miles:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/687370594/overview/

45k miles, CPO, used commercially and veryvery sparse carfax (essentially no service records)

Also white (would much prefer black) and doesn't have the 2nd row bucket seats which I'm a big fan of. $3.5k more expensive, the dealer JUST bought it, and no record of anything repaired/replaced

Yeah, I would hold out for rear buckets also. My wife's has those. In my mind probably the most important road test thing to do is to do a few hard accelerations to be sure it doesn't draw the exhaust fumes back into the cabin. That apparently can't really be successfully repaired in spite of a TSB for it. That would be a deal breaker for me. Unhappily my wife's 2015 has this "feature". Her's is going to be gone before the bumper to bumper expires.
Also be sure about what the CPO warranty covers. There is a recent post here about front wheel bearings not being covered in spite of being listed in the CPO documentation. Frankly that post seemed a little odd and the OP hasn't reported back but it may be worth paying attention to. I thought it was odd as I did have both front wheel bearings replaced under the CPO warranty (with a $100 deductible) on my 2009 Sport Trac a couple of years ago.

T
Also, do people have experience on here with maintenance costs for these once they are higher up in mileage (80k, 100k+, etc)?
80k tranny needed a complete rebuild and torque converter replaced. Input shaft was pitted and seal failed. Also had odd wear pattern and hub was shot. This all on a vehicle on first set of tires. Ford didn't see fit to extend warranty to the first owner

UPDATE: I bought the car for $26k. Sold my Saab for $6k (best dealer offer was $4100) so not too bad out of pocket. Very happy with the purchase. Thanks to all who contributed to my research. May look into things like a tune and a lift (for 4wd trails in CO) once the 12 month CPO warranty is up. But for now, just excited to drive that bad boy around town and to the ski slopes! Tires are Bridgestone Blizzak Mud/Snow (studless, not sure the exact model) with 17k miles on them, so I will need to buy all seasons in a few months and planning to swap on/off each season so I will be a beast in the snow. Looks like Cooper Discoverer SRX will provide what I need for a good value (online $715 after tax/shipping, or $825 at the dealership w balance and mount). Anyone know of a better All Season option that's close in price? Cheers

Back