2013 Explorer Limited Windshield Wiper Streak Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Limited Windshield Wiper Streak Issues

IT.Dave

Reaction score
City, State
Bonney Lake, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
My wife says that the windshield wipers that come stock on the 2013 do a horrible job either because of their design or the window.

We took it in and the dealer said they have had rough windows and stated they had to sand the glass down or something? Sounded fishy.

We got it back, it seemed a little better but started to do the same thing.

When the windshield wipers wipe, it leaves streaks directly in the line of site of the driver.

Its very irritating being that we live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all of the time.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Did you find a resolution?

Thanks,

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Streaking on glass is caused by wax in most carwashes building up on the glass. I always do my glass with Windex after washing my Ex. This is especially true of automatic carwashes that have the clearcoat protectants and other additives.

You may also just simply have a bad set of wipers.....I've never had any issues with my originals or the ones that had been replaced by the dealership. It is not a design flaw of the wipers or the window. Have you tried just swapping the blades out? There are many different types/styles of blades you can choose from.....

My first set lasted 10,000 miles then replaced under warranty. 2nd set lasted 40,000 before I decided to replace before the snow starts to come. The average life is 1 year on a set of wipers. I'm on my 3rd pair in 3 1/2 years.

With all the dirt and grime they see day in and day out, can't really complain about replacing a $15 set every year.

...When the windshield wipers wipe, it leaves streaks directly in the line of site of the driver...

Hi Dave,

Send me your information in a PM; I'll get this documented and moved up the chain to your regional customer service manager. Please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership in your message.

Thanks!

Crystal

My wife says that the windshield wipers that come stock on the 2013 do a horrible job either because of their design or the window.

We took it in and the dealer said they have had rough windows and stated they had to sand the glass down or something? Sounded fishy.

When the windshield wipers wipe, it leaves streaks directly in the line of site of the driver.

Dave
That's 'normal' Dave. It is usually always in the driver's line of sight while the one on the passenger side always seems to work fine. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

Its very irritating being that we live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all of the time.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Did you find a resolution?

Thanks,

Dave

Yep, Mine too! And in the same location. Never been in a car wash, changed blades and cleaned the glass as well as the rubber on the blades themselves. It is always present when using them and clear as a bell on the passenger side as well as the back window. Nothing is ever repaired to my satisfaction and I have given up trying to get matters addressed as it is useless. :(

Yep, Mine too! And in the same location. Never been in a car wash, changed blades and cleaned the glass as well as the rubber on the blades themselves. It is always present when using them and clear as a bell on the passenger side as well as the back window. Nothing is ever repaired to my satisfaction and I have given up trying to get matters addressed as it is useless. :(

I third this. I noticed it a couple of weeks after I got my 2012 Ex & hit the first rain. I figured it was something on the windshied that would disappear when I washed the car the first time & applied RainEx. I did that & nope, didn't help. Then I figured it would disappear when I put on new wipers. Nope, same thing. It's been 2 years, many hand washes, many wiper blades later & it still happens. It's the most annoying thing about the Ex. I have a ding on the windshield that I might eventually use as an excuse to get the windshield replaced & hope that finally fixes it.

Thank you all for the info. This is awful! We paid a heck of a lot of money for the Limited to have these types of issues. First time we are disappointed with a Ford Purchase. SIGH

Hi Crystal,

Is this a known issue and is there a solution for it?

Hi Dave,

Send me your information in a PM; I'll get this documented and moved up the chain to your regional customer service manager. Please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership in your message.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Hi Dave,

I don't have access to repair histories for our vehicles. Your best resource for repair recommendations is the service manager at your local dealership.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Although I don't have this issue with my Explorer, I did with the Highlanders I had but it was more so in the Winter time. I chalked it up to the windshield possibly changing shape a little due to cold air outside and hot air inside (not including me ;)).
On these vehicles there is no adjustment for the wipers. On some of the older vehicles I had, I could just bend the wiper arm are slightly to produce more downward pressure on the blade

Peter

Back