2013 Explorer XLT Strange Dragging Sound From Front End | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer XLT Strange Dragging Sound From Front End

jmsculley

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree Corners
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hello All.

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT 6 cyl with towing package. About three weeks ago I took it to the dealer to get the water pump replaced (bad seal) and one catalytic converter replaced along with oil change and tire rotation. Within a couple of days of getting it back, I noticed a strange dragging sound when coming up to a stop light on a straight stretch of road. It sounded much like I had run over a branch or a plastic bucket and was dragging it. I turned left into a parking lot, and it was no longer making the sound. I checked under the car, but there was no sign of anything.

Over the next two weeks, it would frequently make this sound. Always when coming to a stop at a light or stop sign or just slowing down, but not at every time. I could take a trip to the store and have it happen zero times, and a couple hours later take a trip and have it happen nearly every time. The sound has happened with and without the brake applied, as long as the car is slowing toward a stop. Sometimes, the noise stops when I take my foot off the brake to coast toward a stop, and sometimes it doesn't stop until the car comes to a complete stop with the brake applied. Flat roads uphill, downhill it has happened on all of them. It has never made the sound when starting from a stop or when idling. It never made this sound prior to this most recent trip to the dealer.

The brakes don't seem to be dragging, and otherwise the car drives exactly as it did before the recent repairs. Last week I drove it in the Georgia mountains and had zero issues, except for the frequent dragging sound and my mileage was the usual 18+ or so. The sound is loud enough to be heard with the windows closed and A/C running or with the radio on at a normal volume. You can feel the drag as a slight vibration approximately where your feet are when sitting in the front seats.

I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning, and of course they could not duplicate the problem. It didn't happen once on my drive there either. They are going to take another look tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic about it.

I'm not a big believer in coincidences, and I know that the water pump replacement is a big job. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the cause might be?

Take wheel off, take rotor off, look for signs of rubbing like on the shield behind it. Could be rust buildup on the rotor itself too, or even that the wheel lug nuts weren't torqued down after initial install, so don't wait to check on something like that.

The dealer was finally able to locate the problem. They didn't properly secure the fender liner after the previous service so it was rubbing.

Thanks for posting the solution, glad you got it sorted out.

Oh, welcome to the forum!

Back