Elk Grove Village, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
It Probably saved my family's life
On fathers day
we where going 55
guy blows a stop sign going 80
I have a broken back (L1 crushed)
My wife shattered cheek bone, multiple bruises, ( it is going to be a long recovery)
My 2 kids, bumps and bruises only, thank god

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On fathers day
we where going 55
My wife shattered cheek bone, multiple bruises, ( it is going to be a long recovery)
My 2 kids, bumps and bruises only, thank God
Welcome to the Forum Momtank.:wavey:
Glad to know that everyone is still with us. I want to send along my wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Peter

glad your gonna be ok, did you have the bliss package?

Montank, sorry to hear about this. You don't live too far away from me. I'm in Arlington Heights. Hope everyone is 110% ASAP. God's speed.

glad your gonna be ok, did you have the bliss package?
BLIS will only work if a vehicle is coming up from behind and beside you. Nothing we have on the Explorer will prevent or warn that you about to be 'T boned' from the side except the integrity of the vehicle body.

Peter

On fathers day
we where going 55
My 2 kids, bumps and bruises only, thank god

I'm glad you all made it out ... best wishes on a speedy recovery.
Interested in the pics of the aftermath . . . what happened to the guy that blew the sign?

did you have the bliss package?

Don't see how BLIS could have helped in this situation. Plus, 80 MPH is just over 117 ft/sec. Pretty hard to see that coming and prepare/avoid.

BLIS will only work if a vehicle is coming up from behind and beside you. Nothing we have on the Explorer will prevent or warn that you about to be 'T boned' from the side except the integrity of the vehicle body.

Peter

I wonder if the question was about the 2nd row airbag seat belts that come along with BLIS when you order?

I'd be curious if these 2nd row airbag seat belts help or even deployed.

I wonder if the question was about the 2nd row airbag seat belts that come along with BLIS when you order?

I'd be curious if these 2nd row airbag seat belts help or even deployed.
I believe the inflatable seat belt is an option onto itself. I have BLIS but no inflatable belts. It would make more sense if they were tied into the Collision Warning system but I'm not sure if they are or if they operate just like regular airbags

Peter

holy crrrap.

If you got T-boned and the guy was really going 80, you are lucky - though it may not feel that way with a busted back. What was he driving?

Good luck for a full recovery.

I believe the inflatable seat belt is an option onto itself. I have BLIS but no inflatable belts.

In US rear inflatables are part of the BLIS package. I wanted bliss, but didn't want inflatable seat belts, I got stuck w/ them anyway

I believe the inflatable seat belt is an option onto itself. I have BLIS but no inflatable belts. It would make more sense if they were tied into the Collision Warning system but I'm not sure if they are or if they operate just like regular airbags

Peter

For 2011 they were seperate options. Beginning with the 2012's the BLIS and Inflatable Belts were grouped together in the same package.

Lucky indeed. Take care.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery! T-boned @ 80 / 55 is no joke. Glad to hear the Explorer held up. Good luck, Buddie!

Having been to a fair share of vehicle collisions I know those speeds and circumstances don't usually have such a "happy" ending - glad everyone in your car survived! I'm also looking forward to hearing if the inflatable rear belts were involved!

Traditional front airbags will deploy only with frontal collisions.
Given that the seat belts are frontal only, I would bet they only deploy with frontal crashes.

I wish you and your family a speedy recovery.... sounds like the Explorer can really take a hit, 80mph wow! Sounds like God was with you and your family, cars can always be replaced.

Traditional front airbags will deploy only with frontal collisions.
Given that the seat belts are frontal only, I would bet they only deploy with frontal crashes.

True but these are not traditional air bags.. It's not like the fronts have the airbag in the seat. I could see it both ways.. I'd expect the seat belt airbags to deploy if the side impact bags deploy.

Very curious on this answer from the OP.

Beginning with the 2012's the BLIS and Inflatable Belts were grouped together in the same package.

Not in Canada they weren't....I have BLIS in my 2012 Limited and the inflatable belts were still an option (which I chose not to get).....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch... So happy to hear the kiddos are ok and you too of course. I have a 17 month old son and a daughter due in less than a month. I can ramble on and on about how paranoid I am of a car crash and my precious cargo ever getting injured, it's all I ever think about when going somewhere. It was a major plus that the Explorer is a Top Safety Pick. About 8 months ago I totaled my wife's MDX because of a drunk driver, thankfully my family was not with me. Accidents are no fun...
Anyways, post pics if you can and give us the juicy details!

Back