• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer XLT AC issues

Rogue.McRae

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Last week I was driving back from NY to VA. Driving down the highway my "device charging system" light came on. A few miles down the road my AC went out. Then as I got closer to an autozone my power steering went. As soon as that happened I knew something was wrong with my serpentine belt.

Once we stopped I opened the hood and as suspected the belt was shredded. Bought a new belt, replaced and and drove 10 miles to my brothers place. Power steering came back and the light went off. However, still no AC. So there was green oil/fluid all over when I replaced the serpentine belt. My coolant isn't that color so I was confused at first. After researching I saw that it was for the AC system. So went back under the hood, followed all the lines from the AC compressor. I found a huge slice in the AC suction line (the smaller one?). I got the new line/house from Oriellys when I got back home. Replaced the line and got one of the AC recharge kits.

Replaced it. Thought I was good to go. Two days later the AC is no longer cold again and I still have the green fluid leaking from somewhere on the compressor. I can't pin point it. A buddy has a detector of some sort that detects freon leaks. It went off like crazy.

There is also a hissing sound now once we turn off the car. It last about 20 seconds.

Any ideas on what could have happened when the serpentine belt broke?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last week I was driving back from NY to VA. Driving down the highway my "device charging system" light came on. A few miles down the road my AC went out. Then as I got closer to an autozone my power steering went. As soon as that happened I knew something was wrong with my serpentine belt.

Once we stopped I opened the hood and as suspected the belt was shredded. Bought a new belt, replaced and and drove 10 miles to my brothers place. Power steering came back and the light went off. However, still no AC. So there was green oil/fluid all over when I replaced the serpentine belt. My coolant isn't that color so I was confused at first. After researching I saw that it was for the AC system. So went back under the hood, followed all the lines from the AC compressor. I found a huge slice in the AC suction line (the smaller one?). I got the new line/house from Oriellys when I got back home. Replaced the line and got one of the AC recharge kits.

Replaced it. Thought I was good to go. Two days later the AC is no longer cold again and I still have the green fluid leaking from somewhere on the compressor. I can't pin point it. A buddy has a detector of some sort that detects freon leaks. It went off like crazy.

There is also a hissing sound now once we turn off the car. It last about 20 seconds.

Any ideas on what could have happened when the serpentine belt broke?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing the hissing sound may be coming from the compressor which would indicate there is another leak which you have confirmed. Sorry I can't be more definitive.
Also, please add the trim level of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

I did lay underneath and had my wife turn off the car after it had been running and blowing the ac. The hissing wasn't coming from the compressor. Or at least it didn't sound like it was. I was sounding more towards the upper firewall on the passenger side.

Hissing sound could be normal. Could just be the low pressure and high pressure side equalizing.

Don't see you mention a vacuum pump or putting a/c gauges on the system, which you need to do.

You need to evac the system of all moisture that could have entered the lines and then make sure that vacuum holds for 30-60 minutes. If it doesn't you have a leak.

Yeah I don't have a vacuum. The only gauge I have is the one that came with the recharge kit. So I'd have to take it into a place to get it done. I appreciate the good information.

Back