• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Brakes

suvguy

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer xlt
A few days ago our 2013 Explorer made a vibrating gripping sound when backing up as the brakes were applied (happened both barckward and forward). The sound and vibration got louder as the Ex was coming to a stop (last 2-3 feet). As the day went on, the vibration and sound disappeared. Now it just sounds like a rubbing sound when the brakes are applied. After driving for a while that sound goes away when braking, but it seems there is still brake pressure on the wheels when the pedal isn't being applied - this is especially noticeable when going down hill - maybe my imagination. This seemed to first happen after the parking brake was applied and released on a steep hill.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems like there is some binding going on but can't be sure. Will be taking back to dealer this week...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to make sure your parking brake is not partially applied.

Thanks for the thought. I applied and released parking brake 2 or 3 times and still feels/sounds the same. Plus, the Ex brakes with no pulling to one side or the other. Appreciate the suggestion!

A few days ago our 2013 Explorer made a vibrating gripping sound when backing up as the brakes were applied (happened both barckward and forward). The sound and vibration got louder as the Ex was coming to a stop (last 2-3 feet). As the day went on, the vibration and sound disappeared. Now it just sounds like a rubbing sound when the brakes are applied. After driving for a while that sound goes away when braking, but it seems there is still brake pressure on the wheels when the pedal isn't being applied - this is especially noticeable when going down hill - maybe my imagination. This seemed to first happen after the parking brake was applied and released on a steep hill.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems like there is some binding going on but can't be sure. Will be taking back to dealer this week...

Hi suvguy,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so a Ford certified tech can take a look. They're in the best position to diagnose your vehicle. Additionally, I can assist by escalating your case to your region's customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Thanks,

Crystal

Hi suvguy,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so a Ford certified tech can take a look. They're in the best position to diagnose your vehicle. Additionally, I can assist by escalating your case to your region's customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Thanks,

Crystal

Will do. I called and made an appointment with the dealership.
Thank you Crystal for your quick response - greatly appreciated!

Will do. I called and made an appointment with the dealership.
Thank you Crystal for your quick response - greatly appreciated!

You're welcome, suvguy! Let us know how things go at the dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Well - seems the brake issue has come back to haunt me on our 2013 Ex XLT. The brakes continued to make an odd rubbing sound occasionally at times during the winter months. Now the wear sensor is chirping with only 20K miles. Seems like there is pressure on the brake pads at times. Has anyone else had problems with their brake pads or calipers?

Well - seems the brake issue has come back to haunt me on our 2013 Ex XLT. The brakes continued to make an odd rubbing sound occasionally at times during the winter months. Now the wear sensor is chirping with only 20K miles. Seems like there is pressure on the brake pads at times. Has anyone else had problems with their brake pads or calipers?

Sounds like you should get this in front of your dealership, suvguy. I'll be happy to step in and do what I can to help as well; just send me the info I listed above in a PM and I'll get to work.

Crystal

Back