2013 Ford Explorer Brake & Service Traction Control Light Came On | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Brake & Service Traction Control Light Came On

drdz_73

Reaction score
City, State
Pharr Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford ExplorerLimited
2013 Ford Explorer Brake & Service Traction Control & Traction Control Off Light Came On after negative battery terminal was loose ...after I turned the truck back on ..these 3 annoying service light came on . Does anyone know how to reset these service lights .

2013 Ford Explorer Brake & Service Traction Control & Traction Control Off Light Came On after negative battery terminal was loose ...after I turned the truck back on ..these 3 annoying service light came on . Does anyone know how to reset these service lights .
Welcome to the Forum drdz_73. :wavey:
Did you actually go into the settings to see if Traction Control is set to OFF? I'm not aware of a way to reset these warnings. You could try removing the negative battery cable for perhaps 30 minutes or so and then see if that helped when you reconnect it. Keep in mind that this will also mean that your transmission will have to go through the 'relearning' process as well as getting the trim and idle points reset which you can do as per the book or have the Ex learn them over a period of time. The other suggestion I have is to visit the dealership to make sure that you really don't have any problems with these systems. Perhaps other members may have better options.

Peter

Haven't to do this with my new Explorer, but the way I have handled these things in the past has been to go to an Autozone and borrow one of their code readers. It's free to do this.. they just hold your drivers license while you have their reader. If you're not sure how to do this, they are also usually nice enough to help you with it. They'll also be happy to sell you one for about $30, which can be a useful thing to have these days.

With the reader you can read the trouble codes, and you can also reset them all. I jot down the codes, hit the reset, and then research them on the internet when I get home. If the problem is purely transient, sometimes resetting the codes just makes them go away, but usually when it's a real problem that needs to be addressed the lights will just come back on. Sometimes right away! So at that point I'll go and read the codes again, and usually they're the same ones I first saw.

Overall, it's a bit more hassle than just taking it to the dealer, but by the time you do bring it in you will know exactly what the problem is, and that (unfortunately), when I moved, helped me determine when a new dealer wasn't being square with me about what the problem was. Keep in mind, this was with my older vehicles which were not under any warranty and so while you're under warranty you may not want to go to all this trouble.

Back