2013 Explorer Sport - just got new tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport - just got new tires

croll326

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Dumped the OEM's for a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L Plus this morning. Had good review on tirerack (not many miles though) and a $70 rebate card. Anyone have experience with these tires yet? Thoughts?

Living in SW Pennsylvania with curvy and crappy roads, I would be happy to get 20-30k miles out of these tires. Anything has to be better than OEM right?

I was also considering the Yokohama Prada X and the Firestone Destination ST but nobody had them in stock and one my OEM tires had a slice in it so I didn't want to wait.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have 50K on the factory Michelin Lattitude HPs (18"), with 6/32 tread remaining in mixed driving. The front wheel drive / on-demand AWD system is very, very easy on tires.

We have 50K on the factory Michelin Lattitude HPs (18"), with 6/32 tread remaining in mixed driving. The front wheel drive / on-demand AWD system is very, very easy on tires.

I have the Michelin Latitude HPs on my 2014 XLT. I can almost guarantee you that I will be lucky to get 30,000 miles out of these tires. Where I live, in WV, with the hilly, curvy and pot hole riddled roads, that's the most I have gotten out of any tire.

Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my Nissan have 24,000 miles and are at 6/32 right now. I'll change them out at 4/32, so I may get a couple more thousand out of them, but not even close to 30,000.

Dumped the OEM's for a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L Plus this morning. Had good review on tirerack (not many miles though) and a $70 rebate card. Anyone have experience with these tires yet? Thoughts?

Living in SW Pennsylvania with curvy and crappy roads, I would be happy to get 20-30k miles out of these tires. Anything has to be better than OEM right?

I was also considering the Yokohama Prada X and the Firestone Destination ST but nobody had them in stock and one my OEM tires had a slice in it so I didn't want to wait.

Having seen just a little bit of what the engineers do when they choose a tire for a vehicle I'm a little surprised.

The days of the cheapest tire for OEM is long gone.

Not saying the Hankook 426 model are the top of the line but keep in mind Ford is a big enough customer to specify unique rubber compounds and specs that the retail consumer version might not share.

Can you articulate specifically what the Bridgestones provide that you didn't have before when using the OEM Hankook tire?

Keep in mind what you read in the Tire Rack review section is anecdotal opinion, not engineering test data.

When I look at an OEM Hankook that has say 7000 miles on it, the cross tread is almost gone. It leaves the "rings" around the circumference of the tire but not much else. I know it's probably used for certain reason like comfort and quietness, but to ME it doesn't look like it would provide any grip in snow or evacuate water - even when new.

Back