2013 Explorer XLT Radio Configuration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer XLT Radio Configuration

LMan09

Reaction score
City, State
Longview, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hey all!

I am installing a AudioControl LCQ-1 signal processor, aftermarket amp and aftermarket speakers on my stock, non-Sony head unit. From the information I could gather, the stock head unit has a 5 channel output. 1 - Center Speaker, 2 - Front Speakers/tweeters, 2 - Rear Speakers/3rd row, with 9 total speakers. The processor has a front, rear and sub input. I don't want to lose the Center Channel in the mix. Any ideas for the hook-up?
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I think there are several ways you can do it - I believe you are going to want a SP/DSP with enough inputs to handle your outputs or you will need a SP/DSP that will process the front center channel for you or at least allow you to "create it" from the front R&L.

I don't believe the AudioControl LCQ-1 signal processor can do either.

I think some have just bridged the front R-L and added a L-pad for volume adjustment - not ideal, but people do less than ideal stuff all the time.

I would personally just get rid of the center and look at tweaking the speaker placement a bit and see how it sounds without it.

Did you talk to any local shops and see if they had any recommendations before buying equipment or are you trying to work with equipment you already have?

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me...

Did you talk to any local shops and see if they had any recommendations before buying equipment or are you trying to work with equipment you already have?

Thanks, KayGee - I already have the equipment and cannot invest in more at this time. I would like to keep the center channel if possible. Just can't see no other options and I'm terribly disappointed about it. There has to be more options for this configuration.

The AudioControl LCQ-1 you have seems similar to what I had back in the early 2000s system in my Mustang. I still have mine in a box in the basement, but don't recall which SP/EQ it was off the top of my head, but it was also only FR/RR/Sub capable.

The only other thing I can think of would be to just drop a separate line output converter on your center channel so you can run it to a separate amp and keep it, but can't say how that will effect your soundstage or what extras you will want/need to tune it depending on what you want out of your system.

The AudioControl LCQ-1 you have seems similar to what I had back in the early 2000s system in my Mustang. I still have mine in a box in the basement, but don't recall which SP/EQ it was off the top of my head, but it was also only FR/RR/Sub capable.

The only other thing I can think of would be to just drop a separate line output converter on your center channel so you can run it to a separate amp and keep it, but can't say how that will effect your soundstage or what extras you will want/need to tune it depending on what you want out of your system.

I think that's actually a good idea. As you've mentioned, i'm not sure I can get it to work as I would hope. But, it could be a plan B/C!

Back