2013 explorer whistle noise coming from engine bay. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer whistle noise coming from engine bay.

davlee88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 2wd
Has anyone notice whistle noise coming from the engine bay from the Explorer?

I"m taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning. Just wondering? It sounds like a bird living in my car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

turbo spool? :D..

After you shut it off? Mine does the same thing. It also does it after turning on the key but not starting. My guess is some sort of pump. Do you have really good hearing? It's a really high pitch.

It only occur when the engine is running. I know the noise you are talking about and thats not it. Its not like a fuel pump whine. Its a really high pitch sounds like air is leaking. I can hear it really loud coming from front right wheel well.

After you shut it off? Mine does the same thing. It also does it after turning on the key but not starting. My guess is some sort of pump. Do you have really good hearing? It's a really high pitch.

Has anyone notice whistle noise coming from the engine bay from the Explorer?

I"m taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning...
I wanted to check in to see if the dealer found the source of the noise, davlee88. I have your VIN from previous messages, so drop a line via PM for me to lend a hand (please include your current mileage).

...Mine does the same thing...
I recommend scheduling an appointment with the dealer, nnichols. I’m available to help by forwarding the info to your regional Customer Service Manager. For me to do this, please send a PM with your contact information, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Cory

thanks, Cory. I took it in to the dealesrship 7:30 in the morning. Sure enough the noise didnt occur. Anyway, I took the car back to work. Once I came back home from work, the noise reappear again. I'll try to bring it back to the dealer next week.

I wanted to check in to see if the dealer found the source of the noise, davlee88. I have your VIN from previous messages, so drop a line via PM for me to lend a hand (please include your current mileage).

I recommend scheduling an appointment with the dealer, nnichols. I’m available to help by forwarding the info to your regional Customer Service Manager. For me to do this, please send a PM with your contact information, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Cory

thanks, Cory. I took it in to the dealesrship 7:30 in the morning. Sure enough the noise didnt occur. Anyway, I took the car back to work. Once I came back home from work, the noise reappear again. I'll try to bring it back to the dealer next week.
You’re welcome, davlee88; I appreciate the update on the “phantom noise” ;). Please keep me in the loop.

Cory

I have the same thing. Shut the car off, and then its a high pitched noise for about 5 mins. I'm taking my car in this week to see what is going on. It does seem semi-random, so I am sure it won't do it when I take it in.

About the whistle

Did anyone ever figure out the whistling noise coming from the engine compartment or under the car especially at idle?

I noticed a whistling noise today too. I turned off the radio and was trying to locate where it was coming from. I have a 2013 Limited with about 700 miles.

Does your vehicle have a type of air control system for the suspension? I know I am grasping at staws but I have seen repair manuals mention this. Hope it helps just a thought.

anybody know what this is yet? seems pretty common doing some searching. Is there a TSB for this yet? Our 2013 sport is doing it whenever it's in accessory mode.

Had this air whistle sound once in a vehicle. It was coming from a leaking gas cap that was releasing air from the pressure in the gas tank emissions system. Although your leak sound seems to come from up under the hood, Just for fun open the gas fill and see if this stops the whistle, (releases pressure) which may be from a leak what sounds to me like a emission system of sorts........best regards Plum

these are capless tanks.

and it happens when accessory mode is on only. Nothing to do with the fuel tank, or any mechanical system.

I asked at the dealer yesterday if there was a TSB they never heard of it before. I went on the lot and picked another 2013 explorer (non-ecoboost) and it made the same obnoxious whining/ringing noise with accessory mode on as my ecoboost model, so it's not engine specific. It's something with the electronics on any explorer that make that high pitch whine/ring noise. It's really obnoxious!

...I asked at the dealer yesterday if there was a TSB they never heard of it before...

Hi Harley#356,

Did your dealership perform an inspection during your visit? I can see how I can assist by looking into this further. Shoot me a PM with your information and I'll get started. Please include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Hi Harley#356,

Did your dealership perform an inspection during your visit? I can see how I can assist by looking into this further. Shoot me a PM with your information and I'll get started. Please include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

The dealer we bought it from was an hour and a half away, and when we went back to pick our tags up I brought it up to them, and one of the guys came out to hear it, he said he could hear the annoying ring/whine sound, but never heard of it before. We went on the lot and another new one made the same exact noise. So it seems normal since other ones were doing it, but certainly doesn't sound like it should be normal. But they said i'd have to wait for a few hours before they could get it in to look at it further and being 90 mins away we couldn't wait around, so may ask the local dealer to look at it when I get some free time.

...But they said i'd have to wait for a few hours before they could get it in to look at it further and being 90 mins away we couldn't wait around, so may ask the local dealer to look at it when I get some free time.

Sounds good, Harley#356. Just shoot me a message if you'd like me to step in. :D

Crystal

Back