2013 Explorer Sport literally falling apart! (photos posted) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport literally falling apart! (photos posted)

isellhomes

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Well I am the proud owner of a 2013 Explorer Sport. The truck is a ton of fun and I wouldn't want to drive anything else. I was on the highway yesterday coming home from some last minute shopping. While on the highway I heard something that sounded similar to a flapping. I was getting ready to get off the highway and check it out when I heard a loud thump. Almost like something hitting the windshield or roof.

When I got off the next exit this is what I found! The whole strip of plastic on the column where the windshield is ripped off! I checked the other side and it was very loose. Almost to the point where I can take it off by hand. Has anyone heard of this happening?

I am going at stop at the dealer tomorrow. This should be a warranty item correct?

It seems like the adhesive just gave way and then it is just held on by a few clips.

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen a few other posts about this happening. So it's a common problem.

Unfortunately it's a common issue and is covered under warranty.

Well I am the proud owner of a 2013 Explorer Sport. The truck is a ton of fun and I wouldn't want to drive anything else. I was on the highway yesterday coming home from some last minute shopping. While on the highway I heard something that sounded similar to a flapping. I was getting ready to get off the highway and check it out when I heard a loud thump. Almost like something hitting the windshield or roof.

When I got off the next exit this is what I found! The whole strip of plastic on the column where the windshield is ripped off! I checked the other side and it was very loose. Almost to the point where I can take it off by hand. Has anyone heard of this happening?

I am going at stop at the dealer tomorrow. This should be a warranty item correct?

It seems like the adhesive just gave way and then it is just held on by a few clips.
Welcome to the Forum isellhomes.:wavey:
You may want to check out the following 2 threads posted by the same member;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396282

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398338

This should be covered under your warranty. Should you wish to contact Crystal or Ashley (FordService) you can use the link I provided in my PM to you.
Good luck.:thumbsup:

Peter

Hey, make sure you went back for the piece that came off if you didn't already. Someone here (search for the thread) didn't have the piece and was refused warranty because of it.

Better be safe than sorry

Good dealer support today. They looked at it and said it was definitely covered under warranty. They said the Driver's side was loose and was not safe so they removed that one too. They ordered two new ones and said they would call to setup the install when they come in. Thanks for the help Crystal.

Wow talk about Night and Day. Glad you were able to get relief compared to what Skripo was going thru!

Wow talk about Night and Day. Glad you were able to get relief compared to what Skripo was going thru!

Goes to show, sometimes the dealers say in the nicest way that they are doing all they can to help. But, behind the scenes all they are trying to do it screw u over to they can make a buck. AFAIK dealers dont make as much on warranty items as they make on actual repairs and parts.

I've dealt with such dealers. Maybe Skripo needs to find another dealer.

It may be against the rules but the tactic i used is I got my car in April and last week did an oil change at the dealer. For the good job they did and holidays i delivered a cake and a few bottles of wine for the staff there - now they know me and in theory will take care of my ex. Wine = $60, cake = $20, Total investment $80 in future savings on headaches and dealer runaround and i dont have to deal with the front office.

Goes to show, sometimes the dealers say in the nicest way that they are doing all they can to help. But, behind the scenes all they are trying to do it screw u over to they can make a buck. AFAIK dealers dont make as much on warranty items as they make on actual repairs and parts.

I've dealt with such dealers. Maybe Skripo needs to find another dealer. ....................
If you read Skripo's original post in his other thread you will see that according to him it wasn't a dealer issue. Apparently Ford denied the warranty work.

Peter

A perfect example of FoNA and FoC differences in Customer Service.

A perfect example of FoNA and FoC differences in Customer Service.

Maybe

But, there is this Blue Oval on both that says "Ford"

Most consumers do not notice a difference and there is no reason for them to notice a difference. They either trust the company with the blue oval or they do not.

I have owned a mustang, f-150, Mercury mountaineer, and now have an explorer on order. I have trusted ford and hope it does not change.

Do you think Coke or IBM would let people start questioning the value of their brand for $100 of stuff?

Maybe

But, there is this Blue Oval on both that says "Ford"

Most consumers do not notice a difference and there is no reason for them to notice a difference. They either trust the company with the blue oval or they do not.

I have owned a mustang, f-150, Mercury mountaineer, and now have an explorer on order. I have trusted ford and hope it does not change.

Do you think Coke or IBM would let people start questioning the value of their brand for $100 of stuff?

Not quite sure what you are getting at in referencing my post. As I stated, it seems Ford of Canada gives customers a much more difficult time when it comes to warranty repairs. I'm not making excuses for it as I think it is completely wrong. This is just a clear example of it. When the part is $50 at dealer cost and Ford's cost is at least half that, you are talking about pissing off a customer over $25 (and that's the high side).

Hell I had 102,000 miles on my F250 when it needed a new thermostat and Ford paid 1/2 of the repairs for me. My complaint was that my esp ended about 2 weeks prior and I wasn't mad or demanding, I simply asked if Ford would cover it. They agreed to 50% which I gladly accepted. They had absolutely no responsibility to pay for a repair on a vehicle that had that kind of mileage.

This is why I buy Ford, they've always taken good care of me. Even seeing these types of threads, it doesn't sway me as I go on my experience and not others.

Not quite sure what you are getting at in referencing my post. As I stated, it seems Ford of Canada gives customers a much more difficult time when it comes to warranty repairs. I'm not making excuses for it as I think it is completely wrong. This is just a clear example of it. When the part is $50 at dealer cost and Ford's cost is at least half that, you are talking about pissing off a customer over $25 (and that's the high side).

Hell I had 102,000 miles on my F250 when it needed a new thermostat and Ford paid 1/2 of the repairs for me. My complaint was that my esp ended about 2 weeks prior and I wasn't mad or demanding, I simply asked if Ford would cover it. They agreed to 50% which I gladly accepted. They had absolutely no responsibility to pay for a repair on a vehicle that had that kind of mileage.

This is why I buy Ford, they've always taken good care of me. Even seeing these types of threads, it doesn't sway me as I go on my experience and not others.

Sorry not trying to argue with you

legally canadian and american companies are two separate entities.

But there is only one blue oval company with Ford on it. Either they build good products that they stand behind or they do not - simple really

my bet is that the approach to ford was completely different between the two

not sure about coke - but ibm? yes i do

lots of people carp about ibm - it has not harmed them

ibm will fire any employee that bad mouths their competition - ibm will do the right thing for its customers but if a customer is irrational about their demands, they will move on

The dealership can still take care of the issue, regardless of Ford's warranty refusal. The dealership needs individual customers more than Ford. I'm glad I have a dealership that understands that. The way I look at it is the dealership is who I'm sitting in front of talking to and unless I get face to face contact with the person making the warranty decision, the person in front of me is going to take care of the situation or the two of us will never do business again. So, the dealership has the option of making a decision or put me in direct, face to face contact with someone who does. I don't play the "woe is me, the middle man" game.

But there is only one blue oval company with Ford on it. Either they build good products that they stand behind or they do not - simple really

Completely agree!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good dealer support today. They looked at it and said it was definitely covered under warranty. They said the Driver's side was loose and was not safe so they removed that one too. They ordered two new ones and said they would call to setup the install when they come in. Thanks for the help Crystal.

You're welcome, isellhomes; I'm glad I was able to assist. If you need anything in the future, you know how to reach me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back