• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Engines

Huntpsu1

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Infiniti FX50
I have seen blogs speculating that Ford may be placing the V6 EcoBoost engine in the 2013 models. Does anyone know if this is true, or where I could look to verify this. This could be a decision maker for me to pull the trigger on a purchase. Also, is the 2013 model still expected in early 2012?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen blogs speculating that Ford may be placing the V6 EcoBoost engine in the 2013 models. Does anyone know if this is true, or where I could look to verify this. This could be a decision maker for me to pull the trigger on a purchase. Also, is the 2013 model still expected in early 2012?

Last Ford Fleet presentation I went to a couple of months ago they said point blank it wouldn't happen. Wouldn't produce enough power for the Explorer. They might have found a way around this though.

Not sure how it wouldn't produce enough power for the explorer. It moves the larger, heavier f150, which also has a larger tow capacity, and from what I heard is decently quick.

...and it would produce more power than the current 3.5L. Not to mention they have an ecoboost 4 banger, how wouldn't the ecoboost 6 have enough???!?!? I still can't believe they offer a turbo 4 banger for the explorer, just doesn't make sense. Add on the fact they don't have AWD or 4WD for that engine option, what's the point???

I can't imagine having more power going though the front wheels. The torque steer is already pretty offensive.

I had read an article a month or two back. It went over their plans for the V6 Ecoboost in the Explorer. The Ford engineers state that due to all the tweaking, testing, and optimization needed to put it in the Explorer, their goal is 2015 or 2016. This made sense to me, as their goal is to maximize gas mileage, so they won't just go and slap the Flex or F150 Ecoboost in. While I would love an Ecoboost V6 in my Explorer, the current V6 performs respectably well for what I will be doing in it.

Also the "Police" varient of the Explorer comes with the Lincoln version of the 3.7 not the Turbo Boost 3.5.

Ford needs to get off the stick and build smaller turbo diesel engines (3 liter range) for applications like the Edge and Explorer in the North America market.

Last Ford Fleet presentation I went to a couple of months ago they said point blank it wouldn't happen. Wouldn't produce enough power for the Explorer. They might have found a way around this though.

I take that back, they were talking about the 4cyl Ecoboost. I read too quickly.

I can't imagine having more power going though the front wheels. The torque steer is already pretty offensive.

You hit it on the head. If they offered the ecoboost v6 it would have to be awd only to handle all of that power. There is no front driver on the market with more than 290-300HP.

You hit it on the head. If they offered the ecoboost v6 it would have to be awd only to handle all of that power. There is no front driver on the market with more than 290-300HP.

I actually have a slight case of buyers remorse because I am used to my 07 Ex which was rear. I hope this passes. I wanted 4x4 but settled on the EB so save on fuel. Now I am seeing people with the 4x4 getting the MPG I am getting with the EB (17-22 is what I am ranging reguarly). *sigh*

I actually have a slight case of buyers remorse because I am used to my 07 Ex which was rear. I hope this passes. I wanted 4x4 but settled on the EB so save on fuel. Now I am seeing people with the 4x4 getting the MPG I am getting with the EB (17-22 is what I am ranging reguarly). *sigh*

I wouldn't stress over your decision. You are still going to get much better mileage than the V6. Yes you can drive easy and get great mileage on the highway with the V6, but driving normally the EB will always beat the 6.

I would agree, the torque steer is bad enough already. I checked the FLEX (It IS FWD) specs with and without the EcoBoost. 262Hp and 355hp. The standard Explorer 3.5 appears to be a compromise between these two. I wonder if the Flex has any issues with torque steer. Wheelbase is longer.

I would agree, the torque steer is bad enough already. I checked the FLEX (It IS FWD) specs with and without the EcoBoost. 262Hp and 355hp. The standard Explorer 3.5 appears to be a compromise between these two. I wonder if the Flex has any issues with torque steer. Wheelbase is longer.

Flex with the ecoboost is only available in AWD where did you see a fwd ecoboost?

"This engine serves as the premium option, available only with all-wheel drive"

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ex_ecoboost_review/viewall.html#ixzz1eesCQg70

My Flex with AWD and EcoBoost has some torque steer when you stand on it, but its not bad. Don't have much to compare it to because I don't have any history with FWD vehicles.

I don't know if Ford is putting the 3.5 EcoBoost in the explorer, but they should. I know a few people who won't be replacing their current V8 explorers with the new one because of the lack of V8 (or similar) option and lack of body on frame design. (merited or not)

The EcoBoost V6 will eventually be offered in the Ex its just a matter of development time as was mentioned above.

I don't see torque steer being an issue with the V6 EcoBoost because if you have ever driven the Taurus SHO EcoBoost AWD you will find it doesn't exist.

They need to improve the throttle response programming in our 2011 and 2012 vehicles for sure. When the accelerator is depressed the AWD system is designed to put that power around to all wheels. It's all programming and I think we will see an update on our 11's and 12's soon.

I have driven the PI Utility with the 3.7L Mustang V6 and the police programming is much more aggressive. Shifts points are much higher so the transmission keeps torque for much longer then the retail version. It holds high revs in a lower gear for emergency driving that's typically considered to be somewhat erratic to say the least. The engineers didn't want the transmission always "Hunting" for the highest gear in order to improve fuel economy.

In the Utility when you go WOT from a stand still it sucks you back in the seat and I didn't notice any torque steer.

You may be correct. The point I was making is most of the power will be via the front wheels. I have the AWD Explorer and torque steer is there when you stand on it.

Sorry my misunderstanding. The torque steer should be detected and go away with awd if not it is a simple program away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

I can say that the 2013MY is expected in early 2012, and that the engines available are unchanged – 3.5L V6 and 2.0L EcoBoost. As for the 3.5L EcoBoost, I won’t be able to speculate or comment on future products until an official release. Stay tuned! :)

Cory

Back