2013 Ford Explorer Limited w/ Halogen Bulbs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Limited w/ Halogen Bulbs

Right, the Explorer is based on the Taurus, not the Fusion. The MKT, I know, is definitely based on the Flex platform. You may be thinking about the MKX, which is shorter, being on the Taurus platform. The MKX is like the Edge.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer, Flex, and Lincoln MKT are all based on the Ford Taurus platform. Just to let you know.

+1

Add to that the MKS. Though the Flex & MKT are stretched versions. I believe they refer to it as the D3 platform it traces back to the Volvo S80 (older generation).

Ford's D3 platform is slightly different from Volvo's original P2. For example, D3 features steel suspension arms, rather than aluminum, and other material cost-saving measures. Volvo developed the P2 on several wheelbases, as opposed to the use of a common wheelbase among all versions of the Ford D3 chassis.

Ford assembles all D3-platform vehicles at the Chicago Assembly plant in Chicago, Illinois, while Volvos are built at the company's Torslanda Works in Gothenburg, Sweden.

D4 is a revision of D3 created to underpin crossover SUVs. It forms the basis of the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT; in 2011, the Ford Explorer moved from a body-on-frame chassis to the D4 unibody platform. The D4 uses several different wheelbases and the Lincoln MKT is designed for livery use as a stretch limousine.

My MKT was built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.

The D4 platform is used in the Flex, MKT and Explorer. The Taurus, MKS, Freestyle and Ford 500 use the D3 platform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_MKT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_D3_platform

Peter

We are straying off topic here as well. Perhaps this should be a new thread discussion.

Peter

Right, the Explorer is based on the Taurus, not the Fusion. The MKT, I know, is definitely based on the Flex platform. You may be thinking about the MKX, which is shorter, being on the Taurus platform. The MKX is like the Edge.

Peter

Flex, is the Explorer, Explorer is MKT, and MKT is Flex. Haha. It's all the same. If you go to Ford's and Lincoln's website and read the wheelbase specs of the Flex and MKT. They share the same wheelbase. The Explorer is 5 inches short, but the are the same. All are derived from the Taurus.

When comparing the 2014 Limited to the 2014, the Ford website shows the following items not available on the Sport; 20" polished wheels, 3rd row power fold 50/50 seats, heated steering wheel, lane keeping, active park assist, rain sensing wipers, body coloured mirrors with security approach lamps and turn signal indicators and luxury seating package. None of the models, Canadian or U.S. have HID fog lamps.

Peter

Naming features or items on a vehicle that are not wanted don't count. Sport owners wouldn't want 20" polished wheels when they get 20" black sport rims, The other items you mentioned I didn't even know existed. I would love the active parking assist for the wife, but that is about it. Explorer Sport does have security approach lamps and turn signal indicators and luxury seating package. I have all of those features.

I have to agree with your first statement about personal preference is key. I dont think too many ford dealers or buyers would say the limited is the top model for explorer. Also, finding a sport is nearly an impossible task especially in black with all options that are offered on the sport.

When I said the Limited was the top 'trim' model that includes all the options that aren't on the Sport, of which there are a few. That makes the Limited the top 'trim' model by default. Whether one wants the options or not is immaterial. I did a 'build' on the Ford.ca and the Limited was $56,199 and the Sport $56,499 for a difference of $350. On the U.S. site equivalent Explorers were $50,140 for the Limited and $53,005 for the Sport for a $2,865 difference. All models were 2014 and in black and had all the options one could get. The U.S. ones were built using equivalent options but not all that are available since some of the options were accessories on the Canadian site and accessories were not included. So, yes, the Sport is the most expensive, mainly because of the engine but it doesn't offer all the options that a Limited does.

Peter

But one has more horsepowers...
And we all know what that means...
Top trim debate settled :p

When you use the term 'trim' in regards to vehicles, it means the amount of standard and optional features that are available. A more powerful engine is just one feature and doesn't make up for the the extra options available on the Limited. As I've said before, when you take all the standard and optional features into account, the Limited comes out on top. That is a fact that anyone can see by just comparing the models and their standard and optional equipment. That is precisely why I used the term 'trim' in my posts. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Back