2013 explorer PTU upgrade to 2018? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer PTU upgrade to 2018?

Slpbishop

Reaction score
City, State
Breese IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer Xlt
I’m new here and I am trying to see how interchangeable the PTU is on these I have a 2013 explorer non turbo non oil cooled ptu currently how crazy would it be to put a oil cooled ptu on they seem to have the same mounting points and same case except for the actual cooler on the outside any help on this would be greatly appreciated I would love to put a 2016+ oil cooled ptu on if it would fit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe that this is the first time I've heard a reference to an oil-cooled PTU. I have read many of the PTU threads here and no one has mentioned that as far as I can recall. The following thread does have posts that talk briefly about coolant lines from the radiator.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe that this is the first time I've heard a reference to an oil-cooled PTU. I have read many of the PTU threads here and no one has mentioned that as far as I can recall. The following thread does have posts that talk briefly about coolant lines from the radiator.

Peter
For some reason when I search for the part I need one of the options is without turbo without oil cooler all the ones i have seen have the water cooler I just assumed maybe that’s what they were taking about it just wan to ge the right part

Just looking for any info as to why a 2018 PTU would not fit my 2013 xlt NA motor

Check this out.

Peter
I see that and I believe it will fit but when I put my vehicle info in it says it does not fit but on the Fitment chart it says it does it says I need part number AT4z-7251-g and I can not figure out why it would not fit looks like it should bolt right on its literary the same motor and trans in the 18 that’s in mine

There are only two real variants of the PTU that matter, water cooled and non water cooled. If you don't have a water cooled unit adding water cooling isn't super easy, and it's usefullness is honestly somewhat dubious. Virtually all Fords use the same pair of PTUs that have had various engineering changes over the years.

Did you have a PTU failure? It doesn't get that hot in IL, What mileage and PTU fluid change interval?

$2K worth of PTU/plumbing/labor/radiator(?) seems like it would pay for a lot of PTU fluid changes?

Did you have a PTU failure? It doesn't get that hot in IL, What mileage and PTU fluid change interval?

$2K worth of PTU/plumbing/labor/radiator(?) seems like it would pay for a lot of PTU fluid changes?
I don't think that the weather really has much to do with it. It is just located in an area of the vehicle that produces a lot of heat.

Peter

If it does go out I would absolutely recommend getting a 2017 and up unit as they engineered out a couple of failure points that aren't entirely down to the fluid issue. Outside of that, I'd spend money making sure you have the under body vent tray thing and insulating the exhaust with header wrap before I'd worry about trying to retrofit a cooled unit on a car that didn't come with one.

There are only two real variants of the PTU that matter, water cooled and non water cooled. If you don't have a water cooled unit adding water cooling isn't super easy, and it's usefullness is honestly somewhat dubious. Virtually all Fords use the same pair of PTUs that have had various engineering changes over the years.
Not really interested in the cooler more in the changes made in 2016 I ordered one without cooler for 16-19 I have a 13 everywhere I look says it won’t fit with exception of a few charts that have my year listed as fitting I see no difference in the ptu other than the few changes made by ford that are supposed to fix things that were wrong with older models I know they still have problems but I can’t justify if you believe it or not spending more on the correct part number for mine that had lots of issues from the factory the newer better model that supposedly does not fit is cheaper and supposed to be a better product we shall see I plan to put it on this weekend

I bought this one cheap and I replaced engine in this one had the dreaded water pump failure and leaked into engine and when I tried to change the fluid in ptu it was burnt and could not get anything out I am driving it now it is getting louder and jerking on take off so I’m goin to replace before major failure and I’m not adding the cooler thought about it but I ordered one without cooler for the newer models as far as labor doing it all my self

If it does go out I would absolutely recommend getting a 2017 and up unit as they engineered out a couple of failure points that aren't entirely down to the fluid issue. Outside of that, I'd spend money making sure you have the under body vent tray thing and insulating the exhaust with header wrap before I'd worry about trying to retrofit a cooled unit on a car that didn't come with one.

This was my thoughts exactly and I decided against the cooler just order the newer model

Not really interested in the cooler more in the changes made in 2016 I ordered one without cooler for 16-19 I have a 13 everywhere I look says it won’t fit with exception of a few charts that have my year listed as fitting I see no difference in the ptu other than the few changes made by ford that are supposed to fix things that were wrong with older models I know they still have problems but I can’t justify if you believe it or not spending more on the correct part number for mine that had lots of issues from the factory the newer better model that supposedly does not fit is cheaper and supposed to be a better product we shall see I plan to put it on this weekend
Physically any 5th gen Explorer or 2009+ Taurus/MKT/MKS/Flex/Police Interceptor/Police Interceptor Utility PTU should bolt up and work fine, all the differences are in location of drains/fills and whether or not it had a temp sensor, which you might have to contend with that if you don't have the sensor and the PTU has a spot for it or vice versa, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

I don't think that the weather really has much to do with it. It is just located in an area of the vehicle that produces a lot of heat.

Peter
If it's passively cooled as the original was, higher ambient temperature should have a direct effect on PTU temperature, even if some heat was radiated from nearby.

I don't recall the equation but it's something about, lifespan is cut in half for every 10C rise in oil temperature, till it approaches breakdown temperature then lifespan tanks faster.

If you have the opportunity to drill in a drain on the bottom of the case that will make it significantly easier to service. There's videos on YouTube showing where to drill. On turbo models the exhaust is right in front of the drain plug its in a terrible spot.

For anyone wondering I got the ptu from the 2018 installed in the 2013 with no problems works great so if your ever needing to replace a earlier model ptu I recommend using one of the newer ones because of the manufacture upgrades between the years they are interchangeable

For anyone wondering I got the ptu from the 2018 installed in the 2013 with no problems works great so if your ever needing to replace a earlier model ptu I recommend using one of the newer ones because of the manufacture upgrades between the years they are interchangeable
There are 2 different models so you have to be careful which one you get. One is for those with an oil cooler and non-turbo. One of them is not a fitment for the Sport.

Peter

There are 2 different models so you have to be careful which one you get. One is for those with an oil cooler and non-turbo. One of them is not a fitment for the Sport.

Peter
But even if you Get the cooled one it literally can be removed and used on non cooled ones or can be converted to the cooled one with some parts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back