• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer AC Help Needed

ShadowDepth

Reaction score
City, State
LEAGUE CITY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Recently my 2013 Ford Explorer (2.0 turbocharged 4-cylinder) with 100,000 miles developed a leak in the ac discharge hose. I plan to replace this hose myself (minus going to a shop to have the system discharged) however I'm not sure how much PAG oil to add to the system. When I take off the rock guard under the car it's clear a lot of oil has leaked out. And the hose is covered in UV dye (probably from a can I recently used to recharge the system).

My main question is once I replace the hose, how much PAG oil should I add to the system? I have no idea how much has leaked out. Is there a way for me to figure out how much to add?

Sticker upfront says the system needs 7.3 fl oz of PAG oil, however, I don't know how much is still in the system.

Thanks,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately I am not able to help with your question. I did a 'Search' and there were only 2 other posts that mentioned PAG oil and neither mentioned any amount.

Peter

I don't know how much is still in the system.

And that is the problem. Since neither you nor anyone else knows how much oil was lost, neither you nor anyone else knows how much to put back in.

The ONLY way to actually KNOW is to completely drain and flush the ENTIRE system and start from a zero baseline. Anything other than that is a guess which may be okay... or not.

So, you can guess or you can know. You pick.

Back