2013 Explorer XLT, intermittent no crank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer XLT, intermittent no crank

teamroper60

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Hi everyone! New guy here. I am having an intermittent problem with my Explorer not starting (no crank, no clicking). I can turn the key and get nothing and then at some point, it starts like there is no problem at all. The past couple of days, it has taken a lot of tries to get it to start. When it finally decides to crank, it starts right up. Tonight, I was able to replicate the issue by wiggling the key. I noticed the lock cylinder has quite a bit of play in it and turning the key moved it down and to the right. If I pushed up slightly, the car starts right up.. So after that lengthy description, is there anyway to tighten up the cylinder? Should it be replaced? Or do the experts think this is just another symptom of a different issue?

Thanks!

Update: I went by my dealer today and talked to a tech about it. He said there is not adjustment in that assembly and thinks its either the cylinder or the housing. So I am gonna see if I can get to it to determine which one needs replaced.

Back