• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport - Rust!

DJN

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport
Was basically told by Dealer to make an appointment, bring it in and rent a car at my expense while the body shop finishes the repair.

This is a relatively new SUV with 20K miles on the clock.

Is this a common problem?

IMG_3157_zpsx8bkni3t.jpg

IMG_3156_zpsqtbfrksg.jpg

IMG_3155_zpscc6oys2i.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry about the issue you are having.

Yes. There is a known issue with the paint along the edge of the hood cracking and bubbling up. I have it along my hood too.

Yes, common problem, mine has it as well on my 2011 with 80k but it is under the hood bear the gasket so I don't see it unless I peel it away. It isn't rust as the hood is aluminum and aluminum doesn't rust.

To be clear - this is on the hood? If so, it's not rust as the hood is aluminum.

As noted, others have had the issue as well. Sounds like the dealer will be fixing it.

Dealers are not required to provide rental cars, though some will.

Interesting....my 2013 has the same issue. I thought it was rust too, but apparently not!

Yes, mine too. Ford knows it's an issue and will do exactly as you described, make you cover costs of rental etc.
Mine is so bad the entire hood had to be replaced, body shop said they can't re-paint it due to the amount of corrosion. Welcome to Ford!

Steel rusts. Aluminum corrodes.

Two theories at play here. The aluminum hood is not properly anodized, which helps prevent corrosion.

Or, per my body shop, bad primer and not fully painting under the lip where water gets in. On my 2011 there was only one base coat of primer or paint under the lip. Hard to tell which as the paint/primer under the lip on my 2011 was close in color to the white body. However, it was not layered primer/paint/clear like the top of the hood.

Under the lip is where it seems to start - at least for me. Makes sense since just one coat of paint or primer on my 2011 under there.

To the OP, check under the hood and see how bad it is under the lip where you see the corrosion on the top of the lip.

Curious if it is worse underneath, or if it appears to have started on the top for you.

I just had mine fixed for $500 out of pocket as I am out of warranty (still only have 34k miles) and Ford picked up the rest as "good will". Still not please as I see this a manufacturing defect.

I demanded a new hood in case it was an anodizing issue and the entire underside of the new hood now is protected like the top with primer/paint/clear as opposed to the original one coat of paint or primer underneath.

Anybody getting this repair should request a new hood and the underside of the hood painted like the top.

I have the EXACT same problem! I only have 16k miles and I personally detail (clay, polish, wax, seal) my sport every 6 months and maintenance wax every month...its not even my daily driver! I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow and they said their first step is to bring it in to their service department so that they can take PHOTOS, I assume to get the "go ahead" from their warranty department?...:mad: I will update you after tomorrow

Was basically told by Dealer to make an appointment, bring it in and rent a car at my expense while the body shop finishes the repair.

This is a relatively new SUV with 20K miles on the clock.

IMG_3157_zpsx8bkni3t.jpg

IMG_3156_zpsqtbfrksg.jpg

IMG_3155_zpscc6oys2i.jpg

I think this is the newest explorer/less mileage case I have seen with such a horrible paint bubble/corrosion issue. mine is a 2011 with 63,000 is no where close as bad. I guess the whole theory about winter climates causing this is not valid since the OP is out of Florida.

please post your pictures in the main thread about this issue a few threads below

2012 Ford Explorer rust on liftgate

Hi all,

I am new. To this, but hope I am in the right place. I bought my 2012 explorer in February 2012 and am now seeing rust to the right of the liftgate and just below the silver molding. Also, just above the silver molding (on another panel) is another rust spot.

I talked to the local dealership, but said it was not covered under the 5 year rust/corrosion warranty because there is no perforation and not under the 3yr/36k General warranty because it has 59k miles. I have called the 800 number for ford and am supposed to hear from a team lead but nothing so far.

However, I think it is ridiculous that a 3 year old vehicle is showing such signs of rust. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you!

Exactly as you stated, 3yr/36k on paint/rust issues unless it makes a hole.

Not much you can do unless Ford covers it but at 59k, I seriously doubt it.

Pity the poor people that are running out to buy the new F150 aluminum body truck. Imagine the issues with this body if Ford doesn't get this under control.

If its any consolation, I have the same issue with by 2012, and the dealer wouldn't do anything since I was over 36K. My thoughts are that this should be covered regardless of the mileage since this is not a mileage related issue.

Hi all,

I am new. To this, but hope I am in the right place. I bought my 2012 explorer in February 2012 and am now seeing rust to the right of the liftgate and just below the silver molding. Also, just above the silver molding (on another panel) is another rust spot.

I talked to the local dealership, but said it was not covered under the 5 year rust/corrosion warranty because there is no perforation and not under the 3yr/36k General warranty because it has 59k miles. I have called the 800 number for ford and am supposed to hear from a team lead but nothing so far.

However, I think it is ridiculous that a 3 year old vehicle is showing such signs of rust. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you!

Like it says in the article Rick attached....keep pushing up through the Ford Customer Service Regional Managers.

Your absolutely correct this shouldn't happen to a 3 year old vehicle that has newer paint processes applied especially with the Chicago Assembly Plant corrosion dunk tank the body goes through before paint.

So I turned in my Ex on Monday and got it back yesterday (Thursday). Hood looks good, it was painted by an outside source. At first, FORD wouldn't give me a loaner or rental car but after pleading my case (that my ex is being serviced due to a manufacturing defect and that it wasn't my fault) they broke down and gave me a free car rental via Enterprise. The auto body shop painted the entire hood and under the hood lip area. I doesn't look like they painted the ENTIRE underhood. I will keep an eye on this until my 3yr/36k warranty expires. Sorry, im not an elite member (yet) so I cant post pics..ive tried via photobucket but it doesn't show up for me..

And BTW, they did their complimentary "multi-point inspection" and discovered I had HID headlights and LED fogs but didn't say anything negative about it...the positive terminal of the battery was leaking so they replaced the entire battery for free..they didn't try to say that "Oh, your aftermarket HID was the fault" and not replace it..

Back