• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport

SilverBack14

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport 4WD
I currently own a 2011 Explorer Limited. Had it for 2 years and 27,500 miles. Love this truck BUT need more power so I ordered a Sport.

Very excited to get it and see/feel all the differences!

Issues with 2011 Limited:
* A-pillar noise: repaired, 1 visit
* Radiator fan recall: repaired, 1 visit
* MFT updates: done myself & by dealer, 1 visit

I like everything about this ride but it's time for a change. Details to follow...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently own a 2011 Explorer Limited. Had it for 2 years and 27,500 miles. Love this truck BUT need more power so I ordered a Sport.

Very excited to get it and see/feel all the differences!

Issues with 2011 Limited:
* A-pillar noise: repaired, 1 visit
* Radiator fan recall: repaired, 1 visit
* MFT updates: done myself & by dealer, 1 visit

I like everything about this ride but it's time for a change. Details to follow...
Would that be a 2014 Sport you ordered?

Peter

I currently own a 2011 Explorer Limited. Had it for 2 years and 27,500 miles. Love this truck BUT need more power so I ordered a Sport...

Congratulations on ordering, SilverBack14! I responded to your PM; I'll be happy to continue giving you updates on your Explorer's status. :)

Crystal

Got my truck yesterday and it is awesome!

Compared with the Limited this is a F1 car.

I loved most things about the Explorer except for the weak acceleration and now it's fixed!

Pics coming!

Got a stone chip in my windshield at 450 miles. What a bummer... Will be replacing it soon. Can't have a glaring flaw this early.

Got the 1st oil change done @ 500 miles. Will be changing again at 5k intervals.

Have the splash guards but have not yet installed.

Going from Tuxedo Black to White Platinum has been a big change! I love the look & it appears cleaner longer too.

Love this truck.

Congratulations, im only at 67 miles haha, but you said it perfectly, its like going to an F1 race car compared to the normal Explorers (that I love by the way). But this is just a blast to drive. I cant wait for a longer trip to enjoy her more.

Silverback14, which size engine did you have in your limited?

The 3.5-liter V6. It was weak, unresponsive & loud.
That's weird. Haven't noticed any of that with mine. I find it quite responsive and very quiet.

Peter

That is what I felt about it when we test drove one to the T..It couldn't get out of it's own way.. I will however state that I am up around 5Kft of elevation but still, it seemed buzzy, gutless and :yawn:

Sport is totally different and the TT's help up here in the clouds..

Thats a first, I drive both a '13 Sport and '13 Limited and while the Sport is certainly different in terms of handling and responsiveness i would never say the Limited is sluggish, weak, unresponsive. Fact is, i enjoy driving the Limited more (maybe because its mine). Really they are both agile and with great handling - perhaps u had a dud? :burnout:

Having owned personally a 2011 and a 2013 Explorer before buying my Sport just now. I personally liked both of them and felt they had plenty of power. Now I would never recommend anyone buy a 2.0L eco because that just flat out sucks, but the normal 3.5L is just fine. Now I love love love the power I have now and in comparison yes the non turbo is a dog and a "boring" engine. But I loved it and had plenty of fun in them from the mountains going to the Outer Banks every year or just normal driving. But I cant lie, the Sport Is amazing and a absolute blast to drive.

That's weird. Haven't noticed any of that with mine. I find it quite responsive and very quiet.

Peter

Peter you need to drive a Sport to see what they are talking about.

I drove the Sport for only 10 days and that power is addictive, every time I see one I want one now.

Totally different driving experience from Limited or XTL V6 3.5L Naturally Aspirated.

Maybe silverback was sarcastic or tongue in cheek with his comment ?!?
at least that's the way I took it..
cuz everything is relative :)

Yup everything is relative. Need to drive all of them to have a true comparison, and you need to at least understand everyone's perspectives. To some the 3.5 N/A is a great peppy motor if you're used to 4 cylinders or small v6's. To others even the TT 3.5 is a bit of a slouch if you're coming from V8's and forced induction V8s. It's all relative, what one feels "fast" to one may feel "slow" to another, but it is pretty clear from the reviews that the sport does have a noticible difference in the seat of the pants dyno, so it's a good thing that at least if you do want to go for the sport, you will notice a difference, whether you think it's fast, or too fast, or not fast enough is a different story.

Peter you need to drive a Sport to see what they are talking about.

I drove the Sport for only 10 days and that power is addictive, every time I see one I want one now.

Totally different driving experience from Limited or XTL V6 3.5L Naturally Aspirated.
I have no doubt that the extra 75 horses and the Ecoboost system would make quite a difference in the Sport and that in comparison to it the 3.5 it would make the V6 much seem slower.
I and some others are just saying, that for us, driving the Explorer with the 3.5 N/A engine we do not find it weak, unresponsive & loud. I think those that do, have an unrealistic expectation of the engine's capability in this large vehicle. Rather than putting down the 3.5L V6, I think there would have been a lot less controversy if it was just stated that the Ecoboost engine was stronger and more responsive.
If I get back into an Explorer when my lease is up in 2 years, I definitely want to check out the Sport and hope they have more that 1 colour choice for the interior. :thumbsup:

Peter

I have no doubt that the extra 75 horses and the Ecoboost system would make quite a difference in the Sport and that in comparison to it the 3.5 it would make the V6 much seem slower.
I and some others are just saying, that for us, driving the Explorer with the 3.5 N/A engine we do not find it weak, unresponsive & loud. I think those that do, have an unrealistic expectation of the engine's capability in this large vehicle. Rather than putting down the 3.5L V6, I think there would have been a lot less controversy if it was just stated that the Ecoboost engine was stronger and more responsive.
If I get back into an Explorer when my lease is up in 2 years, I definitely want to check out the Sport and hope they have more that 1 colour choice for the interior. :thumbsup:

Peter

Even though I have a Sport, I agree. The 3.5 is perfectly capable without any turbos.

Now if you think otherwise, heaven forbid you to drive a 2.0 - it's TORTURE!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back